Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Poll: What issues with Space Engineers frustrate you the most?

Discussion in 'General' started by opethbtbam, Nov 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. opethbtbam Apprentice Engineer

Hey everyone! We’re releasing a public poll on Space Engineers about what issues bother players the most. The poll uses Google Forms, and will be open to anyone with a Google account. There are 30 options (31 if you count “other”) and you will be allowed to select up to 5 choices, though you can select fewer if you like. The selections were chosen over the weekend through various discussions and which things were brought up the most often, while at the same considering their weight and legitimacy. The choices are set to randomize for every person, so there is no priority from top to bottom. You cannot edit your choices after submitting your answers. The link to the poll is below. Enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedi8helRtIMbhgYYxV1iLjBE6irgCnw9cyEYBIB0SUcPg1Wg/viewform

• Like Like x 2
  2. Capt. Favio Apprentice Engineer

If it where in my power i will check every option.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Out of these i went with "No Female Engineer", "No decorative blocks", "Game Crashes", "No campativility between large and small blocks" and "Other: Poor communication of gameplay changes / Too many gameplay changes". Kinda disappointed that last one didn't make it on the list while stuff that needs adressing anyway (Clang and other bugs) and stuff they can't really change (like the Speed Limit) did. Overall i'd say the format of the other thread was giving me a way better way to express my problems than this list, to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

None of the questions applied fully to me, my main gripe with space engineers is that their is nothing forcing me to leave my comfort zone, as soon as I find a reliable set of resources I can live indefinitely with every luxury I would ever want. I kinda wish there was a battle star galactica type gamemode, that forced me to stay on the move, with harder and harder opponents.

5. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Shouldn't that be covered under "General balancing issues", "Lack of content", "Lack of progression/endgame content", "Poor enemy AI" to an extent, "No NPCs" probably and/ or "No story"?

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. FatalPapercut Senior Engineer

No female engineer, though I lump this under "lack of character customization".
    No decorative blocks, since it would be nice to have a few under the eye of the dev team instead of risking mod authors abandoning their work.
    Game crashes, I'm fine with a few bugs, hell, some even turn into features, but crashes have zero positives.
    Poor wheel functionality, though this might be my fault and adding a proper tutorial would suffice.
    Other: No ability to apply different colors to different sides of armor cubes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I picked all clang/stability/performance reasons. And lack of decorative blocks because it's difficult to make anything look hospitable to humans.

It's all important of course.. but not having a rage-quit because you tried a piston (or anything else) and it exploded for no reason should be highest on the list. Well, right under straight up crashing.
    These are things that appear basic and should be rock solid but always end in tears.
    The wheels too. Every attribute is only up to 65% at best. They can't be trusted.

And if your friend simply sitting in the flight seat causes the ship to wildly spin at much faster rates than the ship is even capable of, let's be honest here that isn't really multiplayer at all.

2/3 of this list seems premature to me when considering the current state of the game. I realize that there's different people/teams concentrating on fine tuning the balance while others work the netcode and stuff.. but you asked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

No because what I am asking for is usually perceived as not in line with the sandbox point of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AceNepets Apprentice Engineer

Here are a few things that break my experience and immersion in the game:
    1. Conservation of Mass is Ignored (Level of Frustration: Minor Annoyance): Grids should be the same or decreasing mass when refining and assembling things. Instead, the Refineries suspiciously make mass disappear, with no exhaust or tailings being generated. When assembling components, the mass of the closed system increases, which is just dumb.
    2. No Frames of Reference (Level of Frustration: Minor Annoyance): Not being able to walk on a moving ship. Flames "flowing" from a (constant velocity) moving ship, which is a dead hulk that is just drifting with no acceleration. Flame sprites/effects should have velocity, and flowing flames should only happen for things that are accelerating while burning.
    3. Battery Components are being scrapped (Level of Frustration: Anger, Rage and Cursing): There is nothing more infuriating than remembering what it was like before Keen made the scrap mechanic for the battery components when grinding down a battery. Battery components should have a charge value, much like oxygen and hydrogen bottles, such that when they are "new", they come with a 30% charge, and when harvested, they keep given level. If that is too hard, do this: If a battery is being grinded down and it's charge state is above 30%, then the character harvests intact battery components. If the battery was below 30%, then the character harvests scrap metal as per the current configuration.
    4. No Radar detection/evasion, warning or countermeasures (Level of Frustration: Anger, Rage and Cursing): We got the Jump drive in the weeks leading up to the release of planets, and that was a good decision, as it allows for players to travel the vast distances between worlds. The conjugate that Keen should have realized and also implemented was that players need the ability to detect other players at range, and the ability for players to know that they are being detected, and to have valid countermeasures. This is something that deserves an entire separate post, but in short we need passive and active sensors (Such as Radar, Lidar, IR Cameras, Hyperspectral Imagers) and passive and active countermeasures (such as Radar-Absorbant-Materials, Heat-signature mitigation/redirection, and Chaff and Flares). Much to be balanced in introducing this, but in short, hiding in asteroids should be totally safe, but moving in open space makes you a visible target to a certain range, and casting a radar or Lidar beam makes you an obvious target to everyone else while increasing your sensing range to a degree. Please note that with 2100+ hours of play time in this game, this is the one feature I've most wished for; otherwise the endgame in multiplayer is just sitting around wishing that I could take on other factions with my super battle cruiser, but no way to find them.
    5. Antenna power formula is wrong (Level of Frustration: Mild suspicion that nobody at Keen is an Amateur Radio Operator). The power used by antennas in the game should be to the square of the desired range, instead of linearly proportional. Kerbal has implemented this correctly. Not implementing this correctly is like saying Force = Mass * Velocity; its downright incorrect. See the Friis Transmission Equation
    6. Poor Defensive Tools for Offline players (Level of Frustration: Occasional Heartbreak): Gatling guns should have a maximum range of 10's of kilometers. Gatling rounds should move several km per second, and should be effective against missiles. The tradeoff is that accuracy of said rounds follows a Gaussian distribution that spreads as distance increases. The player must decide on the max engagement range, as setting it too high only wastes ammo, and too low at the peril of being out-ranged.
    7. Jump Drives should include objects inside the bounding box / ellipsoid (Level of Frustration: Minor Annoyance): This is a suggestion that was on the GitHub source code pull request list a while ago. Someone made the modification to the game code that would have any players and grids contained inside the bounding box of the jumping ship be included in the jump. It would be awesome to implement this, as it makes no sense that players standing in the ship should suddenly be left in open space when the ship around them jumps away.
    Edit: Just realized that I meant to post this in the "what-made-me-rage-quit" thread, sort of out of place in this "response-to-poll" thread. Oh well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. oleando Apprentice Engineer

I don't know if any of you know anything of shores of hazeron, but a new player buying space engineers expects a level of respect to relative velocity equal to that game and recent mainstream space games, specially when the game is called "Engineers"
    Agreed that's pretty much rage inducing, also regarding antennas, i think all antennas need a range buff.
    If you are going to make a game in space, you can't let the player rely only on his eyes and guts like if it was war thunder, you must also give long range scanning, trajectory tracking (specially for small ships), and (for large ships) long range engagement ability.
    Also if the server locked you in first person, making a warship with cameras in the present state is practically impossible, as it would just be a large blind box, cameras need a small level of freedom of rotation and clear visuals, capable of zooming towards very far targets (fix the skybox, it looks like a .jpg file). Also a good way to balance large ships, would be the existence of stealth modules for small ships, making them impossible to track by automatic targetting for some time, forcing players to take control of (the hopefully future polished) gatling guns, making the first step towards a multi crew ship necessity. [EDIT] These stealth modules would require quite the amount of energy and resources to make, this to make using them not viable for missiles [EDIT]

In the end, except what i stated above, the multiplayer is Developers curses inducing, and mostly the cause why all my friends avoided SE like a plague, specially while put in combo with general clangs without apparent reason, general desyncs, landing gears, pistons, rotors connectors blah blah blah... and clanging in general, the weird system of multigrids, including wheels, yes that wasn't a smart idea making them small separate grids, they act in an alien way that i cannot describe and cause a lot of rage in the process of breaking your stuff, snapping and flying away, or (sometimes by error) bouncing your rover into outer space.

[EDIT 2]I'll add another problem in this game: the inability to manipulate your creations effectively, without the use of landing gears (which are demonic forces right now), the engineer requires the ability to move around or carry very small amounts of small blocks with not too much mass, this ability being similar to medieval engineers, and working even better in space[EDIT 2]

[EDIT 3]Ideas keep coming: the game over state when you're out of hydrogen in space without gravity, that makes no sense, the engineer should still be able to push himself around inside a ship if he's touching a surface.[EDIT 3]

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Echillion Senior Engineer

Where to start hmmm?

Unless there's a storyline against it there should be male and female astronaut characters as we have them today let alone in 2077

The main gripes that most players have:

Multiplayer functionality which I know your working on atm but it needs to be stable enough that 10+ players can be on a server at 1.00 sim speed at 60ups while they are building/grinding/fighting as that is the true test of a multiplayer function that it works while under load preferably as many players as possible.

Pistons and rotor stability as I've had them explode even in creative mode let alone on a DS! and not being able to trust them has stopped me and many other players not using them in their designs and thus limiting our creativity.

Yes I would like radar I'm not going to lie.

As for bugs,crashes,and overall game performance its down to the quality of the developers work to sort these out so that their kept to a minimum as no one likes playing a game that could crash or bugs that could ruin their gaming experience.

Personally I would like these features/items considered as well as the above mentioned:

- Neutral factions to be fixed/working.
    - large grids to have gattling guns/artillery cannons like the small grids plus twin or triple barrel turrets?
    - some interior blocks like beds and desks would be nice.
    - the hydrogen tanks capacity to be upped as their quite large but don't last long on full burn?
    - the small grid gattling and missile turrets bases to be made 3x3 instead of 5x5 as their quite bulky.
    - Some 2x1x1 round/ed blocks would be nice since we have the triangular ones?
    - Batteries going back to when we could get the powercells back when we ground them down?
    - some more planet variations such as Mercury,Venus,Jupiter,Saturn,Uranus, Neptune,Pluto?

I just want the game fixed and playable! No Bugs,Memory leaks,Clang!,Server and/or Game crashes,rotors and pistons working as intended and a decent working Multiplayer!

12. Howitz Junior Engineer

seeing the choices available, you guys know pretty much where the problems are :woot:.

13. sepen_ Trainee Engineer

Was surprised how many hits 'Lack of progression/endgame content' gets, as I wouldn't have thought SE appeals to progression/endgame gamers in the first place. For my part I dread Keen locking tech behind arbitrary prerequisites! Endgame content however could be realized in a fun way, I think. And also in a way that'd allow disinterested parties to ignore it.

Had to add as others:
    • crude HUD that's not realizing potential at all
    • cross grid API

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Malware Master Engineer

There was a hud option.

As for scripting stuff, forget it. It'll be voted out bad enough to go to hell and back and still have enough for the return trip. There's just too few of us in comparison to the general population.

15. odizzido Junior Engineer

I think the endgame content could just mean a reason to build something/problem to solve. I like to have an objective when I am playing, though SE offers enough that I have been able to create my own, such as optimising designs and such. I think that with a multiplayer campaign that works well SE could be amazing.

16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Don't be surprised at lack of people concerned with "endgame" when it's so far down the road compared to these other issues.

17. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I picked stuff that mods can't easily fix, and where's the Femgineer? Still bizarre that the world of 1300AD got her before 2077. Being able to at least select a head and skin tone would be nice, too.

Looking for more to do on planets, would like advanced compounds on the alien world that you want to fight the spiders for to get fancy stuff.

A lot of that stuff we know is coming anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DS_Marine Apprentice Engineer

Not really, taking into account that we got treebeard's face because it was 'donated' from ME .D

19. ZinuxGamer Trainee Engineer

hmmm "endgame" voted no. 4 currently ... apprently some are concerned about it.

20. Azirahael Apprentice Engineer

Glad this ain't a steam forum.

Do you know the kind of rage and hatred that would be generated over there, with so many wondering where the female engineer is?

21. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

I picked "No Radar" and a few performance issues.
    I mean, there's already a good radar script on the workshop but the only thing missing is a long range sensor. A sensor with a range greater than 50 meters.

Gib BSG DRADIS.

22. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

I picked No NPCs, Lack of Diversity on Planets, Bad UI, Lack of Progression, and Poor inventory management. :)
    --- Automerge ---
    I definitely like the idea of Jump Drives have a bounding box, that would mean you couldn't always warp away from your problems, ships near you would get warped to! :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. oleando Apprentice Engineer

Let's just be honest for a second, what's the point of adding something so superfluous, when there's a lot of work needed just to make the core concept of the game work?

24. tharkus Junior Engineer

if instead of "lack of female engineer" there would be stated "lack of character customization" i could vote for that :)

25. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Immersion, player identification in MP, player customization is always fun - basically what @tharkus says; skincolor slider would be nice as well. Treebeard isn't a character in his own right, he's an avatar for the player and should be treated as such unless they come out with a story. (And if they DO come out with a story chances are they're going to have need for more than one character.)
    Your argument is also inherently flawed - the art department isn't responsible for getting the core concept to work. Once the new blocks are done they'll be sitting around warming their thumbs, not counting the occasional new block. Add the fact that they now have a serviceable female face to slap into Treebeard's hemlet (if they want to do it quick) and a body to modify (if they want to do it properly) and there is no point in wondering how much the female engineer is going to take away from the core conept - they're not even touching. Who YOU want to work overdrive are the physics guys, the multiplayer guys, the bug testers and bug fixers. And they're doing exactly that, and have done so for the last year. There's a reason the art department has had the time to do this massive (if unnecessary) revampt of every single block in the game, that reason being aforementioned thumb-warming while the coders get the game in working order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. oleando Apprentice Engineer

then the best course of action would be giving all block a final or close to final state and make customization (beyond just suit colour) a thing after the multiplayer becomes playable, as character ahestetics is more appreciated if not only you, but someone else can see it.
    If i remember correctly someone spoke of adding perks or roles in the future of the game development, if that actually becomes a thing, customization would pretty much be a necessity at that point, but right now it really isn't, making projects for an user interface revamp has even stronger priority than customization right now, because the control panel screens are becoming more and more cluttered and not very intuitive for new players, they are simply restricted by the current layout that could be changed to accomodate more accessibility and speed to information.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  27. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Well, speak for yourself there, buddy; if that was a thing nobody would play Singleplayer.

Yes, the UI needs adressing badly in just about every sector. One question though... how many 3d artists do you think it's gonna take to revamp a 2d Control Panel or HUD overlay...?

28. sepen_ Trainee Engineer

For me, there was only a general UI option, Malware.

HUD as in head-up display, or 'the helmet' here because that's the stuff one can experience 'in the world' w/o impairing vision in menus: It's crude, doesn't realize lots of its potential, and it's low hanging fruit for easy eye-candy that's in everybody's face right away.
    The UI as a whole however isn't in dire need of a re-do imo and a much larger can of Arrakeen sandworms.

29. Malware Master Engineer

Oooh, I see. Yes, that I can agree with, except as a former UX person I do feel the UI as a whole does need a major rework. Although it wasn't an option I selected as there are even more important things. But it was high on the consideration list...

30. System Error Message Trainee Engineer

Ui Its less to do with the artist, more to do with programming as shown by some mods, more to do with programming. 3D UI also uses more performance where shadows and voxels need it.

For a UI overhaul, scaling from size and how information is displayed is better rather than a 3D HUD.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.