Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Posibility for a dynamic block that make tracks for land vehicles for like tanks and such

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by emfantryman, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. emfantryman Trainee Engineer

I was thinking that it could be a new wheel type that when placed it is just a wheel but once you place them near each other they act like a projection block to show the rout for the track and once you finish the rout you desire the material cost will update to accommodate the tracks and when welding the wheels you will also be welding the segment of track that is with it.

2. Sinbad Senior Engineer

i want the physics to support belts in general, with the ability to mount blocks on them. then we could use them not only for tracks, but also for carriage drives in giant 3D scan printer and grinding machines. or for pulling trams along. or moving fighters onto the line for takeoff. or as a pmw launch system...

i want parts of systems that can be used in many ways, not pre-made single use 'system in a block' solutions that limit creativity. like suspension wheels (i know, dead horses don't feel the blows...)
    so sure tracks, but lets make them as a generic part and not with a specific use-case in mind.

3. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Wait 5-10 years for the GPUs and CPUs to become more beastly, and you'll get what you want.

4. Malware Master Engineer

Holy crap... You don't want much, do you... Bye bye performance :p

(too many contact points)

I know, I know. Not fair because it's not easy to understand the natural limitations of simulated physics as regards to games as dynamic as SE. I myself only have a fleeting idea based more on educated guesses than anything else. Contact points was always an issue though. I do believe there is a way to do an approximation, but general support? I have a hard time believing that.

(note to self: finish and proofread your text before posting, idiot!)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sinbad Senior Engineer

oh, i know its a major thing. almost as bad as cables that are fully modeled with collision. or water with displacement based bouyancy... hehe.
    its still on my wishlist of 'cool things to play with'
    ok what i really want is to have creative mode in the real world so i can tinker without a budget. until then, SE FTW!

6. TodesRitter Moderator

-deleted yes/no poll

7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

well heres one from about 3 years back.
    doesn't look very fast and might be a very vulnerable target

8. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Block based tank tracks just tend to suck the life out of SE, it's just a massive amount of collisions to calculate, and as such it gets quite hard on Sim speed, I would love either this suggestion, or something that would emulate tracks, even if it's just a connected texture system with wheels

9. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

There was a way to create sort of trucks, now it's gone. Perhaps some moder who knows game code very well could reinstate exploit whitch was fully avaliable for everyone. In general it was possibility to place suspension block next to each other with spawned wheels with no collision to other wheels. Can't explain it better, it's easier to show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, this suspension set has been created a year ago, it's still fully usable, but once one wheel is gone it can't be spawned back. Luckily this type of trucks is highly durable almost impossible to be destroyed by rolling over rough terrain. Whells can be shoot off tho. If there was a way to turn off collision of real_wheel against other real_wheel like it was many updates before you would have trucks. Given example has 20 wheels each side, turns by inverting propulsion direction, friction adjusting and small gyro help.

10. Malware Master Engineer

Sorry, but that looks absolutely hacky and horrible to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

It's Better performance wise (afaik) than making tracks of comparable size with blocks and rotors, one of the Devs told me that my largest set of tracks caused lag because there were over 1500 seperate collisions at basically any given time. I don't think we need a super complex system, just something that would make multiple vehicle types be available to us, there's a good reason a lot of mining equipment are on tracked bases (half of which don't apply to SE, but let me dream damnit)

12. halipatsui Senior Engineer

How high that thing jumps with fully charged x jump?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

I have no idea, I've never tried it, I will check that later.

14. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Better question would be how fast it past border of visible universe with that many wheels.

15. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Roughly 350 meters, could be more, haven't checked it without parachute automaton (it opens parachutes after passing 50 meters of planet surface).

With default wheel torque? Not sure, i use moded suspension block, torque x4. In other words I've got default 100% of wheel power at 25%. More reasonable for wheelers with 4 wheels, but even with power x4 it doesn't accelerate to rapidly, and it take about half of minute to reach 100 meters per second. Also I use own automation handling wheel power if you start from zero.

power = 1 + (speed / 2) + (10 * seconds of holding forward key)

Something like that, it allows to increas torque and acceleration smoothly, even while extreme hill climbing. This monster is really well thought, even has recently popular in modern cars hill assistant, both up and down. Practically you don't have to use handbrake button, very convenient.

16. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

What we need is a rubber block to prevent damage and have high friction

17. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Wheel
    Or if not durable/grippy enough
    Wheel suspensions with handbrake

18. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

It would be nice if wheel block (not the one attached to suspension real_wheel) has friction setting and less squared shape. I would love to build rotored wheeler on custom rotored suspension set. Actually I did first decent attempt, but it's pointless since it doesn't roll. Back to the subject recently I've been working onto tracked tank. Tracks made of exploited suspension wheel, it would be way easier if developers team would just add tracks cause frankly tracks are awesome. Wheel suspension placed one next to each other works so well even onto smaller vehicles. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to reinstate exploit possible back in a day (one I've showed at the begging) but to make things more realistic relay speed of every wheel on each side to slowest one. Is there a way to control wheels through PB? I know it wasn't possible, but i haven't checked it after wheel major release. Way to control and check current RPM along with direction, current angle would be great.

19. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Not possible to manage wheels trough pb apart from the sliders you can use manually afaik.

If you are talking about rotor wheels that is definitely possible with scripts

20. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

I know about it. Digi's scrip along with control module offers such feature. Controling is not problem with rotors, wheel block attached to rotor part is. I've suggested couple weeks ago making wheel block functional block with proper sliders and more round shape. Before that I've checked forum history and i haven't found any topic about uselessness of wheel block, now its good enough onlu for deco purposes. I've been in to wheels long time before planet release, hooe I'm not only one who cares about keeping astronauts on grounds.

Anyway, @halipatsui thanks for checking out if there is possibility to control wheels via PB after recent release. I'm not programmer, best i can do with script to see through patterns and modify it, sometimes I manage to fix em after update, but mostly I'm regular script user.

21. halipatsui Senior Engineer

You dont either need digis control module fof wasd controls.
    Pesticides timer driver script allows you to bind timer blocks to wasd buttons. I use it on my mechs.

22. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

I know, but control module is very convenient. I can do practically everything with ctrl mod and easy automation script, this combination suits mechs, rovers, tanks, flying objects, ib other words total control over system blocks.

23. Saberwulfy Apprentice Engineer

Non non, the rubber from a wheel.
    If you need meat you do not buy a sandwich, we need rubber blocks with as much shapes than armor block.
    Rubber have anti-slip and perfect low kinetic resistance
    So rubber+rotor+rubber will to create a kinetic resistant chain, and rubber can be used for a lot applications like: bumper, bulldozer blade, protection against rotor arm impact...
    Every car and ship will use rubber because it's easy to fit, lightweight, cheap, totally safe.

24. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

@Saberwulfy you convinced me. Rubber is what we need, difficult to implement thou.

25. Malware Master Engineer

Rubber in space. Might as well use glass :p

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.