Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Procedural(-ish) Planets

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Auhrii, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

WAIT, don't burn me at the stake yet! Hear me out! That includes you. Yes, you, put your pitchfork down.

So it's my understanding of planets that they're generated from a biome map and a height map, both images, and attributes such as gravity, atmosphere density/composition, ore deposits and whatnot are taken from an .sbc file.

I've seen a couple of procedural planet suggestions on these forums before, but from what I've seen they talked more about procedural generation voxel by voxel. Instead, why not just generate the biome/height maps (again, they are just images after all) and the attributes, and then generate the planet as normal from this procedurally generated data? It could even be included in the mod pipeline from a server standpoint - if you're joining a server that procedurally generated a planet or a moon, it loads its files as if that planet/moon were a mod.

To take this already pretty ludicrous suggestion further, adding support for actually defining gas types in an atmosphere (and being able to collect them with air vents) would be fantastic! But maybe this would be for another thread if procedural(-ish) planets ever went ahead...

Okay, now you can burn me at the stake. Just no pitchforks, please.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Malware Master Engineer

Because the problem was never actually generating the planets, but generating interesting planets - in the allotted time. They tried procedural planets first. They simply weren't able to come up with an algorithm that was both fast enough and able to generate interesting geometry.

Not to mention that the height maps require quite a bit of memory so you'd be limited as to how many you can have in a world anyway. Depending on your hardware, obviously.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gothosan Junior Engineer

Can I pick my pitchfork up now? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Auhrii Apprentice Engineer

Please no pitchforks. I'm allergic.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.