Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Ranos' 3rd Ship Building Contest - £100 Steam Gift Card Up For Grabs

Discussion in 'Creation Contests' started by Ranos, Jan 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ranos Trainee Engineer

Here we are again for a third year.

This years theme: Halo: UNSC

Rules:
    1. Build a large ship that is able to fly on planets and space.
    2. It must have a large hangar for the mod reviews to take place in.
    3. The floor of the hangar must be armour blocks so I can place mod blocks on them.
    4. Other rooms it will need to have: Captians Quarters, Craw Quarters for a minimum of 4, 64 max, mess hall, infermery, bridge and briefing room. You can have more types of rooms tho.
    5. Must have an assembler, refinery, arc furnace and uranium centrifuge(?) (Mod block), but can have more then just one of each.
    6. Must have weapon mount points on this sides and/or top.
    7. Your ship must be complete before entry.
    8. The upload must has "ranos" in the description or title so I can find it.

Hangar size requirements:
    Length: 25-30 blocks
    Width: 20-25 blocks
    Hight: 12-15 blocks

Small hangars for small ships are acceptable.

Briefing room must have at least 1 LCD for writing mod names and creators on.

The weapon mount point must be empty and have space for a 5x5x5 block turret.

Prizes:
    1st: £100 Steam Gift Card
    2nd: £50 Steam Gift Card
    3rd: £30 Steam Gift Card

10 runner-ups will get a £10 Steam Gift card each.
    (Steam will convert the currency. The amount will be effected by current exchange rates.)

Entries must be in by 30th April 2019. Winners will be reviled on 10th May 2019

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I have a few questions...

1. Are you expecting the ship to look like one of the Halo USNC ships? If so, I'm not sure how closely I need to pattern the ship after an existing Halo design, or how much I can deviate before my design is disqualified. I guess it'll be pretty subjective.

2. Does a modless build gain anything in the contest, or are you encouraging the use of as many mods as we want?

3. Regarding the hangar size, are the dimensions given in meters? If so, then I'm assuming a large-grid hangar (with blocks having a dimension of 2½ meters on each side) would be 10-12 blocks long, 9-10 blocks wide, and 5-6 blocks high. Is this a correct interpretation?

4. Regarding the weapon mount point, is the 5x5 dimension given in meters or large-grid blocks? For example, a vanilla gatling or missile turret encompasses 3x3x3 a bounding box of large-grid blocks (i.e., 7½x7½x7½ meters), so are you requiring less space than a vanilla turret? Also, what vertical clearance does the turret mount point require.

5. Is there a particular uranium centrifuge mod you expect to be used?

3. Ranos Trainee Engineer

1. It will need to have the same style. There are a lot of ships on the workshop that are like what I'm looking for.
    2. The contest is more about looks and functionality, so you can use as many mods as you like. There is a world linked above with the mods I often use.
    3. The size is given in large ship blocks. I'll add that to the main post to make a bit more clear.
    4. This is also in large ship blocks. The vertical clearance would also need to be 5 blocks.
    5. I didn't know there are more then one mod with a uranium centrifuge. This is the one shown in the video: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=311875582

4. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Good luck to all that enter! I briefly attempted a go at this and after laying out just the hangar...these ships are going to be massive! I just do not have the patience or time to spend on entering this one. :(

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Noting the clarifications given above, I agree, the ships will be massively massive. I'm not sure I want to take on such a monster build. I'll think about it.

6. Ranos Trainee Engineer

That's understandable. It is quite a large hangar.

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

My son wants us to do this. Massively massive. Titan engines. Whup-ass guns. The works. Damn the graphics card and full speed ahead!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

Well, I'm setting myself up for a tough one, Scale model of the UNSC Valiant..... 1,618L x 373W x 435H
    I'm might have to do some mods on this one..... I'd like to do it vanilla, but.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I am sure we are going to see some impressive and very massive works from this contest. I will just be here like :eek:

10. Ranos Trainee Engineer

That's going to be big O_O, looks like I'll have to make my ship yard a bit bigger :woot: Or just make a space one.

11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

For clarification regarding the large hangar, does the opening to the hangar need to be full size, i.e., a minimum of 12 blocks x 25 blocks, assuming the width dimension is the depth of the hangar? If not, can I make the opening to the hangar smaller in the height direction? An 8-block opening would work really well for my design.
    --- Automerge ---
    Never mind. I shoe-horned a 12-block x 27-block opening in the side of that critter.

12. Ranos Trainee Engineer

A larger opening would be nice, but an 8 block opening will also work. The first ship that won this contest only had an 6x4 opening.

13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I decided it's time to get big or go home. I've got 800 meters of pure bigness.

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That ship's mass will be pushing toward 200 million kg before I'm done. It's not fat...it's just heavy-boned.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Uh-oh. I'm not done tricking out the ship's guts and I'm already punching up against the "physical shapes" limit. Now I've got to figure out how to proceed...

16. starmindfr Apprentice Engineer

the most funny part is to have to landing on earth and taking off... hopefully theses mod cheated giant engines allow insanes things (i beleive the ship will just broke in part with air / G forces). But again thanks to offer a nice challenge to us Ranos :)

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

My ship will currently do it, but with the physical shapes limitation there's going to be a lot of empty space within. I don't think it's feasible to design a vanilla (modless) ship that will meet the requirements, but stranger things have happened.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

It is only empty if you do not have an imagination...lol

19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

"Empty" will take on an entirely new meaning when you see the belly of the beast.

20. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Make random hallways, "storage rooms", Maintenance tunnels... I dunno just throwing out random ideas :D Easy for me to say when I myself do not have the patience to attempt a ship of this size. Lol. I commend all of you who are working towards the prize!

21. Ranos Trainee Engineer

Don't worry too much about the empty space, I know it can be a bit hard to fill large ships. I've still got some empty space in the Earth Eater Remake.

22. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I'm redoing a bunch of the build to squeeze the number of physical shapes downward. I've completed the hangars, crew mess & lounge, crew quarters, forward gun bay, escape pod bay, materials processing bay, medical bay, vehicle bay, and ground assault troop bay. I still have the briefing room, officer's mess and quarters, and captain's quarters to finish. Still, I'm guessing that right about 2/3 of the core will be empty, even with all I've done. You can put a lot of stuff in an 800-meter long ship, that's for sure!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.