Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Reasonable expectation train considering the next major update

Discussion in 'General' started by halipatsui, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@JD.Horx what @Malware says. Even before the interview i would have reckoned that "no femgineer for SE" would've been the more likely end-state than "paid femgineer for SE", altough i wouldn't entirely put it past Marek's unexplainable ideas of "stages", "phases" and "versions" which, frankly, can mean anything between everything and nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Spets Master Engineer

you think if they add a femgineer will increase the amount of female players in SE which is currently about 0.00011/2 % ?
    that could be a great marketing move like planets

jk... but maybe ... hmm

3. PLPM Junior Engineer

If marketing is the focus then there are WAY better things to focus on (Balancing I`d say and in general making gameplay less stiff and stale, but that`s my belief)

But I too would like the femgineer.

4. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

Ah, sorry. Just saw the words „femgineers“ and „cashdollars“ in your comment and my alarm bells went off, was still half asleep.

5. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

You can pretty much guarantee one patch note: "We have fixed some crashes"

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

At this point, we're so late in the game then why bother with all the "surprises." Just lay your cards on the table and let us know where it will end up. There are no new features to add... so what the heck... let's just throw out another road map like the last one. The drive is a lot shorter from this point on. So there's not much that can change within a few degrees.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

SE 2....Kind...sorta?...maybe?...SOON....ish Mark already made it very clear that he wants to get SE into a relase ready state ASAP so he dosent have to sink any more money into it :p IMO (honestly dosent see how development on SE can pull any profit anymore...i doubt keen is selling very many copys of the game. Not because of the Q/A- Interveiw, more of lack of any real major feature release and age of development. SE has shown all its cards in other words.)

8. Malware Master Engineer

@TidusKlein It's not as old as you might think. It's not slow, that's a myth. It's just about the right age to be closing in on being finished. 5-6 years for a game as complex as this? I see no issue with that, software development takes a lot of time. Gold release will probably see a nice rise in sales as well from the plenty of people who are smart enough to stay far away from early access games ;) - depending, of course, on what state the game is in when it is actually finished, which is not quite yet.

Also you won't be seeing any SE2 any time soon. Unless I misunderstood Marek (which is quite possible), SE2 (or rather, whatever the next title would be) would not be developed in Early Access.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

10. Cetric Junior Engineer

Oh, I would not like to have missed the constant drama over three years for me, the "expectation hype trains" about this and that update and what else excitements we happen to come across here... including some alien lifeforms...
    --
    Compare this with a boring grasp into some shop shelves taking a released game into your cart. A ten seconds story.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. TidusKlein Apprentice Engineer

I know 5 years in development really is not all that long, especially for AAA titles and things like this. What im saying when i say SE has shown all its cards is that it already has a reputation thats both good and bad. In all honestly we will have to see how keen does this next major update before “release” it could end up making or breaking the game.

12. Malware Master Engineer

@TidusKlein True. But: Who said the next major update was the last before release? :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

For myself, I think I'm going through something like withdrawal. Near 5 years of weekly updates and now almost a month with not a peep. It hurts...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Calaban Junior Engineer

LOL- #UpdateWithdrawlAnxiety

With Symptoms of paranoia and "sky is falling" end of it all text-Tourettes syndrome outburtsts

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I wish they were working on a Server version of SE that ran on Linux. I'd pay serious money for that.

16. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

17. Wazoo117 Trainee Engineer

No hydrogen/windfarm hype?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. odizzido Junior Engineer

I think maybe when people went "uhhh, engines can't run on water" they started to think maybe it wasn't a good idea. It was pretty silly.

I expect a new skybox and for it to be the final release.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Malware Master Engineer

Nah. At least two, maybe three inclusive if we allow for a last fixit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Calaban Junior Engineer

Water is some pretty amazing stuff.. after electrolysis, it breaks into a very explosive mixture of gasses. An internal combustion engine could be designed to run off of water if an electrolysis system with enough water cracking ability was supplying it. Uh-oh, now Big Oil is going to come and shut me up the violent way... if you believe the conspiracy theories.

Interestingly- The IRL Apollo Command module was powered by a water fuel cell:
    https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/fuel-cell-apollo-4

actually, it worked the other way: taking h2 and o2 gas and combining them- making electricity and drinking water... which is still pretty cool. [I submitted a recommendation for a gas burning power plant- using tanked h2 and o2 like a reverse oxygen generator- providing power and ice from the gasses]

Also technically- the space shuttle got to space using water- sure it took a massive rig to separate the water and chillers to liquefy the resultant gasses.. but in the end it was liquid hydrogen and oxygen burning rockets. oh, a lot like the h2 thrusters we use in game- the h2 wont burn without a little o2.

all just Water. simply amazing. (that is why ice on the moon or on Mars is such a big deal- its our power, water, breathing air, and rocket fuel)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Fuel cells and the like run on the combustion of Hydrogen, and produce water as their exhaust. I agree that this is cool, but, the main problem why it's "silly" is that the prior conversion of H2O to H2 and O2 requires more energy put in than the final combustion puts out. In the end you would need an additional energy source to power the fuel creation all so you can have a fuel that makes ice when it's used. Ice you already must have had to begin with.

In fact I think the reason it won't be implemented is that it doesn't add any new mechanics or solve any problems that current mechanics already can.

Frankly, I think we are done with ANY new implementations and can only really expect basic polishes to the current state, and a femgineer (and this only because OMG ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO OSTRACIZE HALF THE POPULATION IN THE 21st CENTURY). I should add that I would be fine with this. Make it work consistently, and stop bending the modders over the table.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Arcturus Senior Engineer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pseudoscientific_water_fuel_inventions

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. Calaban Junior Engineer

All fuel actually costs more energy to make "engine ready" than it gives when burning in the engine. Even Gasoline. Moot point, this one.

Given that this game already has superconductors.. as in room temp superconductors, well then things get interesting.

With superconducting electrolysis it would be a 1-1 ratio between crack and burn, both in the electrolysis plates not wasting any energy as heat, and the pickup coils from the burning not losing anything to heat either. moving the same water around and around in itself is an engine able to provide "work"

wow. dont even get me started on superconducting thermovoltaics!

[wanders off in sci fi dreamland of the possibilities]
    [[for one- a superconducting thermovoltaic would never "equalize" by warming up/cooling down.. meaning 100% power all the time there is a temp difference]]

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

I don't think you understand the difference between 'costing energy' and 'costing more energy than...'

So you want to add superconductors to the build cost for O2/H2 (from ice and electricity) Generators, so you can have an electricity and ice generator from O2/H2 ?

There is already a perpetual motion machine in the game:

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Calaban Junior Engineer

Oh I do understand.
    - The energy to turn crude oil into gasoline per gallon is > the energy released by burning the gallon of gasoline.
    - The amount of calories burned by a sperm whale to make the fat is > than the energy released by burning whale oil in old lamps.
    - The energy to refine reactor grade uranium from raw uranium ore > than the energy released by the refined fuel rods.
    - The calories spent in photosynthesis to grow the wood of a tree > than the energy released by burning the trees' wood.
    - the energy to manufacture a solar panel is > .. well, you should get the idea by now.

Absolutely nothing is free. Or even any definition of efficient. Its just how the world, Mother Nature, and Grandmother Entropy works.

Yes. As an upgrade option, not a base requirement. As an option for an alternate power supply when you have no light, no uranium, batteries are dead, but you have full h2/o2 tanks still.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  26. odizzido Junior Engineer

I think it could be interesting as a gameplay mechanic, using h2/o2 as a high density but more complicated battery, especially if you could get your ice back at the end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

I'm sorry but 2 out of the 5 are just plain wrong.
    Crude oil and raw uranium ore both contain energy, they do need extra processing to get them into a form where you can extract this energy. Its stuff that you find lying about that contains large amounts of energy, sure you have to sort out the useless stuff from what you want to use but you do get a gain of energy - otherwise the entire oil and nuclear industries would be useless. Its not storing energy you already made like a battery, its burning some stuff you dug out the ground. Which is great, until you run out of stuff to dig up. Solar panels I doubt are as you suggest (taking the suggestion to be that you put more energy into making it than you get out), they last a really long time.

Knowing SE you'd be able to run your O2/H2 generator off the energy you got from burning it, which is just so... wrong.

28. PLPM Junior Engineer

@Calaban
    I`ll put it midly for you.

if stuff really needed more energy to burn an energy source than that source produces out of it, then life is not possible in anything but sporadic single ocurrances, thus, you should not exist.

And if you argue that life is able to but we humans can`t.

I`d love to hear your explanation of why is that.

29. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Energy derail aside, I reasonably expect the following from the alleged survival update (to come sometime after other updates):
    - It is held back until finished/gold, because the strategic release and surprise hype storm will boost sales.
    - The teased wind turbine, hydrogen engine, and basic assembler - but no other new blocks.
    - Players spawn on planets with a parachuting life pod that has a "Survival Kit" of basic/limited blocks, unlike the current deluxe lander or complete bases.
    - Ores and blocks are rebalanced/tweaked to make the escape to space require more steps and intermediate use of the new power sources. Reactors pushed to midgame/later, though I suspect people will just collect them off the skin loot pods instead. Perhaps uranium moved to moon/space with platinum?
    - Wasn't one of the pending changes to remove dark ore spots, but it happened too early and was seen as a bug?
    That's about it. All of the info to date suggests early game focus, and no info pertaining to anything that would affect the late/end game.

• Like Like x 2
  30. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

The fuel discussion is interesting. One of the basic mechanics of any survival game is having to continuously collect a consumable resource. In most games, this includes food and water at a minimum. In space engineers... it's fuel, whether solar, uranium, or hydrogen. And oxygen is a consumable resource i suppose, though that's almost a by product of getting fuel.

Since fuel is their only real survival mechanism, I'd expect more tweaking and uses of fuel in the mythical survival update.

Although come to think of it, the way I play, you could consider iron plate a consumable resource, the way I go through it repairing stuff....

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.