Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Refining, balancing and implementing new systems

Discussion in 'General' started by SirConnery, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I have two daughters; one is 31 and the other is 28.

3. Calaban Junior Engineer

Heres an idea for a purpose for beacons:

The problem is: beacons transmit. they broadcast. There has to be a benefit for doing so to mark a position other than using its gps coordinates.

How about an active beacon counting as a "police spawner"- spawning a friendly assailant/incisor that patrols and defends the area?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I’ve always wondered why players have never had the option to set up their own “protection” drone spawner.

5. Calaban Junior Engineer

well, having slept on it, I suppose the reason players cannot possess the npc drone AI (must be SPRT) and spawner, is the same reason we dont get battery power cells back.

Overly clever players will find a way to abuse it beyond all reason. I myself contemplated "protection" drone farming... :(

6. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Ever notice that the simpler an answer is, the harder the concept is to grasp?

Then again, the way most people play makes it risky to broadcast anything , and for a lot of players a beacon is just a bulls-eye. Most SE players are risk-adverse so they stick to antennas and waypoints in order to stay hidden, even if they have ships studded with cannons, gatling guns and rockets.

For me, a beacon that always transmitted its exact location would be a godsend. It would be great if jump drives automatically loaded the coordinates of all in-range beacons so that you could simply pick one and jump. Sure, your enemies could do that, too. Do like the Boy Scouts. Be Prepared.

You realize that "cool" and "dope" are not part of the latest generation's lingo? I remember hearing people say things like "23 skidoo" and "cat's pajamas" when I was a kid. Dope was something you slathered on aircraft fabric.

You realize that as soon as they learn you understand the lingo they'll change it, right? Whole point is so that Mom and Dad don't know what you're talking about.
    Bad never meant good. Bad always meant "not nice." Kids (mostly boys) that consistently "misbehaved" were called "bad" and, as we all know, chicks dig "bad boys".

Yeah, ok, guys like "bad girls".

Bad boys and bad girls are not good boys and girls.

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hey, I tried. I guess that makes me square.

8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

No worries. It's hip to be square.

Or, so I've been told ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Stardriver907 around the mid 80's Bad did mean good. What today's generation would say "Man that is fire!" Meaning that is awesome, we would say "Man that is bad!" example "That new Mustang is bad!" Of course there were sayings like gnarly, totally tubular and gag me with a spoon as well. Not saying my generation was that bright with euphemisms..lol. And briefly before I was a teen living in Germany ...never mind, that saying wouldn't make any sense, it would take me a couple of paragraphs, I will save you the agony.. :)

Here is a link to a few more sayings from back in the day:
    https://bestlifeonline.com/1980s-slang-terms/

10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I remember everyone saying "wicked". Wicked this and wicked that. Wicked, man.

11. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

Where this conversation went makes me want to watch Heathers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

A couple that didn't make it on the list from the 80's: Preppies, Dweeb, Hoser, Poindexter, Headbanger.... I am sure there are more... lol

14. vadersson Trainee Engineer

Man am I in the right place. What a bunch of old geezers, just like me. (Of course that is better that Gozer the gozarian…)

• Like Like x 1
  15. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

It's my younger stepkid's 17th birthday today.

(Sadly, I could never get them interested in SE; they'd been burned out on building games by their Minecraft and Terraria experiences.)

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I shouldn't have said "never". I grew up in a lower-class neighborhood in the 60s when bad meant bad. Middle and upper-class kids, hearing the word "bad" used in a context that seemed to indicate "bad" meant "good", just started using the word to mean everything, and now no one uses it. I should have said, used correctly as slang, "bad" meant "not nice."

My birthday is in a couple weeks. We'll talk about geezers then.

• Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.