Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Remote control issues.

Discussion in 'General' started by Atophy, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Atophy Trainee Engineer

From what I've heard, this is an ongoing issue with remote control blocks.
    When a drone is docked via connector, its grid vanishes in the access control menu. In my case, it adopts the name of the main grid its docked with.
    When I control that grid, I get the small grids remote block and its toolbar HOWEVER, when I decouple the connector, it kicks me out of the remote. At that point, I can reconnect to the remote control block as it should be in the access menu.
    The remote control block needs to be isolated to its own grid so this doesn't happen.

Another issue, to me anyway, is I can't view the inventory of the remote device unless I'm relatively close to it. Kinda defeats the purpose of a remote mining rig methinks, being unable to check how full its cargo is. There are of course workarounds to this, I just find it inconvenient.

2. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

Here's my workaround,
    1 Name each RC for the ship it controls, I.e. Control Miner
    2 Make a group in the 'K' menu of just the RC on the ship that it's docked with. I.e. *** Control Miner (The stars will put it to the top of the menu)
    3 Access the menu, and select the RC, and hit Control

A pain I know, but it's better than having to hunt the correct RC

3. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

And make a script to put the amount of collected ore on a LCD screen

4. Atophy Trainee Engineer

I have done that already as a workaround for not seeing the inventory, that's minor. I have however also redigned it to be a non remote craft because the biggest annoyance is that it disconnects you from the terminal, then you have to manually reconnect after decoupling. It needs to be fixed and I'm hoping someone from keen takes or has taken note of the issue.

5. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

my best work-around for this is to make sure that every block that shows up in the control panel has a unique name. This is somewhat easier when playing in survival mode because you can only place one block at a time. It's a real pain in creative because you can place scores of blocks with one keystroke. Give blocks a name as soon as possible after placing them. The name should include your name for the grid that it is on (ship/station) and perhaps a clue as to where you might find it on the grid. As stated earlier, you can put an asterisk (*) in front of the name of a block to float it to the top of the list.

"Drone01 remote" should make that remote easy to find. Also, a search on drone or remote should narrow the choices.

Part of the process of merging or connecting grids is that the game must believe two separate grids are now one. This appears to be an all or nothing proposition, meaning that the smaller grid has to lose its identity. That means the smaller grid's name has to be the larger grid's name. Fortunately that does not mean the names of the blocks on the smaller grid need to change.

Sometimes it's easier to access your remote via antenna. I don't think connecting or disconnecting a grid under remote control should disturb your control of the remote, unlike doing so from a terminal.

6. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

Shh don't give away the workarounds, Keen is watching! They may "fix" the workaround!! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thrak Apprentice Engineer