Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Request: Simple Money/Credits System

Discussion in 'Modding' started by HurricaneGirl, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

I'm told that this would be a mod rather than a script and I'm completely out of my element here.

I would like to implement a credits system on my server, but the ones I've seen thus far are overly complicated.

I would like a simple system that assigns a variable to everyone who joins the server. This variable would be assigned a number (e.g. 2000) at first joining and be stored at every log out for recall upon rejoining. Credits could be transferred between players with a simple chat command(s). Credits could be added/removed by Admins as well. There will be no stores or vending machines needed. No need for credit item/models since they're virtual.

Thanks!!

2. Conn Solo Trainee Engineer

I don't understand why people always request a currency system in sandbox games... Surely there is an ore of value that other factions would be willing to take in trade for other goods... Perhaps GOLD? or any other valuable ore... Just a speculation. Its kind of like how people in Minecraft were given Emeralds to use as currency, yet they still demand currency mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

There are reasons. If you wish to start a discussion/debate, then feel free to message me. Please dont troll on my request thread. Thanks. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Conn Solo Trainee Engineer

I'm not trolling, I'm not even calling you out on anything. I was just curious.

5. GotLag Senior Engineer

What need does currency fill that barter doesn't?

Edit: by which I mean, how are players going to choose prices?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  6. Astolas Trainee Engineer

You can use my economics mod if you want... the only problem is, its in german.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=541739838

Its quite simple... build a credits terminal, sell ingots against credits or buy ingots for credits with a loss of 20%...

If you need a english version, i can translate it for you.

And to the other guys, credits is a cool thing for roleplay servers. so there is a currency, you can calculate the material cost of a ship if you wanna sell it etc. there are money transports to rob :words:

7. Aracus Senior Engineer

8. GotLag Senior Engineer

Those are all item-based though. HurricaneGirl is asking for something that doesn't use inventory, but a server-side variable.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Astolas Trainee Engineer

sure, but such a system is not a simple small script... and i think, with physical money, you can do much more

10. GotLag Senior Engineer

True, but if it's stored as a variable and not an item, players can't be robbed of it. Online banking versus cash.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

Thanks GotLag. You're on point there. :)

I've seen the item based ones are handy but not what I'm looking for. I also don't want an "exchange rate" for items. I'd like my players (and supply & demand) to determine that themselves.

12. VonKlutch Trainee Engineer

what would you do with said money?

13. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

It would allow my players a monetary option to buy and sell resources rather than just bartering. This will be important if I decide to run a limited-resource chapter. I also want something to compensate players when I contract salvage or piracy jobs.

14. Tristavius Senior Engineer

If it's a non-item based option you're looking for, unfortunately that's beyond the current capabilities of the modding API. All the current ones effectively use Blueprint recipies to change in-game resources for a 'token'.

Might be worth a post in the Source Code forums. I do know however that at least one of the major Source Code contributors has a currency system on his to-do list, but all is on hold currently as Keen hasn't been merging in the contributions for months. They have indicated this will remain the case until planets are out the way.

15. GotLag Senior Engineer

If you want to restrict availability you could use an existing money mod (or make your own) and disable the blueprint, so players can only obtain currency by getting an admin to spawn it.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.