Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Resolved?] Blank Screen w/ Working Cursor and Audio

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Deaths_Messengr, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Deaths_Messengr Trainee Engineer

I've seen a couple entries here for similar issues, and they all seemed to be related to either some odd circumstances, or their graphics card not being supported. I've had a look at the log, and I could very easily be wrong, but in reading it, the log seemed to indicate that everything with my graphics card checked out. I just want to double check with anyone here who might understand the log a bit better before I run out and grab a new graphics card.

Here's the log. http://pastebin.com/00w4WfW2

2. Michealjcaboose Trainee Engineer

Operating system and system info? I don't think your graphics card should be experiencing any incompatibility issues.

3. Deaths_Messengr Trainee Engineer

Windows 7, fully updated. It's an HP Pavilion Slimline. Processor is an AMD 2.3 Ghz Dualcore. 3Gb of RAM. The game is located on the only hard drive, no partitions aside from the primary. The OS is fresh from a clean install not two days ago, amd as for the issue itself I've never seen anything like it even with games whose minimum requirements the computer doesn't meet.

4. Michealjcaboose Trainee Engineer

3gb of ram isn't very much for gaming, especially a game that hasn't really been optimized yet. Do you have 4 gb with only 3 recognized by windows? If so it sounds like you might be running a 32 bit version of windows 7. Does that all sound right?

5. Deaths_Messengr Trainee Engineer

Haha. Am fully aware that my computer makes a budget rig look like a god amongst machines. But yes, you're correct in that I'm running 32bit. As far as what's actually installed, it might be one stick of 1gb and 1 stick of 2gb for all I know. Last I had heard, 32bit could handle up to 8gb of RAM, so I don't know why it wouldn't be recognizing that fourth gig. In any case, if RAM was the issue, I'd hardly think it would manifest as a blank screen and rather as a sluggish fps. To clarify, this blank screen happens upon reaching the main menu. I've never even seen the interface. Only reasn I even know the game is loaded is because I can hear the mouse moving over buttons. That and the Steam shift-tab notification pops up.

6. Michealjcaboose Trainee Engineer

I would have to check and make sure that this game is compatible with 32bit operating systems. On a side note, it's very rare to see a dual channel ram stick setup with 2 different types of Ram. I have heard of 32 bit operating systems only recognizing 3 gigs out of four before. I'm fairly certain that is common. Either way my next question would be a matter of compatibility with a 32 bit operating system. Definitely make sure your graphical drivers are up to date, if I were you, I wouldn't shy away from uninstalling the current driver and reinstalling it. It probably doesn't need that, but it also couldn't hurt. This game is still pretty bare bones and rough around the edges but in time I believe that it is going to be awesome, and definitely worth trouble shooting, hang in there!

7. Deaths_Messengr Trainee Engineer

I already double checked that the driver was updated. Then I rolled it back and tested the game. No difference. Re-updated the driver, and still the same thing.

Unless someone can chime in here with something contrary, I'm going to assume that it really is just the graphics card. Next paycheck I'll have to order one, is all.

8. Michealjcaboose Trainee Engineer

Does the card work without issue with other games? Download the nvidia GeForce experience program and check to make sure your settings are all default and good looking. Download a program called "speed fan" and test your card with it, use it to check all your temps. I also recommend a stress test of your gpu. With your card a recommend a program called furmark. Alllll of that being said I still don't believe it to be an issue with your graphics card, but I suppose it is possible. Honestly I would look into a copy of a 64 bit windows 7

9. Deaths_Messengr Trainee Engineer

Well, I'm not going to bother getting 64bit until I bother to get a PC that can hold the hardware to make it worth it. In any case, I did some digging that I should have done to begin with. The minimum requirements list an NVIDIA card that, while the series number is gibberish to me, has a substantially greater amount of dedicated VRAM. I wholeheartedly suspect this to be the reason now. Even if it's not, it's clear that I wouldn't be able to get much out of the game until I can upgrade my card regardless. I'll do the upgrade (since it's overdue anyway), and revisit the issue at that time.

10. engineer Trainee Engineer

I have the same problem as Deaths_Messenger described.

I thing the game is running normally, but a can't see anythink. If I do several clicks to random places at screen HDD LED starts blinking and the game uses much more RAM than after startup. But approximately 15 seconds after that, the game crashes.

My log file is here:
    http://galileo.fme.vutbr.cz/test/SpaceEngineers.log

I believe in quick solving this problem.

11. Deaths_Messengr Trainee Engineer

I had a mild stroke of creativity and used the tutorial video as a reference for blindly creating a new world using the audio to know when I was hovering over a button. I finally managed to produce an actual error message, which was rooted in DirectX. After some further digging and troubleshooting in regards to directx, it appears the gpu is the only possible culprit.

As for your problem, I'm not sure what's going on there. I read the parts of the log where it mentions the errors, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it. I'd be careful about asking for a "quick resolution" to your problem, though. Paying customer or not, this an Alpha, and it's pretty faux paux to expect them to drop everything for a handful that have something wrong on their end, as opposed to something wrong with the game itself.

12. engineer Trainee Engineer

I'm not asking for quick solution. I <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">wishful</a> <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank">thinking about it ....
    </a>

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.