Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

RTX 2080 TI hitching, stuttering and low frame rate

Discussion in 'General' started by GT500, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. GT500 Trainee Engineer

Hi Folks,

I have a new RTX 2080 TI and Space engineers is not running well at all. It is laggy and stuttering.

I was wondering if anyone else is noticing problems with the new NVIDIA Cards and Space Engineers?

There is only one driver released, so not much I can do there, I am wondering if this is just a case of a new card and drivers need work or if I have a defective card somehow. If anyone else using a RTX 2080 or 2080 TI can speak to their game performance it would be appreciated.

2. Thrak Junior Engineer

What are the specs on the rest of your computer? CPU? RAM?

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

o.o I suspect a $1200 just-released video card is unlikely to be fitted into a potato PC.

4. odizzido Junior Engineer

Haha indeed. It's almost certainly just early adopter issues.

5. GT500 Trainee Engineer

That is my gut feeling as other games seem to be running O.K.. If it was a defective card I would likely see problems across the board on a lot of games. I am sure it will be resolved with some driver updates as more people start using them.

If anyone out there is using a new RTX 2080 series, please post how it performing in Space Engineers for you compared to the previous generation.
    --- Automerge ---
    Well, It looks like my render CPU is Maxed... I wonder if something with the new RTX cards is causing the Render Thread to work harder then the previous generation. Here is a screenshot showing the Space Engineers Statistics and I Moved a copy of my Video Card and CPU usage next to it.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

This seems like a dumb comment, but how about trying it with lower graphics settings (e.g., lower resolution, etc.).

7. GT500 Trainee Engineer

Well, It looks like my render CPU is Maxed... I wonder if something with the new RTX cards is causing the Render Thread to work harder then the previous generation. Here is a screenshot showing the Space Engineers Statistics and I Moved a copy of my Video Card and CPU usage next to it.

Thoughts?
    Fair question.

My old 980 TI was running at the same 1440p resolution. BUT, I did not upgrade to a RTX 2080 TI so that I can then play games at a lower resolution than before :)

For the sake of conversations the following 3 images will be at a 1080p, then 1080p at the absolute lowest graphic settings then the last image will be at 640x480 resolution at lowest settings. You can see that all still have a maxed out game render (not graphics card). I do not recall that happening with my old card, but I could reinstall it again to check.

Below, 1080p
    [​IMG]

Below is 1080p absolute lowest settings:
    [​IMG]

Below is 640x480 with the lowest graphic settings:
    [​IMG]

Even thou at first glance the 640x480 is showing running at 88 FPS, the GPU itself is not even breaking a sweat. The game is still hitching / lagging at this setting.

In fairness it is not an empty scene, SO does the game max out its internal Render CPU Load regardless of the graphic setting?

8. Zoladen Apprentice Engineer

I feel like you have probably already checked this but, what is your CPU? If it has integrated graphics, is space engineers actually rendering off that since the switch and not going through the 2080?

9. GT500 Trainee Engineer

That is a Good question, I was going on the assumption that the integrated graphics would and disable like is it supposed to when a Discrete GPU is added to the system. But to make sure, I did just go into the bios and force the iGPU to disabled.

After retesting the game with the iGPU disabled in the BIOS, it had no impact and the Render CPU Load was still maxed out.

I thank you all for your feedback, I am just going to chalk this up to something a Driver update or game patch may improve on.. Thanks again :)

10. Thrak Junior Engineer

Granted. But SE is much more CPU reliant than GPU reliant, in terms of client-side performance (although the amount of RAM available for the GPU is more of a factor). Hence my very reasonable question.

11. GT500 Trainee Engineer

The GPU in the Screen shot posted after you first post shows 7.5 gigs of the 11 gigs of video ram was used ( so 3.5 gigs of Video Ram is free). As for system memory, I have 16 Gigs and still had about 10 Gigs free. On that screen shot you can also see all the CPU usage across all 8 cores running at 4.6 GHz each. One of the 8 shown is running at 74% .

I do feel as well that the game is held back by CPU (even thou there is more breathing room). It seems to be 'hitching' more and I wanted to check in case it may just be a card/game compatibility issue :)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  12. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

It's classic cpu bottleneck problem. New rtx gpus are too fast for current best cpus. You can fix this issue by RAISING your gpu usage so turning up resolution or downclocking your gpu or better option is to cap your fps to slight lower than your max fps value so your cpu would have some room with calculations. Try using msi afyerburner + riva tuner and set fps cap in SE 10 fps bellow your max fps in the game and problem will be fixed.

EDIT: Oh i just saw your screenshot and your fps level is already low(i though about lowering 100 fps to 90). So your cpu is probably bottlenecking because of bad gpu driver or maybe keen's problem.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  13. Cetric Junior Engineer

That must really suck, to have the fastest video card of the world, top model, and it does not perform as it should...
    This RTX 2080 is supposed to be 'visionary' as with this series Nvidia is shifting their attention and expectation for where the game industry is evolving to towards raytracing. Hence the name RTX instead of GTX. Wonder if standard gaming needs are getting neglected a bit over the 'big future focus'?

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Look at the CPU and render CPU loads. They are either above 100% or really close. It does look like a CPU bottleneck. Depending on your CPU, it may be time to upgrade that as well... or get into some overclocking.

15. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I would like to know what the cpu is as well.

16. Roxette Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

A Central Procession Unit (CPU) is the part of a computer that sequences and executes instructions, but that's not important right now.

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. KissSh0t Master Engineer

18. GT500 Trainee Engineer

The CPU is a water cooled 6700k running at 4.6 GHZ.

19. KissSh0t Master Engineer

It's got to be a driver issue then, wait for Nvidia to release a more mature driver.

20. Thales M. Senior Engineer

To compare your card's peformance with other owners of 2080 Ti, test your PC here: http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Software

21. Thrak Junior Engineer

Maybe, even likely, but he's also seriously overclocking that CPU chip. So I suspect it's a little of column A, a little of column B.

22. GT500 Trainee Engineer

OC is rock solid, I ran Prime95 for 48 hours straight with no issues. I am actually able to run this chip at 4.7 but I backed it down a notch to make sure there are zero issues with it. NOTE: I have not had any issues to date with any of the other games I played as they are all running great.

Even at CPU base clocks the issue persists.

Some positive news, is the newer drivers seem to be better with SE. Maybe it is something that will work out with updates or new Nvidia drivers.

In this screenshot I have 3 times the performance almost 100FPS, Max settings at 1440p

[​IMG]

23. Inflex Developer Staff

Hello there,
    "Render CPU usage" is usually significantly related to the number of objects on screen as the CPU has to command all rendered objects to the GPU so it can do all the rendering work.
    As we are aware that that our implementation of the render pipeline wasn't as efficient as you could be (you can see that GPU utilization is still quite low even after driver update), we worked extra hard in past months to improve it, make it more efficient and deliver better FPS to all SE players out there.

As a matter of fact, these improvements, along with other stuff, are part of today's Major update. As of now, we all leveraging more of the available GPU power to help out CPU do it's work as efficiently and fast as possible so you should see significant FPS improvement across the board and be able to utilize your beefy HW much better, especially in heavily populated scenes.

Go ahead and test your performance now on patch 1.188 and see how it runs for you after the update.
    Have a nice day and let me know how it worked for you ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.