Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Scavenger World Server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Search "Scavengers Of Dantus" in the server list to find it. The IP address may change periodically.

Note: This is NOT a server for people new to the game. If you're bored and unchallenged and want the FEELING of being marooned on a planet... this is your server.

Features:
    Massive 240k diameter desert planet (Dantus from Steam Workshop)
    Reduced ion thruster power in planetary atmosphere.
    Slowed down speed of refinaries and arc furnaces.
    Player's cannot construct refineries, arc furnaces, or reactors (removed from G Menu).
    Projectors disabled (for now, may change).
    Parachute MOD (currently broken in multiplayer... author is fixing)
    Custom Cargo ships (crashing into world).
    MODs:
    Customized Dantus Planet
    Parachutes
    Small Merge Blocks
    Reduced small turret bounding box
    Large airtight hangar doors.

You're not an engineer. You're a pilot. You have some skills but not full monty a "real" engineer has. But you can outfly any of those bookworms with your eyes closed.

You were aboard a large cargo ship as a hired gun. Your ship was ambushed by a strong pirate faction before you could even get to your fighter. The ship was torn in half; you could even reach an escape pod. Your only chance was a climbing into a Rhino Resupply vehicle and drifting among the wreckage. But things didn't go as planned. You were spun away from the wreckage at high speed, tumbling and twisting.

You blacked out and came too near the gravity well of a large desert planet. Looks like this is going to be home for a while... if you can stick the landing in a Rhino.

You're not here by chance. It seems that this planet's position makes it ideal for collecting damaged and disabled craft from the sector. It's a good thing. This place is barren and your supplies aboard the Rhino are limited. If you can find a few downed ships, there should be parts enough to keep you going...maybe even get off this rock.

Your suit can keep you alive for long enough but there are serious doubts about any H2O on the planet for hydrogen thrusters. Building reactors and refineries is above your pay grade. But if you can find a few of them in some wreckage, you might be able to increase your chances.

This planet is relatively big versus the others in the sectors. Finding crashed ships from the ground is going to take a bit a skill. If the beacon doesn't survive, you'll have to use that pilot's mind of yours to find them. There are reports of occasional meteor showers on the planet and possibly even hostile life (note: sabiroids are turned off for now until I can spawn them reasonably).

There may be other survivors from the ship. But the entire crew was made up of mercenaries, so doesn't expect any warm welcomes and big hugs. It just might be every man for himself and you're sitting on a nice shiny reactor. Luckily the Rhino came well armed and with plenty of ammo. There's even enough on board to build a cryo chamber, a battery, some venting and even a couple of solar panels... you have to love these ENG'ies.

It's going to be tough. This won't be a cakewalk. It's going to take a lot of thought, decision making, and SKILL to survive. But you can handle it. You may not be an SE, but you're no quitter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

What is the surprise?

...and how terrifying would it be to have Carl Sagan falling from the sky and smashing your base to bits?

4. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Lol. I was surprised at it not being MBs, Planet damage takes a lot of space.
    Also wrecks fall through the planet I think. Havent seen one yet on the server.
    Oh and parachutes work, kinda iffy and clang after deployment but work at times.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, the world is new... the daisies are in bloom... and it's up to a megabyte now. However, people won't be doing a lot of mining. A few meteor strikes and some more smooshed ships and it'll get up there.

6. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Wait, is the server only active during the night for me? I went to bed last night around 9-10pm, In that case I guess its time to do some night raids!

7. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

I logged on this morning and found 3 pirate vessels that fell out of orbit and crashes to the surface with various levels of integrity, most were broken up and scattered but large chunks remained with some salvageable components. So can confirm they are there.

8. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

One question, any gentleman rules on this server like no raiding while offline. Or is it generally free for all at all times?

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It's a 240km wide planet, twice the size that you can normally place (there's a hack to do that). That's 180,955km of area to search. The chance of finding someone and them being online at the same time is completely remote. So I haven't established any rules. It's true PVP, definitely.

But everyone starts out with a small block turret that's well supplied with ammo.

10. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Actually challenging from my two days on the server, Still haven't managed to put roots down anywhere, Nomadic movement is a good choice if You're a wreck-raider. Also the spawn ship doesn't have any girders what so ever, I tried to ask you but I think you were AFK. Also girders are needed for solar panel construction.

11. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

You said in the other thread you were looking for large grid ships with defenses?

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You'll have to make your own girders for small ship solar panels. The Rhino comes with one small reactor on board... finding uranium in wrecks is pretty easy and plentiful so you really aren't going to need them. That one little reactor can do A LOT for you if you know how to leverage it to your advantage.

13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yes sir. Not too, too many on the outside. Also not enormously large since it will be crashing into a planet. On the inside there should be interior turrets... just enough to make it challenging when salvaging. That's basically what I'm looking. But I'll take anything reasonable. The more the merrier.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Server Update 3-22-16

Things are off to a good start.

Some notes:

• It seems that parachutes are functioning again. I will be reverting back to the original rhino without the hydrogen attachments. There may be an issue with the spacing of the parachutes. I will tweak the respawn vehicle.
    • I just discovered that there is a function in the game for spawning random cargo in cargo ships. It's hidden away in some xml somewhere. I stumbled on it and will be learning it so cargo can be randomized.
    • I'll be rebalancing cargo overall in the cargo ships. Seems there's too much of certain stuff... not enough of others. See above.
    • I have turned off spiders and meteors. Their spawn rates were slowed way down versus vanilla games. However asteroids have a bug of spawning inside the planet at night and then destroying blocks attached to the planet surface when they collide with the planet's skin. Spiders are meant to only come out at night and rarely. I couldn't make this happen to where it's occasional and not aggravating.
    • I'm still looking for more large block ships from players.
    WANTED

If there's some one out there with some mod or planetary experience willing to offer some tips that would be great.

I'm also looking for a few people who like mocking up crash sites as well as some small bases or abandoned outposts. You don't have to drive around much while waiting for a cargo ship to fall from the sky. I'd like players to explore the planet more and find hidden sites in a variety of locations.

I'd like to turn include the projector block in the game, but I don't want certain blocks to be availabe in projections (reactors, projectors, refineries, arc furnaces). I found the "blueprint class entry" XML but changing it didn't do anything. I was in creative. Note to self: test in survival.

Thanks everyone who's taken the time to try the server and stick with it. Feedback is always encouraged.

15. Sleeeper Trainee Engineer

Built an assembler, it eats items or they are invisible, can't do anything with it.

16. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Thanks for turning off the meteors..I just can't find a good defense against them. I have 2 gatlin guns trying to shoot them down but don't think they remotely come close to hitting them. My small but growing base was losing vital structures everyday and now have quite a few craters pockmarking the local area.

On a side note do the voxels reset on this server? I was thinking of constructing an underground area but my understanding is it can not be done if they do reset. Thanks.

17. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

I'm pretty good at making a crash site look like a crash site, I'm also good at making vehicles and other stuff look old and abandoned or rusty and scavenged!
    This is one of my main vehicles I've been trying to get back to, It fits in with dantus perfectly!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Should this be of sufficient size? It's not too much bigger than Red 1. I believe it has 4 interior turrets (two in the hangar, one I cargo, and one in the lounge).
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=650342903
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

I ran in to a similar problem with my cargo containers. I'd put stuff in and it'd disappear. I logged in and out and everything I placed there was back where it was suppose to be

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Me too. It's a game bug. The entire cargo system is a bit wonky.

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Cool. I can't populate the server with Daleks though. :) I checked out your workshop. Perhaps you want to do a version of Weasel's ship smashed into two pieces and barely scavenged?

22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm not going to reset the voxels right away. I might manually do it to get rid of empty craters and such. Though I have to figure out how each new little file generated relates to the planet as far as location.

23. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Lol, My ships aren't very varied. Yeah I could do that, Looks like an interesting asymmetrical design.

24. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

BTW this update caused my car I made out of the front of that warlock cargo ship to disappear for no reason :(
    Edit: I decided to be dumb and not jump into a cryopod to relog to see if it would show up :(

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Weird... very weird... I cleaned up some garbage last night but looked at everything before I removed it. Maybe you have company and someone swiped it GTA-style?

26. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Connector said it was connected and I could see its inventory and mess with some of its settings with the terminal menu, Plus my rocket turret never lost any ammo.

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'll look for it in Space Master tonight. If it's parked outside someone else's camp then it's theirs.

28. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

ty

29. Daleks2377 Trainee Engineer

Server crash?
    edit: Aww server crash

30. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

No good deed goes unpunished. The server will be down until around 5:30PM Pacific Standard time. Daddy needs to work to pay the bills.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.