Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Scavenger World Server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

I really like the design. Seems like u found the perfect design for the next Prime-Base :). And like Ronin said. Some minor changes, and it would be ready to go.

2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

SkyNet 2077

"'SkyNet-77' is the nickname local Space Engineers gave a nameless planet in the uncharted sector; named after a fictional AI from some mostly forgotten, pre-holographic move from the late 20th century. There's something more ominous about the name than its purely scientific taxonomy. First it was a rumor then reality; a planet dominated by artificial intelligence. News of the planet spread from one engineer to another, up through the ranks, to the corporations and finally to the admiralty.

Many probes were dispatched to the planet and all failed to return or transmit; except one. The footage still remains classified, but like all classified materials and government, intelligence leaks were made.

The Athulians have always been a problem for corporation engineers; not for their strength but their tenacity. The Athulians favor drones to fighting or laboring in person and will attack ANYTHING in range.

They were once just a nuisance for unarmed or poorly armed vessels, until they were lucky enough to capture an advanced research station experimenting in stasis technology. Ships could be indefinitely held in another dimension and then called at near will to this one. Once deployed among the Athulians or "Space Pirates." They have become an apparent danger. Every major corporation WANTS that technology and has been unsuccessful at replicated it, even from captured Athulian vessels. From leaked reports, there is emerging evidence that one of the corporations has been working with the Athulians for a few months. Though they possess jump-stasis technology, they do not possess the resources or companion technologies to bring it to its full potential. We suspect that the corporation in question has been supplying the Athulians with mining and certain "defensive" equipment, as well as overseeing development of "SkyNet 77." Analysts suspect the Athulians are probably trading out jump-status technology for corporate backing. Attempts at legislating sanctions against the corporation have failed in committee. Buying politicians has its rewards.

Which brings us back to the leaked footage: monstrous towers, each with drones of all types taking off and landing from them. Civilian analysis of the footage believes the Athulians to be gathering resources and likely concentrating those resources in a central location. As to why, the footage doesn't explain. A crash-landed probe with one working camera static-camera and an intermittently distorted 20 minute transmission that abruptly ends in a white flash is all we have.

A direct attack on SkyNet-77 has been ruled out at this time. Jump-status means that anything could be lurking inter-dimensionally around the planet. A small strike force may find itself suddenly overwhelmed and the loss of capital ships to Athulians is a humiliation the government or admiralty will not bare. Sending in an armada would take weeks of logistics and certainly the Athulians would be well aware of our intentions with enough time to prepare for the attack. Again, their capabilities of responding are unknown at this time...

This is where my long-winded speech comes to you and why you were called here today. We need a handful of Engineer operatives to land on the planet and serve as recon as well as disrupt as much of the Athulians efforts as possible. The probe that survived for 20 minutes on the surface was small and had a thruster malfunction, leaving the probe to float into the gravity-well of Seven-Seven and crash on to the planet's surface. We will use the same technique: our plan is to float you for a few days on a trajectory to intersect with the planet with just the basics of life-support. Once drawn into the atmosphere, we'll deploy parachutes on your ATV. Though it's no assurance of a safe landing. Gather resources from the Athulians and disrupt their activities. We suspect almost the entire planet is automated and they'll probably account the attacks for competing pirate factions raiding their own.

You won't be the only operative on the planet. However, we cannot guarantee that other entities or corporations aren't planning the same strategy.

We want that technology for ourselves. It would be good for the bottom-line and you're being paid nicely. I see your non-disclosure paperwork is in order. Good. You'd have a terminal problem if it wasn't. Well, helmet on and good luck. Oh. By the way. This conversation never happened. We have no idea of who you are."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  3. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

Wow, i just read the entire thing and all the effort put into it this looks amazing
    Edit: what is the server name

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  4. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

I played quiet a bit on his last server, Scavengers of Dantus, and have to say I've never had so much fun. This iteration is set to blow that one out of the water. Expect a hardcore experience with no handholding. If it's anything like it's predecessor you can expect to die repeatedly while trying to get a toehold on the surface

5. SayHi2Jesus4Me Trainee Engineer

I haven't done any target testing. That's a good point, though. I was hoping that pairing it with the assailant AI would get it pointed in the right direction, but with the atmo thrusters it's probably not going to pitch up or down. I've seen some scripts for using gyro overrides to point things, but that probably won't work effectively in gravity since it would turn itself over. It would need a lot of extra work to keep it in the air I think.

6. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

Yes it does. Been having that exact problem, my drone doesn't really stay level reliably and can drop to the ground. It rolls to keep its bottom pointed roughly towards the planet while aiming, but it needs tweaking. It needs to respect a maximum pitch of, say, 30 degrees. And just fly up or down if 30 degrees is not sufficient.

Probably the safest solution is to autopilot to a GPS location at the same altitude as the target whenever the drone is in firing range. That'll keep the drone level and the guns pointed at the enemy as long as the yaw is correct. I do think adjusting gyro overrides to point the nose to the enemy will provide much better combat performance, since the autopilot is pretty slow.

7. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

I look forward to hiding from murder drones in a hole with you all
    EDIT: i think it would be a good idea if there was a large SPRT warship that would go to especially troubling areas to exterminate the problem maybe it would be triggered by a destroyed prime tower or it's satellites

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Tentatively, the server will be named "Skynet: Seven-Seven"

9. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

Just a question, whats to stop me doing a siege on a prime tower or it's satellites by destroying all the incoming shipments or blocking gps coordinate

10. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Regular attack drone patrols that will be interspersed in the general drone stream, and the fact that the tower will have defensive drones that spawn so they will always have enough ammo to fight.

11. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

but what if they run out of uranium

12. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Fair point, though I'd expect it to take several days, on account of the bases not really doing much in the way of power consumption and likely having large stockpiles of fuel inside.

13. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

well there are probably other ways to do it like rigging a shipment with warheads or using the gfd target painter to send a missle

14. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Frankly if you can do that to a moving drone and get it to take out the base then you probably deserve to take it.

15. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

well a quirk of the game is that thrusters have no computers and therefore no ownership so you can add and remove them without them being targeted so if you shoot out the thrusters you can take all the time you want

16. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

You have a valid point there, taking out all of the thrusters in one direction means the autopilot actually stops functioning then all you need to do is figure out how to most effectively deploy the warheads.

17. Silenthunter Trainee Engineer

Has there is final decision regarding refineries, reactor and projector availability this time around? I know there was some talk but never heard the outcome.

Also has it been determined if voxel resets will or will not be happening? Only ask as its my understanding that building underground is not a good idea if voxels are reset and need to know if I can proceed planning out an underground base or if I need to remain on the surface.

Thanks

18. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

remove all systems that are not essential to getting to the outpost and then ingrain a sensor to activate the warhead countdown when it gets in range of a station and add decoys to buy time
    EDIT: really you have to think about it as guerrilla warfare instead of conventional warfare

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  19. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

Wait i should stop talking i might be giving Ronin ideas

20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well, you certainly can use guided missiles to target the towers. They're not built to be impregnable. But this will be a managed server. If I see bases getting whacked over and over, what do you think the response will be? "Game over?" The AI may be doing the work, but there's still a human being behind all of the planning.

The reaction would probably be to build a new base in that area to match the level of threat of players in that area. You'll see more opposition and stepped up patrolling. You've proven to have great offensive capabilities. But what are your defenses like? Please note that we will be refreshing the planet every so often to keep load times down, that means the planet voxels will revert to their virgin state. If you build an underground bunker, it's going to get filled in with planet every week or so. I'm not the vindictive type. But if you go around destroying everything at a whim, I'm going to make life very hard for you on the server in response. :)

But being able to build up enough resources to do this will take you quite a while. You're not going to just drop in and own the planet like a boss.

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Update

There are some issues with update 1.132 that are making life difficult due to their impact on the autopilot system. I'm sure Keen will resolve them soon. But it's making drone logic a bit difficult; particularly docking. At the moment you can't trigger Autopilot: OFF using a waypoint. That means no reliable docking. I'm feeling that it won't be this weekend for the actual release of the server.

What I am thinking about doing is putting up a private server group for play testing and just noodling about for those who were with me on the Scavengers Of Dantus server. I can get away with running a creative instance for development and a test version of the game on the same box. But it would be just for testing. Though, at the end of testing, I might let you keep your base and some vehicles as a reward for testing. I'm kicking about ideas.

22. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

i don't really expect to Win what i imagine is that i will be murdered by cyberdogs because my lander exploded

23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So there seems to be a few bugs with this weeks code, even after the hotfix. Sadly, they did not fix the issue with deactivating autopilot with waypoint actions. Instead I worked on some drones... rather large drones but only around 300 blocks. They also have a couple of neat tricks up their sleeves. I put some time into an ore carrier as well. Also, B0 installed his latest base this week. It's a cliffside base. I think it's his best yet, personally.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

That base looks amazing. Even more so in-game. Great work B0mm as always ;)

Also, I have a feeling you better run from those big drones. Or at least weld a whole bunch of heavy armour onto your ship. Cause that's a lotta rockets coming your way :eek:

25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If you think they'll only be a problem within rocket range.... :)

I have to add some more timer blocks to them. I was almost done and then noticed they had no downward thrusters. DOAH!

There are a couple of places where there is a little flare I can get rid of and put in some more timers. I left a programmable block open for you, @Flarefire Even though they only move level to the surface, I'd like those three rocket launchers to fire if they're likely to hit. The main remote sits well below them, but can you key off of the position of the central launcher?

26. newtonsolo313 Apprentice Engineer

wow im gonna die SO MUCH
    i couldn't even deal with easy start alien

27. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

Just stay away from the bases and only shoot down cargo ships, then u wont have to deal with them... maybe

28. Flarefire Trainee Engineer

I think @SayHi2Jesus4Me posted a script that does exactly that, except it still uses the RC block's position. Should be pretty easy to modify.

With a bit of luck I'll have time and energy for some more programming tomorrow evening. If so I'll work on some better drone aiming procedures, and figure out a way to more easily transplant the behaviour onto existing drones.

29. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

30. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

If u want u can do an complete sector. now u have the mining stations. You could build now the normal Outpost and a Prime. So i dont have to build those bases too.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.