Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Scavenger World Server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Mar 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

@Mr Ixolate Great design. I guess that are outposts für the Prime ?

By the way.. the design Looks like it is build by the Alien faction. And mine are build by the company. (=> Ronins background Story)

2. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

No problem

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I can see that. The alien faction IS the Space Pirate Faction with the company supplementing and aiding them.

So I have the respawn ship thing figured out. In order to keep players spawning near where the actions is and not on the far side of the planet, I had to respawn them in free space about 80km above the surface in three different locations. I gave them coordinates to the three drop areas where parachuting in won't hang them up in a tree or on the side of a cliff. We're using an update of the Honey Badger vehicle. I replaced the Gatling Turret with a Missile Turret. That should help a bit with knocking down cargo drones.

As the world expands, I can add more landing zones for players to choose from. I may get a little help from a bit of a celebrity around here for the Drone miners. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the person has the time. I'm going to roll out the original regional area then plan a few things.... some scavenger sites not controlled by the Space Pirates, maybe some abandoned facilities, crash sites, etc. There will even be a couple of surprises. Those who explore will gain an advantage.

I think I will take a nap then work on the hunter drones a bit. They can spawn in some help when attacking.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Alright. Here is where we stand at the end of the weekend.

The AutoPilot is still bugged. If it gets to the end of a one way trip, there's a super high probability that the ship will start spinning in a circle like a Dead-Head on acid listening to the late Jerry Garcia. I'm pushing forward by compensating by turning off the gyroscopes on the final approach. It's a little risky but having a 600,000kg ship chasing its tail while trying to dock to a connector is just a no go.

In order to keep server lag down, drones will decommission themselves after a certain amount of time. Drones that hunt players will reset that time if they make contact with a player. Once decommissioned they will fly to scrap yard and sit on some grinders. I'll replace the grinders with Rexxars shipyard mod since it's lets cpu intensive than grinders. But the mod hasn't come out yet.

I'm still working on the vector math since drones might have to travel some distance to reach the grinders and have to calculate a path to them by flying at the top of their range and circumnavigating a portion of the planet. Luckily I know exactly where the center of the planet is, so this isn't too bad. I can construct a list of waypoints that's above most mountain tops based on the center of the planet, the drones starting position, and the final position of the scrapyard entrance.

Once I have the algorithm down for decommission, I can finish up the Space Pirate Antenna logic, populate drone lists, get drones into the right groups for the right bases, and we should have something we can play.

It's taken a lot longer than I anticipated. But it's been a very enlightening journey.

The bottom-line is that even though things seem quiet, they are moving forward rapidly towards the end goal.

5. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Just finished, but may still need some changes

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=685350568

Seeing as the latest update allows remotes to decend all the way to the ground I thought the pads could be situated there as they didn't really fit into the tower.

I'll be setting up a custom shuttle drone that will travel directly up (hopefully)

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Yeah. The planet center is (0,0,0), so if you know the location of the connector block you're attaching to, you can just calculate a line with the planet center as the origin that passes through the connector.

I've been doing this to plan out waypoint pathing after I realized that drones of vastly different masses tend to collide with each other when sent on the same path. So I needed to offset pathing along the same path.
    --- Automerge ---
    I'm pretty excited about this decommission routine. I call it "The Fan."
    [​IMG]

The center of the fan is the planet center. The starting and ending points lie somewhere along the far left and right sides of the fan (the solid bits that house the fan).

The drone will move up the far right side to the very edge of the fan.
    Then it will travel along the tips of each fan blade until it reaches the far left fan blade.
    It will then descend the far left fan blade until it reaches the end point somewhere along that particular blade.

This will allow the drone to circumnavigate the planet near its maximum altitude (in respect to the planet's center) to avoid crashing into the planet and just about every mountain on the planet. The number of fan blades will be calculated by the over distance between far right and left of the entire fan.

Basically, moving along the radii and the perimeter of a fraction of a polygon.

Pretty much I can start anywhere on the planet, rise straight up, circumnavigate the planet and then stop at any GPS location on or above the planet. This will also work for ships in space wanting to land on a point on the planet without crashing if that GPS location is obscured by the planet itself.

I've relegated this to the Aux Remote Control's autopilot system which is hardset to fly "one-way". So it is possible through scripting to let Aux find its way to the end point while querying it to see if the autopilot is active. When the ship reaches its last destination, it can start-up the Main Remote control and the drone can also perform its regular patrol route if desired... or load a new set of waypoints or change its behavior.

Thinking of future possibilities. It could be possible for a ship in space to come to a stop. Send out a drone to a static base on the planet with its coordinates, then post the coordinates and related coordinates to a text panel in that base and then have other drones copy that information, program it, and leave the planet and dock to that ship, all without smacking into the planet.

7. B0mm3l6 Trainee Engineer

Ronin. are there still some bugs after the latest update ? Did they fix some issues or is everything still the same ?

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Might as well give a status update.

I unified the AI for all the drones into one script. Now I just need to set a couple bools and select which ship the script is in. So updating code will be much easier.
    The "faintail" portion of the script is integrated. Now drones will decommission themselves and hit the grinders rather than bog down the server. Though drones aren't that heavy on the CPU.

I will also use this method when the drone is trying to reach a player some distance away. It will fly up to a safe altitude, over the head of the player, then descend and start tracking the player again. Else the ship will smack into a mountain or the ground.

Bug: large ship autopilot can get to a waypoint on the planet and avoid smacking into it. Small ships just charge into the ground or cliffsides.
    I'm going to alter the scripting to park drones 25-50meters above and 25-50 meters away from the player, as it will currently try to smoosh the player and the ship takes damage (when the player is walking on the ground).
    There's also a bug with the turrets not being able to see the player when he's walking on the ground. Sometimes it can, sometimes it can't.

So this amounts to hours and days of writing and testing code... on top of my work schedule and life in general. But progress is definitely being made.

Once I have all of this resolved, I can start actively working on the live server.

Right now, I want to get a live version out there to play. The start adding more content.
    --- Automerge ---
    So I figured out how to get the drones to stop stomping into me while I'm on the ground. They will also back away from you if you try to approach them to keep a safe distance from you when using their weapons. I need to tweak this a tiny bit more, but I'm 90% able to compensate for Keen's problems with small remote control blocks and drones too stupid to maintain a safe distance and not slam into the ground (with you as their waypoint).

I have four Deathknells following me around the map like vultures right now... lol.

9. 11noah22 Trainee Engineer

is the server down i cant find it

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

So I figured out how to get the drones to stop stomping into me while I'm on the ground. They will also back away from you if you try to approach them to keep a safe distance from you when using their weapons. I need to tweak this a tiny bit more, but I'm 90% able to compensate for Keen's problems with small remote control blocks and drones too stupid to maintain a safe distance and not slam into the ground (with you as their waypoint).

I have four Deathk

It's still under development.

Great news though, I have nearly finished with the drone AI. It beats the pants off of the vanilla Keen AI on planets. I drone around the world and these things would not give up until they were complete out of range (not divulging because it would be a spoiler). I then switched to a really agile and fast atmospheric ship. I dodged in and out of canyons and around hills. They didn't give up and kept with me. I also tried losing them high up in the atmosphere. They weren't having it. I went out for a smoke at parked my ship high up. I was having fun just trying to get away. They surprised me and I'm the novice who programmed them.

The only thing is that if you stop high in the atmosphere, they currently have a hard time not crashing into you because the thrusters perform badly. But I doubt you'd stand still while getting slammed with rockets and cannon fire.

Some drones perform better in the air while others perform better closer to the ground.

11. 11noah22 Trainee Engineer

anyone know when the server will be up

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It might be a while. I'm working on it in my spare time with a lot of C# scripting. The biggest set-backs are the bugs and new bugs introduced by Keen. This week's bug is waypoint actions not being stored. Which is kind of fundamental to the workings of the game.

13. ozarkamax Junior Engineer

I wanted to say this is an excellent server concept and I wish you the best on your drone code.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. LeeroyJenkemms Trainee Engineer

I would like to play or beta test this.

15. PeTeTe809 Apprentice Engineer

Interesting project you have going on Ronin, I will keep an eye out for this.

16. spiffy926 Trainee Engineer

I will be looking out for this one, sounds like a really cool concept. I wish I got to play during the time it was up in the beginning.

17. Speshal_Snowman Apprentice Engineer

18. 11noah22 Trainee Engineer

what time is the server up?

19. Lithorn Trainee Engineer

I miss this server. I liked the ideas it had.
    --- Automerge ---
    I miss this server. I liked the ideas it had.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.