Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Zerberus Trainee Engineer

Yep, it shall look like that (because i like it and because i dont have enough space for anything else :rolleyes:).

Actually, the engine room is build after a ww2 Submarine :D with those 2 big engines left and right, where the cylinders are exposed:

[​IMG]

2. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

Alright. Finished my destroyer. Paint hasn't had a chance to dry yet.

Bonus points to whoever can tell me where the ship is from.

[​IMG]

3. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Oh damn what is it called again, LSF frigate? from sword of the stars? or the other one haha ive got the game either way i just cant remember which one it is!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

That's the one!

5. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Then well done you as you managed to pull something from my memory....not something easily done as my wife will tell you!

6. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

I thought it was the ship the pres. was on in the Battlestar: Galctica remake.

7. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

A small recon vehicle. Fairly heavy at 25 tonnes. 2-man crew: driver and gunner. Uses oxygen bottles for oxygen. Should have very good off-road capabilities. Balls on the wheel are the current replacement of natural gravity, not part of the vehicle. No real fancy features. I'll make a screenshot with a brighter background later.

8. Demo Apprentice Engineer

Finished a heavily armed Frigate/Mini Cruiser/Carrier thingie last night.

9. erdrik Apprentice Engineer

Is that a small or large ship grid?

I built some SotS ships of my own as well.
    I can't remember if I posted them here, but search is coming up blank so Ill post the workshops in case your interested:
    Armor

Extended Range

Assault Shuttle Carrier

Refinery

Command Dreadnought

Just the above ships together in one world

I built these quite a while ago, so they don't feature many of the recent blocks.(Most still have grating for windows!)
    But I tried to keep scale, mass, thruster, and turret placement as accurate as possible to SotS.

10. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

Reworked the recon vehicle.
    Introducing Silverbreak RV-2. While weighing almost the same as Silverbreak RV-1, the vehicle is much lower (by 0.5m, or 2 small blocks). However, the reduction in size came at a price. Medium Cargo was replaced with a set of Small Cargo containers. Unfortunately, connector also had to go, resupplying the vehicle has to be done manually. However, I was able to increase external cargo capacity (out of cargo containers). Cargo areas above rear wheels are now twice as wide.

Might work on a 4-seat civilian version. Or maybe even a truck of some sort.

Sadly, can't really make a vehicle which is less than 9 (or 8 at best) blocks wide. At least w/o the wheels sticking out. This makes them almost square in base.

EDIT: replaced screenshots with DX11 versions.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

Your Dreadnought looks awesome.

Mine is a large ship.

Scale was a bit of guesswork, I didn't bother much with mass.
    The maneuvering thrusters are where I thought they fit right, the main thrusters are where they should be, in the dark blue part. I did put 1 pair of large thursters in the middle hull section, because the small stalk can easily be destroyed, which would leave the ship mostly dead in the water. Turret placement I mostly copied from the game.

12. plaYer2k Master Engineer

This is some small proof of concept i wanted to do for a long time now.

A CenterOfMass-Shift-Drive

It utilizes a rotation around a center of mass while that center of mass actually shifts over time.
    The below animation shows where the center of mass is located (yellow dot) while the top-down view is static above the center, aligned towards the reference point (right side).
    [​IMG]

The simpliest and most elegant version however actually is using just two shifting center of mass instead of four like in the video.

The advantage of such a propulsion is that they generally dont generate an actual momentum because the center of mass doesnt move, but instead the rest of the grid simply rotates around it.
    The wobbling can be negated with two opposing mechanisms, thus being useful even for large ship.

Further advantages are that the power usage over thrusters and gravity drives is insanely low. They share the advantage of not having to be exposed with gravity drives.

Lets see if people find applications for it :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Yet again i shall bastardize this thread to ask a question because i have no idea. What's the typical hight of small ships in Survival? I've got a three large block high Hangar Door that i just now realized will need two rows of Airtight Hangar Door blocks either way so i'm debating whether or not i'll extent the hangar hight to four large ship blocks or reduce it back to the original two blocks. But i don't want the Hangar to become too small for Survival builds.

14. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Don't think there is a "typical" size. Most early/compact survival craft with fit through the default hangar door height though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

That already helps me a lot, thank you.

16. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

For what it's worth, my survival miner, welder and cargohauler small ships all fit easily in 2 block high hangars.

• Like Like x 1
  17. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

If you keep the overall height in mind when designing your small ships, you'll be fine. Mine keep a small profile that way, but the blocks have to go somewhere. So they are longer.

18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I bet you could do this with a crate at both ends of a piston..

19. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Absolutely, but that would be limited to movement along a line (1 dimensional movement) over the current implementation with rotors that allow movement along a plane (2 dimensional).
    I have to admit though that i didnt think of using a piston for that. Thanks :)

20. estile606 Trainee Engineer

yup, SE totally has conservation of momentum...
    that aside, that is rather interesting. It looks quite slow and somewhat expensive to fabricate, but I can see it being an interesting option if a player needs to move and simply cant find a good supply of platinum

21. plaYer2k Master Engineer

How is it expensive to make? It uses either a rotor and some gyros or like @AutoMcD pointed out a piston. It furthermore utilizes the cargo most ships like miners or massive mother ships got anyway.
    Compared to gravity drives and thruster based propulsion, that actually is really cheap.

There is also another interesting concept where you got two different main grids that contain large cargos. They are connected through a linkage to make them move parallel that doesnt hinder their forward movement too much.
    One that is empty accelerates forward very fast while the loaded one works as anchor. Then if either the travel distance is exhausted or velocity is reached, the load gets redistributed from the loaded to the empty one so that the high mass grid is actually moving the fastest. Now you repeat the previous if you need to accelerate even further.
    That way you can generate insanely high accelerations with very high masses in specialized double-setups.

Overall that reminds an awful lot of good old M√ľnchhausen pulling himself out of the swamps on his own hair :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. aaagamer Trainee Engineer

These are a couple of ships and a station I made, I was going for the kind of look that's popular in sci-fi nowadays. So sort of inspired by modern technology with plenty of leeway. A little bit of 2001: A space odyssey inspiration can be seen too.

• Like Like x 2
  23. fritozy101 Apprentice Engineer

We are all getting way hyped about planets..... :woot: lets make it worse.

[​IMG]

I am way pumped about the impact planets are going to have on the survival gameplay. So I had to make my own starter truck, just to be prepared for whenever the update does happen...

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531641631

*Gyros (Stabilization on jumps/air time)
    *Mass Blocks (Increased stabilization/moon travel)
    *Ore Detector
    *Forward, and Rear facing cameras
    *8 Wheeled truck (Tough to flip, no buckled turning)
    *2 Medium cargo containers (Auto stack script)
    *Trash system (using conveyor sorters with ejectors)
    *Top mounted gatling turret
    *Belly thrusters
    *Rear connector
    *Rear landing gear (for transport)
    *Headlights
    *Oxygenated cockpit

Shift+1 Shift+2 menu buttons setup for easy use.

Tell me what you think guys?

24. Skeloton Master Engineer

Making a crap ship with a pretentious name, I give you the Pillar of Winter

Granted shes lacking paint and minor details but thats something I'm working on now.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Five small blocks equals the height of one large block. So the only limitations is the space a small ship will occupy within a large ship. Air tight hangar doors have a space of two large blocks. So the maximum functional height is four large blocks worth of small ship assuming you have an upper and lower ATHD for the ship to pass through. So you could theoretically make your ship 20 small blocks tall... but you'll probably want to lower that number somewhere between 15-18 to make sure you don't clip the hangar doors in a vanilla setting.

If the ship isn't designed to fit in a hangar, then you really don't have any limitations.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

Minor rework to the RV-2: reduced the amount of power generators from 8 to 1. This provides more than sufficient power: even while firing the gun and using wheels at 100% power, the total power consumption is less than 10%. The change increased the protection of the "engine", by allowing me to surround it with armor blocks, rather than have it exposed from the sides. This also reduced the weight to 23.5t.
    Also created a civilian 4-seat version. Weighs around 22.7t. No oxygen (this is assuming that planets will have natural oxygen, will be reworked otherwise), doors only cover 2/3 of the height. So the occupants are more vulnerable. Pretty sizable cargo space for uranium and some outside storage space in the back.
    Also it has a HUGE sunroof.

Ground Vehicle Stability Settings:
    If your wheeled vehicles are having stability issues while under artificial gravity, here's some tips:
    1. Use space balls on the wheels. This provides better "gravitational profile" for the vehicle than even multiple gravity blocks spread out across the vehicle, since this gravity will be applied at points that require to be always connected to the ground.
    2. If you're not planning to have any air time in your vehicle (or climb steep slopes) - set the mass of space balls to max. Otherwise, play with their mass in order to get a good balance.
    3. Play with suspension settings. Increase strength and damping, decrease suspension travel. However, don't overdo it, you don't want the suspension to be too rigid.
    4. Don't set suspension power to max, since it will negate everything you've done in steps 1-3.
    Last pic of the gallery has the suspension settings that seem to make these vehicles more or less stable. However, if you try doing sharp turns at max speed, it will start flipping, and, due to spaceball mechanics, bouncing.

I'll change that a little bit. Width X Height of a "hangarable" small ship can be either Any X <20 or <20 X Any.
    So if your ship is less than 20 wide, it can be as tall as you want it to be, if you build horizontal doors.

27. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

LOL
    That's the name of the game

• Like Like x 1
  28. Skeloton Master Engineer

Well I'm actually enjoying how this has ended up. From start to where I am now. More or less...mostly less

• Like Like x 1
  29. chrisb Senior Engineer

Mostly vanilla other than Enterprise bridge consoles and engineering desk/table. Plus since these pics I've put landing gear on and they're Mag locks. The rest is vanilla. ;)

Twin bridge, one forward, one rear raised.
    [​IMG]

Ship size:

Length: 167m
    Width: 104m
    Height: 42m

Twin decks most of the ship, single the rest. This is a research vessel that I have altered from a previous build. Its been much altered here, but the front remains fairly intact to the original ship. I still have the original but prefer this one to be honest.

Performance: in one of the pics above.

Thanks. :)

Edit: added 13/10/2015

Slightly different version, triple headed ;). Captain and ship chief science officer quarters are now next to the rear raised bridge.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Mirones Trainee Engineer