Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

I wanted to go mining and wanted to make a mobile derrick.

This is on a small vehicle base with a small-large interface with a large mining assembly.

And I have gone complete away from rotors and pistons in all my other ships after a mobile dry dock almost broke in half due to a piston.

[​IMG]
    Starting Drill
    [​IMG]
    Raising the derrick in the pre dawn.
    [​IMG]
    control room
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=638204862

Survival Version. only able to move cargo when at 90 degrees.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639901042

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

It's a pylon with a gatling gun on top. This is just one small step on the path to making a planet almost entirely controlled by the pirate faction. Also, it has a warhead on a dead man's switch (a script resets the warhead's countdown) so it will self-destruct if you damage critical components.

Does everyone agree that black & dark red is a good color scheme for pirates? Should I go with pastel pink instead? Lime green? Fuchsia?

• Like Like x 6
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The black and red are just fine. As long as the colors are consistent in your creations to signify who the turret belongs to is more than adequate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

A nice chamomile beige would offset that terrible solar panel blue...

Not.

Red and black looks badass ;)

5. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Hey, I hope you don't mind me reverse engineering this, as the large ship rocket pod on a small ship would be a perfect kind of weapon for the A5F Hadrian replica I'm going to build:
    Also how did you connect the advanced rotors parts together? I'm trying to figure out how to do it on this one:
    [​IMG]

6. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

I found this little paradise last night. Easy Start Earth GPS:Lake:40050.87:14026.15:43626.39:
    Now I'm a little obsessed with building a cable car system (vanilla, but totally inspired by DraygoKorvan's Maglev Rails).
    After that, this will be the starting location for Hard Start Earth.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

Nice tower, the black and dark red looks pretty fantastic as does the blend with the 60 degree blocks followed by a good transition to rounded blocks at the base. Put a repair welder at the top to help the turret and that thing will be heroic.

8. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Take the blueprint, rip it apart, reassemble it and do whatever you like to do with it.
    The best technique to use these large-to-small and small-to-large advanced rotors is by simply using a premade blueprint.

I have manually edited my blueprints before to connect them together. It works well once you got it so far.
    These are my blueprints for these advanced rotors.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454684619
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=495068105

Have fun and show off what you got :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

Is there a way to do that in Survival. I found the mining derrick's advanced rotor connection is not seeming to be possible in basic survival mode.

Made a survival version that is not as good but, with major pain making and merging the large/small rotor, is possible.

[​IMG]
    A survival buildable version of the mobile derrick.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639901042

P.S. you have to be able to make the large rotor-small rotor head and merge it to make this.
    P.P.S. It is a PAIN to make.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

11. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

Small pirate base ("ore processing blah blah blah") is almost complete. I carried over the loot from the default small pirate base; I didn't realize the pirate bases came with so much platinum. Fun fact: it is mathematically impossible to make 3 equidistant pillars on the same grid.

This is my first creation using prefab sections. Those landing pads are prefabs that I pasted onto the structure.

• Like Like x 2
  12. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Well yeah. Connecting advanced rotor parts back together requires a world load if they are in close proximity. So you had to align them properly, save and reload the world. However that is hardly possible if you play in survival multiplayer on a dedicated server. However if you play SP Survival that is possible. Alternatively imo such limitations of survival are a pretty feasible excuse for me to use game master or other creative elements.

If you however want to stay within the most limiting constraints of SE with that survival element, the best solution i can come up with is this:
    Small Grid Connector > Large grid Connector > Large Grid Advanced Rotor
    Small Grid Rotor > Large Grid Rotorhead > Larger Grid connector
    Note: I had to get the small grid connector in place with a merge block because otherwise large and small grid connector were too close together for normal placement. One block further away and the connectors can not connect anymore.
    I hope that helps.

heh of course. That is the whole point behind releasing blueprints, isnt it? :)
    Yeah i kinda liked the large grid small reactor as well there. It fits nicely.

Though if you want to be more efficient then the small grid large reactor would be better.
    Small grid large reactor: 3901 kg mass / 14.75 MW power / 3x3x3 small blocks = 3.375 m³ / 3.8 kW/kg / 4370.4 kW/m³
    Large grid small reactor: 4793 kg mass / 15 MW power / 1x1x1 large blocks = 15.625 m³ / 3.1 kW/kg / 960 kW/m³
    So the small grid version would be much more efficient there! Its power output per mass [kW/kg] is roughly 20% better and its power output per volume is whopping ~355% better.

13. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

It moves. And is survival mode buildable.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

I ended up doing 8 hours worth of work rebuilding with only standard large rotor-small rotor head.
    The drill can only move ore if at 90 degrees.. where as with an advance rotor it could do 0-100 degree.

thank you for the info. but yeah that would take up too much space.

15. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

One thing I noticed though is that in survival mode, the large rocket pod cannot access the inventory of the medium cargo container for some reason. Is there a way to fix that?

16. Gripton Trainee Engineer

Hi Guys, i just built a new ship for the ''Arrowhead'' line, this time a light scout ship. It excels in speed and handling, it is also capable to defend itself in a good ol' dog fight (it is equipped with 2 gattlings and one Battlecannon).

Hope you like it : D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jens Lyn IV Trainee Engineer

I'm making an underground base inside a mountain, 2 km below the surface. The access tunnel will be 8 km long and, with the current crash-on-drilling bug, this is a mildly frustrating project.

The pilot tunnel was made with a voxel hand, but to get the required cross section for large-grid vehicles, I have to widen it manually. At 2 km/h. Restarting the game every few hundred metres...

[​IMG]
    Beacons, clockwise from bottom left: main cavern site at deep end of pilot tunnel; lowest point on surface above deep end; tunnel entrance.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Why, when I was a youngin, we used HAND DRILLS to make our underground evil bases! You whippersnappers of today and your giant sized auto-drilling rigs... pshaw.

19. glitchaj Trainee Engineer

I remember when none of the drills in the game worked yet. If you wanted to make a cave in an asteroid, you had to repeatedly crash a ship into it. And remember we didn't have copy and paste back then either.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

um I made a derrick but not a strip miner.. guess I should think about that next.. and if I should use the industrial platform base or just make a small 4-6 wheeled miner?

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The placement of the gatlings means you're probably going to shoot off the front of your ship while maneuvering or on a server. I'm not trying to be harsh or critical. But that's a design consideration.

22. Jens Lyn IV Trainee Engineer

Tunnel portal WIP. Even with a rail-mounted drill, the tunnel floor is a little rougher than I'd like, so I'll have to pave it. The main gate weighs 4000 tonnes and sits on 24 pistons...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  23. TuntematonSika Trainee Engineer

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Clang, I will fear no explosions, for quicksaves are with me"
    Psalm 5/7 Engineers holy book

• Funny Funny x 8
  24. Jens Lyn IV Trainee Engineer

Yeah, I tried crawling through the gate with my heaviest vehicle (1500 t, 8 5x5 wheels). The wheels exploded immediately on contact, taking out a whole layer of heavy armour blocks with them.

In Kerbal Space Program, this gate would be Kraken bait of the highest order. Is there an equivalent Space Engineers term?

• Like Like x 1
  25. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Make the bottom flat, have the moving part come in from top or sides

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. TuntematonSika Trainee Engineer

Summoner of Clang

27. 666Savior Apprentice Engineer

AMI Orbital Dropship Mk.2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

My A5F hadrian Replica is finished and up on the workshop!
    [​IMG]

29. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Something small and dirty.

A rain maker using merely 6 mergeblock-mergeblock-warhead setups for bomb deployment and a PB for proper timing.
    [​IMG]

Script is available at
    Each "merge bomb" consists of two merge blocks that face each other as well as one warhead payload at the opposing side of the downwards facing merge block. The PB should also run in a self-trigger-now-loop.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  30. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Though you can get very close (99%) with a side length 15 or 30 equilateral triangle.