Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Thee_Silent Trainee Engineer

2. Weyun Trainee Engineer

XS-001 “Test Unit 2” (Vanilla Space Mech) - HCV Project
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1385772152

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

===Project Mission Statement===
    The Humanoid Combat Vehicle (HCV) project is intended to design one pilot space faring combat vehicles specializing in close area combat with capital ships. The concept is a vehicle that can approach the capital ship before a sufficient AA (anti-air) defense barrier can be established and then stick close to its hull while disabling the capital ship’s turrets.
    =Basic Design features of XS-001 “Test Unit 2”=
    *Left and right arms with 4 Gatling guns as weapons
    ---- 2 Operating modes: Manual Targeting & AI Targeting
    *Rotating Head with a Mono camera eye
    ---- Effectiveness undetermined
    *Rotating Waist
    ---- Effectiveness undetermined
    *Left and right legs with multipurpose functions: Upright & Fold modes
    ** Upright mode: can be used to land on surfaces with gravity using artificial masses
    ** Fold mode: folded to the front to provide additional braking thrust or to clamp on the object or ships’ hull with its landing gear clamps
    *Wing Pack
    **Retractable Wing Armor Shields
    ** Forward Thrust “Breakers”
    ---- Provides 15 seconds of stopping forward thrust
    *Raycast Scanner
    ---- Located on the waist and has to be turned active (Not automatically turned on)

3. Weyun Trainee Engineer

4. Snugglez Trainee Engineer

5. Sinbad Senior Engineer

6. Wellstat Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

8. Weyun Trainee Engineer

9. BlackScythe Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]
    This ist the Lützow, Heavily armed with a 3x300mm Cannon, a 2x300mm cannon, 8 40mm Anti Fighter Cannons, 18 20mm CIWS and 30 Interior Turrets for Point Defense. On top of that oustanding armament it has 8 Silos for Guided Long range missiles. The Interior features an Airlock, 3 independently pressurized Rooms, an Engineering area and Cryo Pods for a crew up to 6 people.
    If you know the Hive Ship from the Corruption PvE mod, the Lützow will shred it!

(Modular Thruster and Epstein Drive has been Retro-fitted for more agility)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  11. Mighty1987 Trainee Engineer

12. Fisk Hextail Trainee Engineer

13. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Blowing the dust off the old ships and getting ready for some great MP in our server, very excited :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Menes Freighter

Challenge: build a large ship that's under 4,000 blocks, absolutely vanilla, no rotors, no pistons, capable of projecting and welding its own support ships, air tight, role-play friendly, large hangar, and capable of landing and taking off from any planet.

DONE.

This is the Menes Freighter. I named it such because it looks like a giant Egyptian sarcophagus... so I went with the theme. The total number of blocks are 3,709. I've yet to set up the programmable blocks or do any of the coding behind it. I wanted a ship that was very tall and with a ton of thrusters pushing it so that it could quickly turn around, slow down, and get the hell out of dodge at the first sign of trouble. It's to serve as a small mother ship for a faction of players. I've built a smaller prototype on a live server as player (mining, refining, and welding). There are pictures of the prototype as well. It's basically the same on the outside, but just a few blocks deeper. The interior is air tight and the whole ship can be traversed helmet-less with both hangar bays open.

The main hangar bay can house many small block ships. Additional landing gear could be added if you're looking to use it as a small carrier vessel. The upper hangar sports two "universal" welder jigs. Basically, I've designed a series of utility ships and player made weapons that can be automatically welded from projections and serve the ship as needed. Ships include a utility welder/grinder, miner, a cargo ship that can be attached to the previously mentioned ships to expand cargo capacity/stone ejection, as well as a ship I call the "Lawn Dart" that can carry over two full large cargo containers of supplies down to a planet surface using parachutes and survive the landing with no or very little damage. I've tested that with a full load of iron ingots. It works like a charm. Future jig-based ships will include defense gun platforms, and various player made weaponry (currently nerfed by OP missile turrets).

Also included are a couple of drill bits hidden in the middle of the main ion cluster for refueling hydrogen supplies from asteroids when in free space. I also plan to add some menu driven LCDs to the crew stations so that basic operations can simply be scrolled down to using three toolbar keys rather than a bunch of confusing toolbar icons. Most of the unpressurized areas of the ship can be accessed by internal airlocks in case there's need of repairs. The ship can land on planets by tilting it 90 degrees and using a secondary flight seat so that the main thruster array is oriented downward. It's a light armor build that uses plenty of glass to cut down on the number of blocks needed for its size. Stats are in the pictures.

It can land on the Earthlike planet with a total mass of 8 million kg, and the Alien with 7 million kg. The empty mass is approximately 4.5 million kg. If you're over-burdened the "Lawn Dart" option is a great way to get that excess cargo down to a planet! :)

Also, I'm looking for a script writing "unicorn" to collaborate on this. I'm capable of scripting my vision by myself. But it just takes me ages as a novice to get it all done.

I'll post this is the workshop if there is some interest or likes. Pictures hidden below:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mollegrolle Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  16. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Dragon Battle Cruiser

The Dragon Battle Cruiser is an all-purpose ship fully capable of both defensive and offensive operations. The total block count is 14,401 with a PCU count of 83,083. Armament includes 3 forward rocket launchers, 4 rearward rocket launchers, 7 missile turrets, 12 Gatling turrets, and numerous defensive interior turrets placed at strategic locations throughout. The Gatling and missile turrets utilize integrated welders for self-repair. The ship's layout includes the bridge, armory, medical bay, power bay, upper and lower hangar decks, and engine bay. Each hangar deck has 4 large, airtight hangars (8 total) for housing a variety of spacecraft, and 4 self-contained, fully-automated escape pods are located in the engine bay. The ion and hydrogen engines will bring this ship to full speed in less than 30 seconds.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1461994717

[​IMG]

17. Harlequin Otterdog Trainee Engineer

So I'd been watching Splitsie's "Survival Maybe..." series and got inspired to build my own Goose type vehicle. With a lower profile and borrowing from the real world Steinwinter Supercargo 2040 'cab-under' design. Kinda evolved into a more standard rover design with trailer hitch on top.

Which which then evolved into a cargo and passenger version, with Rover Cockpit mod and modless variants. Thought about doing a passenger/cargo variant that removes the two rear seats and replaces them with medium cargo containers. Currently referring to them as the Gator(modded) and Iguana. What I like about them, is that they do not need the trailer at all and can be run as a normal rover.

And a crappy video because I don't normally make videos of any sort.

18. casparmartin01 Trainee Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  19. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Soon™

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  20. Cpt. Kirk Trainee Engineer

21. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

O.I.S Jump Station.

Space for 2 people. 32 MW of solar power, 45MW of power from reactors. 6 MWh of battery storage. 2 computers, 300,000 of O2 storage, which is about 661hrs of air for 2 people. 2 drone hanger bay with a construction and grinder drone.
    Empty Industrial module.
    4 connections on center hub are empty.

Mass: 1,845,202.25 kg ( 1,845 metric tons)
    Size: 290m long, 187.5m m wide, 187.5m high
    PCU: 35,688 (with 3 ship/drones)

[​IMG]

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1482229927

22. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

From question of solar only power craft in earth-like atmosphere.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1487356260
    29-40 solar panels is all it needs but since it has a large atmosphere thruster due to the best N/W ratio, gave it enough to run the large atmosphere thruster full out.

Mass 205,389.72 kg
    Lifting 500,000 kg at 2,000m earth-like planet.

Warning.. do not remove the shared tensor. center grid is too small to the solar panels.

[​IMG]

23. Weyun Trainee Engineer

Space Engineers Trailers - Space Mech "King David" with Missiles

24. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

So, I guess I found the limit...

I've been working on a 3/4 scale cylon basestar for some time, working on 1/4 of the hull and basic motivation (engines and gyros). Every now and again I mirror the 1/4 section with SE Toolbox and then copy the 1/2 section and rotate it to get a feel for the proportions and make sure that SE doesn't puke.

I have about 1/3 of the quarter section skinned.

This evening, I got the "approaching limit... problem with physics" warning, and I'm now phasing through placed blocks.

Is the phasing problem an issue caused by the toolbox mirroring? Is this a known issue (this is how SE falls down with huge grids)? Are there any tricks or settings that can help?

...or have I just hit a dead-end, and I'll have to start over at a smaller scale?

25. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

26. Malware Master Engineer

This is a hard limit that can't be overcome as it has its base in Havok, the 3rd party physics engine. It's beyond Keen's control.

27. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

Bummer.

So, what is "physical shapes" anyway? Forum search wasn't terribly enlightening. I'd hate to drop to half scale and get 3/4 finished, only to run into the same limit.

28. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Oldest versions of the game: mysteriously CRASH the game when ships get too big

Then: KSH discovers that Havok can't support above a certain number of geometric shapes (squares, cubes, spheres, etc.) used to make collision surfaces, so they stop ALL construction above the limit. Forum revolt starts, there was a good thread but I can't link it because it was in the now-deleted bug report forum. Devs chip in and good discussion was had.

After/Now: you can build over the limit, but you get a warning and then the physics is turned off on that grid so the game doesn't crash. EDIT: physics/collision being turned off is seen as phasing.

How big is this thing anyways? Quick internet search suggests the arms are 1 km long. You might need to drop to quarter scale? Check the number of physical shapes in the info tab as you build things.

29. Malware Master Engineer

Physics shaped are the actual shapes used to detect collisions. They make up simplified geometry around your build. They have some techniques to lower the amount for large planes, but if you have much angles and diagonals they'll get used up quickly anyway.

30. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer