Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Show off your creations!

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by David184, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Spets Master Engineer

so then, cable physics is very possible in this game, why we don't have them yet? :s

2. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

You overtake me! ;P

Mine conception has also in middle bunch of small connectors :)

3. extraammo Senior Engineer

You must have missed the bit where it's extremely processing intensive.

4. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Yeah sadly it is very intensive and i guess you can see that in the video already by not just how slow it suddenly runs but also by that "ghost fade" effect where the placed structure leaves blocks behind that arent actually there anymore which fade away over time.

In any case, feel free to load the workshop entry and watch your PC burn :3

For shorter links like 5 large blocks that will work very well for most people. As workaround the fixed linkages can be stretched a bit so that there are less segments over a certain length. The "wires" quality will however reduce.

5. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

New today creation:
    Corvette class - PZK Mayflower
    [​IMG]
    Download here

6. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Trying to build a Sentinel from Matrix now.
    [​IMG]

A Conveyored "Wire" is quite easy and it seems to work well too.
    [​IMG]

I am using gravity generators to create some wobble and so far it works well.

7. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

Thats what I'm talking about ;)

8. mattryan72 Apprentice Engineer

@ Peterhammerman, the Mayflower is very nice! I think Thunderchild fits better ;)

9. Knsgf Junior Engineer

Actually, it is possible to construct a ring rotor with a tunnel in game without relying on this bug, you just need to build crazy amount of wheels to do so:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. extraammo Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

11. mastpayne Senior Engineer

I've been pitzing around on this subject with an old-school 1950's style rotating station. I've got a decent working model for vertical pass-through from a stationary section to a rotating section here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=233312510

It is surprisingly strong as it can move without breaking the rotors if yer careful....and it is ROTOR ONLY. (I've just added some weight to it, so not too sure on how good the motive power is in this iteration.)

The station has been getting some love recently (hadn't touched this in months, but have been on it in the last week) so there is a lot that is still undergoing re-modeling, but the hub is where it is at. It takes a lot of room, but it is one good solution.

The horizontal pass-through...well...haven't worked on this in a while, but there has to be a good solution out there, too.

12. SkitFire Trainee Engineer

Here's a proof of concept for for a magazine fed mass driver. Inspired by the revolvers shown earlier. Videos and refinement to follow.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I created an abandoned asteroid base like the one from LSG survival since I liked thiers so much I made my own!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=282692710
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. FURNACE Trainee Engineer

Something I made from scratch for a little fun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Duuude. Nice.

16. Brenner Junior Engineer

Now thats a version of a ring rotor I like - that construction looks like it would work in real life too. Awesome engineering!

17. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

In between all those mechanisms and original designs i feel a bit dirty posting a replica of an existing design, but i actually think it turned out quite well. I present an updated form of my (as of yet still unfinished) Galaxy Class Starship, Emergency Wartime Supply-Edition (or short "Galaxy-E"). In these screenshots she's drifting next to a minor project i'm working on with my buddy, a Constitution Refit. Both are (roughly) to scale; originally intended to be 1:1 i had to shorten the Galaxy a bit (have to measure that one day; i'd say she's about five to ten blocks shorter than she should be) and we made the Constitution ever so slightly longer (and these shots really don't do the size difference justice). I'm not counting the Constitution because we both work on her; she is not my baby like the Galaxy is and she also doesn't come with a detailed interior, which is most of what eats up my construction time on the Galaxy (well that and input lag and low FPS. The Galaxy Master File has like 3 FPS and crashes every other hour; the poor file where i copied her in for these screenshots couldn't take the complete might of these ships and it took me five attempts to even take these few screenshots before the engine crashed).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I'd post some interior shots but i don't want to spam the thread and i don't feel like she's ready enough for her own thread.)

18. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Yay Progress!
    [​IMG]
    All my ships that have a combat function (both corvettes serve more as a support/transport role)

Order left to right:

Patrol Craft - Seras - 549,882 kg
    Corvette - Revy - 1,142,578 kg
    Corvette - Koko - 1,052,101 kg
    Frigate - Rin - 2,645,909 kg
    Fighter - Saber - 12,691 kg
    Battle Cruiser - Motoko - 19,460,968 kg

Now I move along to working on my other projects. One recently completed was my solar refinery ship:
    [​IMG]

I want to increase the size of my shipyard 2x the dimensions of the old:

[​IMG]
    It is gonna be huge:
    [​IMG]

19. FURNACE Trainee Engineer

Thanks Dwarf-lord still got a lot of work to do. Making her fully functional within the game.

Will have working conveyer system
    Has weapons, thrusters etc
    Also working on balancing the gravity drive (good fun with nacelles lol )
    And a full deck out including bridge engineering and medical plus windows.

20. Stiletto Apprentice Engineer

Hello guys.

I've decided to put here my old and first large ship built in survival when the mode actually came out for SE.

We needed a small sized, fast and cheap cargo runner to move around ore and parts, and thus this one was born.

It has been crashed, rebuilt, refitted and upgraded over the time in the world me and my mates play in.

Since we have much larger and much more capable ships built right now, this one serves as my personal transport/cargo ship.

Images bellow:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. GalaxyMeridian Apprentice Engineer

First early version of new pipes for stations/ships:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

An engineering support vessel
    - Arm to hold repairing big ship in place
    - Simple 1 refinery + 2 assemblers, 4 large cargo containers
    - hangar bay with 2 ships/drones - welder & grinder
    - 2 resupply stations for drones
    - Auto-locking mechanism for hangar door bay & arm
    - basic self-defend armament
    - pretty agile for big ship

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Dude, those are fantastic. I love the detail and accuracy of them. You've even got little details like the two secondary shuttle bays right down to their different sizes; heck, I can see the aft torpedo launchers.

BTW, what's that unfinished saucer in the background? I want to say it looks like it's from a Miranda.

24. damoran Junior Engineer

Back on this game after taking a break for a little while.

Trying to catch up with all the changes they have made so I took a stab at an all purpose cargo/personnel shuttle. I plan on using this with a larger build I've been working on but also used it as a learning exercise with all the new blocks features.

I gotta say the addition of both merge blocks and the copy/paste rotation feature are just fantastic. Big shout out to Keen for that.

Anyways, I call it the CS-1 Fleetmaster. The goal was to see how much cargo and passenger seats I could cram into a small to moderate hull with it still looking good.

It has a Star Tours feel to it yes, but it keeps the same industrial style that I like. I may make a few tweaks here and there, I feel like I might replace some of the decoration blocks with working thrusters to give it just a little more maneuverability as it is pretty sluggish for a shuttle craft. Curious to know what others think and ways it could be improved.

Oh and it was the first time I tried a ramp small/large rotor merge...so yeah we'll see how that pans out too.

As always, feedback welcome...hope you enjoy.

Workshop Link

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

A small buggy using the new wheels. I noticed that at least 1 gyro is needed to prevent the cars from flipping over during turns. Also at higher wheel power (higher speed) it becomes almost uncontrollable. The cockpit is off center to make the car as narrow as possible.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. mattryan72 Apprentice Engineer

Very nice, big fan of the industrial feel.

Matt

27. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

The Galaxy Class still needs tons of work - Hangar Bays Two and Three need a complete overhaul plus doors, Hangar Bay One is in the middle of one (still needs extensive high speed testing to see if it works; it's going to use the Small Rotor-to-Large Rotor-bug), Escape Pods need to be installed on the dorsal side (pectoral not so much; due to lack of space every Escape Pod in the lower saucer half is fake) and pretty much the entire Battle Section is in a rather early state lacking it's interior (the saucer is pretty much done aside from the Escape Pods) and some Phaser Banks.

Utilizing the Constitution Refit i decided to build a series of quick ships that use identical (or very similar) parts. First in the line is indeed the Miranda Class:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

which needs a bit of work on proper nacelle placement and the rollbar, but otherwise the only needed thing is a proper Engine Room. The third one will be a Constellation but she's in a rather early state (basically just an unmodified Constitution Saucer with four Constitution Nacelles attached - more a reminder than an early state, actually) and I have to do a little research on her saucer-size before starting the build; i might be better off starting from scrap.

28. GalaxyMeridian Apprentice Engineer

A simple example of how one can use the new wheels with suspension to build bases inside asteroids:

[​IMG] :

29. Vicomt Trainee Engineer

I was thinking of doing something similar to this myself. Are you using a grav field or just the vehicles own propulsion/gyro to keep it stable?

30. GalaxyMeridian Apprentice Engineer

Yes, I have set up a gravitational field generator in the area and on the rover I use two blocks of artificial mass to have it handle like an earthbound vehicle.
    Racing cars would need more artificial mass to press closer to the ground but for a driller vehicle I have found this to be a working balance.

If the vehicle gets a little bit stuck when I back out, I usually wriggle the mouse left and right to help the wheels get traction, especially if you are backing out in a slope. For more difficult situations and steeper slopes and bumps I can enable the thrusters, turn off artificial mass and use the vehicle as a spaceship. The rocks gathered by the drills are collected by the conveyor system and stored in a central small cargo container.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After my first prototype, I had to set up the drills one block higher to get a straight 'road' from adjacent blocks.
    Otherwise, my vehicle would drill in a slightly downwards slope. Using a motor to rotate the drills could be helpful though if you seek to drill slopes.

Drilling turns to the left/right are also possible, just take some care when you back out and make sure you build the vehicle out of the armed blocks.

(All pictures in this post show the new prototype with higher set drills for proper horizontal drilling)

[​IMG]