Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

SLI in Space Engineers

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tzarro, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Tzarro Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I have searched the forum several times looking for anything related to this, but I was unable to find anything. I also apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section.

My question is: has anyone had any luck getting SLI to work in this game? I have a GTX 295 (kind of old, I know), and only one of the GPUs is really showing any usage while I am playing. I assume that the game just currently does not have SLI support, but I was wondering also if anyone has had any luck getting SLI working another way? I have tried using alternate frame rendering in the nvidia control panel, but the input delay becomes unbearable. I have had success in other games changing nvidia inspector properties, but I'm not sure where to start with this game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping I can get some extra FPS if I can manage getting my other GPU working in the game.

2. Amy Apprentice Engineer

Only runs one 1 GPU core.
    Not tweeked for crossfire/SLI yet.
    Wasting your time I think.

3. HotshotGT Trainee Engineer

That's exceedingly helpful...

Any update on whether this is going to happen any time soon, or who needs to take action (Nvidia/Keen)? Seems like this would take priority over multiplayer considering maps are only going to get more intense once multiple people start building in them.

4. DocTanner Junior Engineer

The game also runs on a maximum of two CPU cores and has a RAM usage cap.
    Remember, this is an alpha. How 'bout you let them actually finish the game before worrying about support for non-standard hardware, yeah?

5. HotshotGT Trainee Engineer

I'm all for letting them finish the game, and the CPU and RAM usage I can understand to a point; there're optimizations to be made. But I just don't understand why basic hardware support and performance isn't being addressed while things that will inevitably cause more strain on the engine are. SLI/Crossfire has become increasingly more common, and I would hardly call it "non-standard". I don't place any blame on Keen, but I would hope they have at least contacted Nvidia/AMD about driver support.

6. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Mine shows 4 CPU cores in use on this video.
    Go to 3:35 on the video.
    It would very unlikely they would not support NVidea cards, as well as ATI.
    And they have 1000 reasons to code for SLI/crossfire, and almost none against, my guess is it will come with time.

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/watching-cpu-ram-gpu-video-ram-and-fps-ingame-on-video-6722369

7. BoxxyBrown Apprentice Engineer

Any updates on this? I'd assume that we'll have to wait until SLI is officially supported?

Forcing AFR2 gets really good scaling, but lower FPS.

8. Disposadwarf Apprentice Engineer

So no crossfire compatibility? That would explain why only one of mine are over heating.
    poop.

9. BoxxyBrown Apprentice Engineer

Yeahhh. I set the graphics to "normal" just so it keeps the GPU load down. And so it can stay at a solid 60 fps more often.

Even then, though depending on what's being rendered I can still get up to 100% GPU load.

10. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Yea it hasn't been updated for crossfire as of yet, I think there more working on dedicated servers right now, which should in turn relieve the GPU from some calculations and with luck free up GPU power for graphical details again, instead of having all the physic's done on the video card.

Crossed fingers anyhoo !

My video card has 4 gigs of RAM never uses more than 1 gig. Usually around the 800megs mark when I check.
    What really matters right now is the SPEED of your GPU. For a 500mhtz GPU chip isn't going to like SE all that much, but a 1000mhtz or more GPU chip will be much more at home with SE, simply because of the sheer amount of information the GPU has to compute fast, ie, ingame physic's.

Faster would be better.
    Faster is better than more of.

11. Disposadwarf Apprentice Engineer

Would love some crossfire support, would take the load off.
    If i was to request this, were would the appropriate place?
    i know they will probably get to this eventually, i just wish for it to be bumped up the priority list a bit.

12. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Likely be done after dedicated server software to ensure less bugs with it working.
    I doubt they have the staff to do both at once , plus new blocks, optimizations, bug fixes, testing of new blocks and bug fixes, etc etc lol lol !.....

13. Disposadwarf Apprentice Engineer

im happy to pause content for a week or 3 for some optimization. but you are probs right about having to be after dedicated server software

14. Mishka Junior Engineer

Crossfire will run you have to add SpaceEngineers as a custom game profile and run fullscreen but be warned it did crash my PC a few times at random and GPUZ reported GPU usage on both cards but FPS did NOT increase so i am guessing my FPS is limited by CPU speed rather than GPU

Not sure about SLI as i do not have a PC that is able to run SLI

15. sectoid Trainee Engineer

FYI: It is possible to force alternate frame rendering on via nvidia control panel.

[EDIT] On a second thought, don't bother. I had to go on and try both, force alternate frame rendering 1 & 2 and while it succesfully shared the load bertween two GPU:s very well, framerate suffered for some reason, even though GPU usage was around 50%. Go figure.

16. entspeak Senior Engineer

I also ran into this. I tried to setup SLI using Nvidia Inspector. I just don't know what "compatibility bits" setting to use. Anyone know?

17. Soulthule Apprentice Engineer

This seems to be a dead issue and no SLI support on the horizon? Anyone have any news. Its a shame to idle a second card.

18. Striped_Monkey Junior Engineer

Honestly I have not heard anything but it might end up happening soon or not, currently they are working on squashing bugs and optimizations so this might come up. the tech help in general is pretty dead now that nolan is not around. (Nolan if you read this this forum needs you)

19. ThisOneGuy Trainee Engineer

It's been two years since this thread was made. How many more until they actually implement SLI?

20. cpy Trainee Engineer

Infinite!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.