Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

So, all we wanted to know about planets....

Discussion in 'General' started by Marneus, Jun 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Zenok Trainee Engineer

So, it is sure to add an update of planets? I'm planning to buy the game, but I wonder if this update will arrive.

2. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

We don't know when exactly planets will come out, but its guaranteed that they will come out. The devs made it seem like it will be the next few weeks. My impatient optimistic side wants to say next week, but in reality its likely in like three weeks. :p

3. Avaruusmies Trainee Engineer

Next month i bet

4. KissSh0t Master Engineer

The ones I posted are from that SE clone game Empyrion Galactic Survival...

5. Piroksen Trainee Engineer

What I am wondering is if I have to start over when planets are released. Like, can you just add them to your world or change the configuration of your world so that you suddenly have planets, or do you have to start all over? :eek:

6. Marneus Apprentice Engineer

What I plan to do is just copy paste my stuff from my survival world into the new universe and pretend it was the original one.

7. Piroksen Trainee Engineer

Ok, this may sound stupid, but how do you copy paste your stuff?

8. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Easiest way is to go into SE-Toolbox and just click and drag your stuff over. Open your original world, then open another instance of SE-Toolbox and open the new world. Click and drag.

The other way, would be save blueprints of all your stuff, open your new world in creative, paste them in, then reload it as survival.

9. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

On their Q&a or whatever that session thing was called, ImA? I forget, sorry but they said you should be able to just enable them on settings and they should spawn in previously unrendered space.

10. Braxbro Junior Engineer

Lol, using your frigate as an axe...

11. Braxbro Junior Engineer

It's sure atm, but it will take awhile im sure.

12. Lithorn Trainee Engineer

The latest info claims 30-50km planets.. What happened to the 100km+? Will we get those? I want a large planet. Sure I'll have fun on a 30-50, but if I can get larger? Even better.

13. Marneus Apprentice Engineer

Well, it's a comprimise for playability. They could, if they wanted make 300 km diameter wide or even real life size planets. The problem is that you don't have the machine needed to run the game in those conditions.

14. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Though, for those with a more beefy rig, that could be a slider bar/ world setting on how big you want planets to be at a max in the same way that it is for maximum objects in a world, again, all performance issues that could be up to a world host.

On the other had i do think limiting the size and optimizing them for it would be somewhat better in terms of how "hard coded" things can be instead of playing with a silly number of variables.

• Like Like x 1
  15. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

The other problem they mentioned with larger planets would be the time it would take to fly around the thing.
    Build a large ship and fly it 50k, that's about how long it would take to fly around one of the planets.

16. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

I thought 50k was the diameter not the circumfrence.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

personally i think its going to kinda suck, even if these are "Small" for planets, in terms of game play they are quite large. see below

50km = 50,000M

50,000 dia X 3.14 pi = 157,000 m circumference
    157,000 circ / 104.5(?) max speed = 1502.5 seconds to circumnavigate
    1502.5 / 60 to get minutes = 25 minutes.

So, 25 minutes at top speed all the while fighting against gravity means absolutely massive fuel consumption, up until now we'd just hit max speed then turn off inertia dampeners, but with a gravity vector were going to need to keep the thrusters running.

Honestly i would love to see bigger planets, but gameplay wise they would kinda suck IMO.

and that math is also assuming that you'd be basically skimming the surface of the planet. I'd personally like close to a kilometer buffer between me and the surface in the event something goes terribly wrong.

18. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

And you are right. So ya, that means it will be a whole lot longer to fly around.

C=πd (π is Pi btw 3.14)
    So that would be C=3.14*50000
    That would give us 157000

That means it would be the same as flying 157K time wise.

19. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

Beat me to the math. And bringing up gravity, you would have to fly a cretin distance above the planet to avoid it, so that even more distance to add.

20. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

If it's as difficult as that then I'lll be using a wheeled vehicle to travel around.

I could be wrong but I think you can set the size of planets, I think they might range from 30km to 50km

21. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Even on the smallest end of the spectrum at 30KM dia, its still 15 minutes of continuous flying to get all the way around the planet.

But just remember, as much as i want wheeled vehicles to be a thing, they're no where near as fast as flying, so distance depending one or the other may (not) be effective.

I mean you look at a ships max speed and its around 376 km/h wheeled vehicles will be no where near that, even if it was a perfectly flat surface

22. Tony Hughes Junior Engineer

One interesting aside, that I haven't spotted anyone mention, is that if you have meteors on, they're coded to originate from the direction of the sun and target player built structures.

So if the sun moves, then so will the angle of attack. You won't be able to hide in the shadows any longer. :)

23. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

True. Looks like it's back to hiding inside an asteroid, or in this case the planet, for me. I haven't even looked for light rebalance mods since dx11, I wonder what it'll look like in a pitch black planet core with a few spotlights per room... Mmm, could be nice with this new light engine.
    When mining is fixed, I'll try it out on an asteroid.

24. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

Wonder if gravity slingshots will work.

25. PLPM Junior Engineer

I wonder if Planets could work as a safe zone against asteroids.

26. Knsgf Junior Engineer

Planets will be static, so slinging around them won't help you gain any extra speed. With default speed limit you won't even be able to maintain a stable orbit around them (unless the planet is a moon), let alone accelerate.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  27. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

A gravity slingshot has less to do with the planets rotation than to skim the gravity field close enough to gain speed without being pulled in. So the planet being static should have nothing to do with whether or not you can do it.

28. Knsgf Junior Engineer

Gravity slingshot works by stealing planet's linear momentum. And since planets in SE won't move, the net speed gain will always be zero. Plus, as I've said above, once you're in the planet's gravity well, you'll slowly and steadily head straight towards the ground until you crash due to the way speed limit works -- unless you have enough engines to overcome gravity force.

29. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

I waspersonally curious how far planets will spawn from one another. On one of the pictures posted in the blog, it showed a couple planets in the distance and imo those planets were a bit too close to eachother. I could understand if there was a cluster of planets of like two together, but if all planets spawn so close to eachother that you can see each one's atmospheres rather than just a bright dot in the distance, it could ruin immersion. I hope that made sense.

All in all, I wouldnt mind a limited amount of planets being in some sort of cluster, but overall I'm hoping that planets will spawn so far from eachother that they will if you're on the surface of one planet, you'll see a bright dot in the distance almost like you see planets when on earth.

30. mexmer Senior Engineer

i think, it was just for presentation. i expect, if there will be multiple planets spawned in world, they will not be closer than handfull of hours of flight (realtime) so something like 1000-2000km apart, maybe even more.
    also perspective can works magic.
    when marek announced work on planets, he noted, they will change current vision, so you can see planet from far away (because it's such big object), so might be, even on that picture, planets are like 500km apart ... just perspective.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.