Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

So did they fix the "invisible wall of ore" bug or not?

Discussion in 'General' started by BigHeadLittleBody, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. BigHeadLittleBody Trainee Engineer

So did they fix the "invisible wall of ore" bug or not?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BigHeadLittleBody Trainee Engineer

Welp..Ill answer my own question. Nope..still invisible wall of ore and the bounce back and 0.0 ms. Nice. Real nice. Every thursday is so bitter sweet.

3. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

Well, why not just build a bigger drill or use a smaller ship.

4. AccidentalDisassembly Trainee Engineer

Because it's unrelated to drill size or ship size. The bug has to do with (I am just wildly speculating, but you'll get the idea) the way in which whatever it is that determines collision with asteroid stuff is updated as opposed to the visual rendering of the asteroid getting updated. While mining, visually, material is removed and space is created in front of the drill. Collision appears unchanged though and updates maybe after a fixed time, or maybe after the game determines that you've mined everything within the initial "depth" of the drill. I'm not sure how it works, but that's what's going on. Happens with gigantic, ridiculous-radius drills (modded to ludicrous proportions to test) and normal drills.

Result: You mine some stuff out, move some distance into the asteroid, but hit a "collision wall" that updates and assumes a new shape according to what you mined - that is, if you wait a moment (like 4 or 5 seconds for me, sometimes).

It's a really fundamental problem with the game right now - very, very annoying to mine. Core mechanics like that need to be prioritized a bit more than they (apparently) are, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

It only happens with larger drill rigs so if you get one of those single large drills you won't encounter this problem.

6. AccidentalDisassembly Trainee Engineer

That is not correct. It happens even with a single drill.

7. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

Is it large or small or both?

8. AccidentalDisassembly Trainee Engineer

As far as I can tell, any and all drills of any kind/size/radius/etc. Has to do with collision with asteroid (or so it seems, anyway) and not the particular drill part.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

I'll see if theirs a possible fix.

10. Clunas Junior Engineer

Earthbreaker drill solves a lot of mining problems, but it still needs to be properly fixed

11. Visentinel Junior Engineer

I have noticed this problem is completely absent if there is no player present controlling the ship either via cockpit or remote control. For example if you deploy a mining drone it will flow through the asteroid unhindered however it vibrates and shakes allot on the client side only but is still dangerous because if you enter the remote control while the drone is inside the asteroid you almost always explode parts of the ship.

12. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

On the plus side, the way I was getting really bad memory leaks at random whilst mining seems fixed now. Learning how to mine voxels is just a matter of engineering a better miner.

13. Harrekin Master Engineer

I'm still waiting for a link where Devs confirmed it was a bug...

14. Killacyte Senior Engineer

My auto miner gets stuck, and I actually have to remote in to gun the thrusters or change it's angle to get it moving.

15. bronto1111 Trainee Engineer

I have had this very same issue for several weeks now. Making Survival unplayable. I have been keeping my eye on the forums for confirmation of this bug and that is has been fixed.

16. Dreokor Senior Engineer

I wonder if this can be fixed by simply changing the world. There are some issues that are world related and sometimes even after updates they still linger on the world.

17. AccidentalDisassembly Trainee Engineer

I've started new games after nearly every patch (and/or tested in creative), and it has not changed.

18. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

It's not just miners, seems anything that changes asteroids can be affected. I saw a video in the bug reports forum of someone flinging warheads at an asteroid. Huge craters as expected, but some exploded before hitting the asteroid's visible surface. Some even entered inside the asteroid and exploded somewhere inside. I've even had trouble with voxel hands. Not as bad as with miners, but certainly there. One time I got stuck inside the asteroid I was working on.

It feels like there are two asteroids there, one invisible.

19. Visentinel Junior Engineer

Don't want to offend anyone here but i am noticing some people say this issue makes the game unplayable ? it confuses me because even tho yes it might be a little annoying and i mean a little for me anyways its still playable and mining can still be done without that much hassle.

(3 days ago i just finished mining out a massive area inside a massive asteroid to begin building a hidden base. that went fine and only broke 1 or 2 drills once or twice - a farcry from unplayable imo)

20. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

I believe this is related to a voxel change Keen made confirmed by Phand here in post 9 (the voxel change that is ) http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/0...ed-into-the-roidwall.7287702/#post-1286739768 this started the problems. This change resulted in all of the following posts amongst others.

http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/0...ll-adjacent-voxels-at-certain-angles.7351125/
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/survival-mining-gimped-by-change-in-voxel-pyhsics.7358154/
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/a...more-stable-in-1-081.7359456/#post-1286762112
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/b...ning-by-hand-changed.7359392/#post-1286762182
    http://forums.keenswh.com/threads/mining-then-and-now.7358484/
    http://forum.keenswh.com/threads/1-080-sp-large-drill-mining-has-become-near-impossible.7358984/

I believe none of this is in anyway related to some posts about mining lag..totally different problem..so no posts about it ok. :D

I know they have done something to try and alleviate the drill bouncing/invisible wall and they have fixed the sudden ship getting sucked into or flipped over the asteroid bit, but mining still doesn't work as well as it used to especially when trying to hand drill out spaces or make flat surfaces for building. I'm curious why they made the change in the first place? For dx11? For helping mining lag? Something coming in the pipeline at all? What ever voxels were changed for it hasn't been a good change..yet? o_O

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Sibz Apprentice Engineer

I dunno if it helps but turning drills off and back on again the clears the invisible wall.

22. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

I found a pretty dirty workaround that at least lets me mine through an asteroid at a consistent 1.1 m/s. It's using a modded drill block, phantom mining laser prototype, and two timer blocks one a 1 second timer. The first kills the drills, and the second restarts them, I trigger the timer blocks at a few milliseconds interval, so that the drills are only off for a minuscule amount of time. The fact that the laser drills are actually thrusters mean any forward / backward dampening gets turned off, so then I just set my speed to ~1 ms, and go through an asteroid. Not optimal, and not as fast as before the issues, but at least mining isn't impossible anymore with this setup.

Oh, and I'm using 25 drills in a 4 - 3 - 4 - 3 - 4 - 3 - 4 pattern.

23. Signur Trainee Engineer

i'll try that

24. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

+1 Sub to this thread...

I can confirm that using both small and big drills triggers the problem.
    Reading the links @Farindark posted, seems odd they didn't reverse back, since well, this bug is more annoying than most and pretty much breaks survival, at least I'm not playing survival until I can't mine for resources. The Hand Drill have similar issues, but with random chunks being trown.

25. Gerdih Apprentice Engineer

I have this bug too, is there a bug report about this on the forum?

26. aaagamer Trainee Engineer

"The more time KSH spends on bug fixing, the less features they will add!" - Somebody trying to justify this

27. Gerdih Apprentice Engineer

is that an answer to my question?

28. aaagamer Trainee Engineer

No it wasn't directed towards anyone in particular.

29. Brigadon Trainee Engineer

is that why miners constantly spew out chunks of ore?

I thought that was a 'feature' to justify larger drills as 'the price of doing business'. Or something.

30. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

The waste rocks are a feature, this is a bug with the collision models of the asteroid not updating while mining

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.