Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

So, what is going to happen with Survival?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spets, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Spets Master Engineer

don't want to be that guy, but I am that guy now, so, here we go...
    WHY IT IS TAKING SO LOOONG!!!
    I think the teaser/news about this update, was shown to us like a year ago or even more? and then there was not a single word about the progress, and when you ask, the only response is Soon(tm) <-- this soon is not soon enough... When I read steam forums, reddit, youtube comments, all I see is a lot of people complaining for the lack of gamepaly features in survival. people wondering if that is it, is the game over and feature complete or something new is coming? people don't know, I don't know, nobody knows, I think even they don't know. It is kinda sad when you also see new players asking if there is more to this game than just building, and you have to point them to a tons of mods/scritps so the game will be more enjoyable and rich.
    In my opinion, I don't like this secrecy, radio silence, mystery and eternal waiting for something you don't even know if it is still coming. WE WANT INFORMATION!!! WE WANT TO KNOW!! I mean, most of the games out there have a Roadmap, or a blog where they put advances, progress, plans, etc

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Schrodinger's Developer will be found to have been working on something the entire time, or not working on it at all. Teasing content is equivalent to announcing cut content to them, so they avoid that to preserve their wave function.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Malware Master Engineer

It's taking so long because the survival/gameplay stuff was postponed as they decided to work on the multiplayer stuff first. They're done with that now. We do know that the next on the menu is gameplay stuff. They said that right after the multiplayer release. First a period of bugfixing for the MP patch, then gameplay. But it will take the time it will take and nagging will do nothing at best and make them rush it at worst. We know because they've done that plenty of times before.

I am not, however, expecting any kind of game changer update.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Well I hope they take the survival update as seriously as they did the multiplayer update. I rather have proper survival overhaul than just some minor balances here and there + ladders thrown in as a "surprise" :p.

5. mojomann71 Junior Engineer

@Smokki Ladders Mod, no need for them to throw them back in themselves. :)

*Small hint of sarcasm. Seriously though there are enough mods out there to play around with to tide one over until the "next big thing".

6. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Also partway into 2018 the insistent terminology "gameplay update" increased in frequency in communications, versus the common in the community "survival update" (which IIRC was based on dev comments made during a stream or something a year or two ago).

7. Malware Master Engineer

@Arcturus Keen and Marek keeps using the term "survival", at least as far as I have noticed in the streams and videos, it's a part of the community that's switched to "gameplay" because we don't believe SE will ever be a true survival game. Keen's definition of "survival" differs from mine.

8. Smokki Trainee Engineer

I meant that they are more likely just balancing the existing gameplay and throwing in ladders as a "surprise", insted of a proper survival overhaul.

9. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

“Survival”, in its most general terms and when applied to SE in its current state, is simply power and oxygen; everything else is just empire building. It’s made a little more interesting when you toss in ravenous “wolves” and/or “spiders” (or T600 terminator units).

10. Spets Master Engineer

the thing is, it is still coming? are they working on it right now? or was it cancelled and they act like it was never announced... like the pistol? can we expect this for this year? time is running out, the interest is fading

• Like Like x 1
  11. Malware Master Engineer

You haven't been paying attention, have you :p

12. Spets Master Engineer

well, the last I heard was they was working on the noob friendly interface and ingame(?) tutorial or something like that, not the survival part

13. Malware Master Engineer

They don't have just one developer you know. And it all needs to be done at some point. When they do so, that's very much up to them.

14. AlfieUK4 Trainee Engineer

In the Q&A during the MP Public Test stream, Marek specifically said '...regarding stuff that is more about survival and experiencing the game, its our next update that we will be working on. But don't take it as just survival, the next update is about focusing on the gameplay experience, balancing, and making the game easier to access for new players.' which is where we started to see people talking about a gameplay rather than a survival update. Marek just talks about 'the next update' or 'the next thing we are working on' rather than giving it a specific name.

15. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

The new yet-to-be-released SE update needs a name...a handle...so that everyone's on the same page. Henceforth I shall call it...Billy. Or Rufus. Or maybe Errol. Nah, I'll stick with Billy.

16. Malware Master Engineer

I stand corrected. I remembered that differently.

17. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

So, what can we reasonably expect to see in the Billy Update?

Wait, I know: Popcorn machine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

Popcorn!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Popcorn!!! :munch::munch::munch:

19. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

20. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Let the chanting begin:

Make it vanilla!
    Make it vanilla!
    Make it vanilla!
    Make...

21. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I don't know how to get the popcorn effect when it's vanilla. Ideas??

22. domingo Trainee Engineer

Popcorn and Vanilla tastes do not mix that well ...

23. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I am starting to think their definition of survival means not killing yourself by flying into a wall because the suit thruster acceleration was changed so you accelerate really fast, so it's kinda like a mini game in singleplayer.

It would be pretty funny actually if on ever death / respawn from medbay, you get stamped on your suit somewhere "Generation 2" > "Generation 3" > "Generation 4".... or in my case > "Generation 99999" Depending on how many times you have been revived by the medbay.. hahaha.

Put a whole new meaning to the term Zero Death...

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

and Spaceman Spiff was never seen nor heard from again. Legend has it if you listen carefully you can hear his munching whispered softly in the wind to this day.

25. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Fortunately, I play creative. Still, I nickname my character "Bonk" because he usually runs into things long before I can stop him. With realistic sound on it always sounds like he's in a fight, and losing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I really enjoy survival scenarios. Building in creative mode is interesting at times, but to me there's nothing like the challenge of finding a source of power and air to breathe, all while fighting off ravenous bugs or puppies.
    --- Automerge ---
    Kernel? As in Kernel Klink?

[​IMG]

28. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

The forum ranks you as "Apprentice Engineer", but I will always think of you as... Kernel.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Kernel... corn! I get it.
    :munch::munch::munch::munch::munch::munch::munch::munch::munch::munch::munch::munch: