Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

So, while exploring the debug menu .....

Discussion in 'General' started by Ulfsark, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ulfsark Master Engineer

I found THIS interesting panel .....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

What happens when you click one? Crash? Still very interesting, full earth solar system eventually?

3. Ulfsark Master Engineer

unfortunately I'm not in a sol system map atm, just a creative 20km deal. It does teleport you around though, and you get the warning about being out of bounds.

4. Tayrtahn Trainee Engineer

The "Zero" and "Billion" entries make me think that it was built to test stuff with the enlarged game world (teleporting the player to the world origin or a billion [kilo?]meters away) to test for floating point errors and such.

It could also be for testing something with the new multiplayer when players are far apart (how recently was this added?). It's possible then that the planet names just refer to distances from the sun, rather than plan for actual celestial bodies. Aren't the "infinite" worlds supposed to be slightly larger than the orbit of Jupiter? Jupiter is about 800 million km from the sun, which matches that reasonably well. But I feel like I'm stretching for that explanation a bit! Good find in any case!

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Two boxes higher on the menu is interesting as well. Probabaly just ME code, but...

6. Lrj52 Apprentice Engineer

The infinite worlds are around 6.6 AU big, so you are probably right about the purpose of the menu.

7. Ulfsark Master Engineer

the structual integrity? I saw that........ one can hope though. Once i'm done with my current project i'm gonna go experiment a bit with some of these options.

8. Knsgf Junior Engineer

Divided by 1000.

9. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Not to be a buzzkill but i'd deerly hope that would only affect grids in atmospheres otherwise we can say goodbuy to goodlooking ships outside Creative (and that presumes they wouldn't just force it upon us like the Dust Particles, Intertial Dampener Nerf or The Bloom Of Doom...)

10. Devon_v Senior Engineer

I wouldn't mind some really silly things breaking apart. So long as thrusters apply to center of mass SI is unlikely to do much to ships, but it might make crashes and explosions cooler. Planetary gravity would be a much harsher environment for it.

11. TheDuke540 Apprentice Engineer

I'm not sure how structural integrity would be expected to work in 0 gravity...but who knows.

12. Ulfsark Master Engineer

By way of thrust acting as gravity. Thrust too fast, see parts of your ship get left behind. Or, adversely, if the large thruster isn't secured to your ship, see the thruster go flying!

13. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

I don't know why you would think it wouldn't be an option. Structural Integrity would obviously be an option, since it can be very resource intensive and it would require
    A) Mid-range rig at least, for SP... And/or B) a pretty damn powerful server (like mine :) ) for MP

14. rexxar Senior Engineer

That is both an amazing and terrifying idea. Sign me up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. entspeak Senior Engineer

They'd have to change the way thrusters work in order to have structural integrity for ships in SE. Currently, regardless of position, thrusters work against the CoM. For structural integrity to work, they'd have to go with the way thrust works in real life. They may make that change, they may not. You'd also have ships that need to stay in low/zero g and those designed to land.

16. PhoenixTheSage Junior Engineer

It wouldn't be hard and also can be implemented as an option. @Knsgf already did it a while ago.

17. entspeak Senior Engineer

I didn't say it would be hard - there's a mod that adds a realistic thrust model. Thruster physics has been brought up pretty much since the game came out and they have always sided on easier ship design over realistic thrust model. They've never made it an option in all that time. Again, this is not to say they won't, but changing the thrust model is necessary in order for structural integrity to work right in SE.

18. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Realistic thrust model problems can be lessened greatly if they make an automatic dynamic trhust system, were the computer uses more thrust in some engines and less on others to make the centre of thrust match the centre of mass. It would solve other important problems like having the center of mass move around due to loading/unloading cargo, or connectors and merges.

Totally silly designs would be highly ineficient or impossible still, but for survival as an option it would be almost a must.

19. zDeveloper10 Junior Engineer

one thing is that every frame something's thrusted every block in a radius or perhaps the whole ship will feel the effects of thrusting. seeing how current calculations for anything similar take,imagine getting 1 fps or getting ahead of the sim while the engine's still trying to figure out whether that one block somewhere in the ship should crush under the force.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.