Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Solar Survival Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I've been thinking of putting up a Solar Survival Server. Anyone interested?

Basically, it will be a server that only uses solar panels and batteries for power generation. Having to be very strict and careful with a very limited power source would be an interesting challenge, as it will affect the speed of growth, exploration, and production.

I spent this afternoon developing a custom spawn ship. I have a couple of minor tweaks on it left. The idea is to give the player just enough ship to get going; but not enough to make life easy.

The run down on the ship is this:
    1 cockpit
    4 oxygen farms
    2 solar panels
    1 battery
    1 assembler
    1 refinery
    1 small cargo container
    1 gyro
    1 cryo chamber
    1 oxygen tank
    A handful of thrusters

I left space around the refinery and assembler so they can be fully upgraded.

I'm debating on adding more batteries. But I think that might make it a little too easy. I don't think I need the O2 tank but I'll keep it empty.

Another variant would be to get rid of two of the oxygen farms and fill up the O2 tank.

What I'm looking for is someone to co-admin the server with experience with SE Server Extender as well as using custom spawn ships and possibly custom encounter/cargo ships. I have the stand-alone server already in place and working. It's empty besides a copy of SE Server 64 bit and SE Server Extender. I'll provide access via TeamViewer for easy tweaking and set-up.

Here's my first draft of the spawn ship. I'm not hanging any armor off of it since that will just weigh it down unnecessarily.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

As I'm still setting up my survival server, and I don't even know what server extender does....AND I work 50-60 hours a week.... I wish I could.. I like challenges...

Edit: I'm currently working on a battery powered drill drone. Let me know if you want me to Publish it to the workshop. It's not quite tunneling right now, so needs some adjustments... And, I need to find a script to automatically set the batteries to charge when it docks. So....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  3. WraithLeader1 Apprentice Engineer

There is a mod that will automatically rotate a solar ship, If the sun is set to rotate, you should install it in the starter ship. Just to be kind...

Btw: My drone faction is a totally solar/battery set up

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm not a believer in a geocentric Earth. The sun doesn't rotate around anything. :)

5. jhnwgacy Trainee Engineer

burn him at stake for this heresy!

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Alright. It's up!!! I've turned meteors on to make it a little challenging. I'm still tweaking the respawn ship time. But it's running.

I'm actually enjoying it.... no reactors... and you have to be careful about parking your ship in the light because of meteors.

steam://connect/199.189.84.173:27516/

7. kittle Senior Engineer

so..... if you have solar only and meteors on... where do you park your ship when you log for the nite?
    The batteries to power your medbay/cryo-pod will eventually run out.

or do you plan to shut off the server when you log out?

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There in lies the challenge. The spawn ship comes with solar panels. If a panel is facing the sun, there's a chance it'll get picked off by a meteor. You can either move it out of the way and hide behind an asteroid during a storm or protect them with turrets. The spawn ship also has 4 oxygen farms. That's enough to keep you alive.

Batteries last for days when just powering cryo-chambers. An oxygen tank that's 10% full will last a few days.

It IS challenging. So I don't recommend the server for people who are just learning the game.

If you've been playing for a while and you've reached a point where the game is boring or presents no challenge to you, this is perfect. It's just challenging enough to keep you thinking about your next move. I think I have it balanced just right for the experienced player.

9. kittle Senior Engineer

a chance?

Unless they changed the meteor mechanics, its GUARANTEED you will be hit by a meteor as the "storms" are almost continuous.

Yes the batteries will last a long time just powering the just cro-chamber. But what about when you are online and need to refine ore? ... or away from your base mining, or doing something?
    Eventually the size of your solar panel array will be too big to hide behind an asteroid

but .. if you DO manage to pull this off and build a working base, please give us a narrative on how you accomplished it.

10. GeekWere Trainee Engineer

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm trying to do all of this without SESE. Tyrsis is a great programmer, but the interface is way too clunky, difficult to set up... and I'm also hosting on a game-server. So no SESE.

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm doing it now. The first step was to collect enough ore to build a couple of drones. I mined by hand. I'd park the ship behind an asteroid and inch out until the panels could charge the battery. I took turns between charging and mining. That way I'd get some energy built up. I left room on the assembler and the refinery to add in energy efficiency units. That was a priority.

I then began building a small functional base. I've had to rebuild the solar panels a few times as I'm still experimenting with what configuration works best. The panels are set up in two sections that do not connect. One small group of panels is dedicated to operating the production blocks and the cryo. The second set is for charging batteries. I keep them separate so that the turrets protecting the solar panels don't go offline. I might break the system into three to create a separate grid for life support (cryo chamber and oxygen).

I've built my solar panels on the side of an asteroid. They get 100% light but get a little bit of protection on one side from the asteroid. I'm still experimenting with the number of turrets, their range as well as their orientation to maximize protection but minimize targeting asteroids that aren't on direct impact trajectories.

I've died a few times from crashes or some how the oxygen getting turned off (which may be a game glitch). I've respawned in a ship twice.

The meteors got my panels again yesterday. I didn't mine enough magnesium to sustain them for long enough for me to... mine some more magnesium.

It's difficult. It's a real challenge. But that's what's missing from the game at this moment anyways.

Stop by and play for a while. It requires a completely different approach and priority set. You might like it. If not, that's okay too. I can't see this being everyone's cup of tea.

13. Draygo Senior Engineer

You say you are hosting with sese. If you need help setting up a server side mod like meteoroid let me know. Some hosting providers support it as well.

Personally letting the server hit my creation for 16 hours when I'm not playing is not that appealing.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Ah... I ditched the whole SESE thing after finding some mods to take care of this. I found SESE to be more of a hassle than it's worth.

15. kittle Senior Engineer

I did the same thing after it broke my server on patch day and refused to load for the whole weekend. GREAT potential - but way too much hassle.

Sounds like your well on the way to making this work.

I just might join you over the long weekend, can you PM me server info?

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It's live and working well. I've been on it for over a week. Scroll back up to post #6 for the server info.

It's RPI_SOS Solar Only Survival. Just type in RPI or Solar into the search field.

17. Two Apprentice Engineer

I made a respawn-ship mod for exactly that type of server, if you are interested you can find it here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=510916342

On the general idea of a solar-only server: It's interesting at first, but after a while you just setup some solar panels to get your base going and that's it. In fact batteries are the best power choice for small ships anyways, and a small miner can go for days with just one fully charged battery. The only trouble I see are the first few hours, where you need to get a Refinery/Assembler running by nothing but maybe 2-3 solar panels. But that's in the end just time it takes for it to complete.

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I've been alive for about two weeks and refining away. I started my spawn ship with 2 solar panels but expanded it to 8 as well as made the assembler/refinery more energy efficient.

19. fused Trainee Engineer

@Ronin1973

Just joined the server. Excellent idea. A friend of mine did something similar to this about a year ago, except Mods were not a thing yet at that time. We created a spawn ship with roughly the exact amount of materials to create an assembler and the proper ingots give or take to allow them to create a refinery (no Arc Furnaces back then either). The spawn ship came equipped with 4 solar panels, which was enough to run the assembler in short energy bursts. It was mega grindy for beginners which helped eliminate the griefers from coming in and ruining peoples builds. Not long after we created the spawn ship, they nerfed the solar panels which gave the ships faster acceleration. Prior that you would have to be MEGA accurate as a griefer to hit someone's base because it took you practically 5km's to get up to a decent ramming speed. It also helped filter out the hardcore survival players from the creative minded players. Eventually you got enough materials collected to create a Reactor then things got easier, but with your idea it's not even an option ... Love it.

Looking forward to playing for a while on this server.

20. Two Apprentice Engineer

We just did our first steps on the server and I must say it is surprisingly fun. When you can't just put in your standard blueprints and be done 5 minutes later simply because: How the hell do we get that big super-miner charged before meteor storms destroy everything??

One thing that I noticed however is - as commented at your respawn-ship mod - that the easiest way to get resources right now is to just keep respawning the respawn ship, since it has tons of equipment built in. I could keep myself from doing that, but others will definitely do it eventually.

If you feel like adding some additional mods, I have some suggestions that might fit the server:

Camera Overlay Tweak - Exchanges the pointless vanilla camera overlay with something realistic that makes cameras actually useful.
    Small Solar Panels - Smaller versions of the default solar panel with (relative) vanilla values. That would allow more flexibility when designing ships.
    Small Oxygen Tanks - Smaller oxygen tanks for small ships. So you don't have to drain 2 weeks of oxygen for every ship you fly.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm willing to reset the respawn time but I have to find a balance. People who first start the server die a lot more often. What do you guys feel a good respawn time is?

Certainly you can keep spamming respawn ships for energy and resources. But if you're willing to do that on purpose, I don't know what the solution should be. I could always up the respawn time to like 12 or 24 hours. That would piss off a lot of nubs. :)

I'm thinking maybe the Camera Overlay. But I won't be adding any new mods until I move the server to my main game server that offers FTP, easier mod placement etc.

I noticed the rise of a couple of factions. I was toying with the introduction of maybe some light role playing. Maybe something like me as universal adversary... but then people get a little bent when their base goes bubbye. I'm open to suggestions, but just realize that 90-95% of suggestions won't happen. Too much input creates a sense of entitlement and then everyone griefs over changes to play. :) You know the story. LOL.

Okay... the respawn ship is downloadable as a blueprint here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507089366&searchtext=solar+respawn+ship

You may want to toy with it in creative to figure out how best to modify it in game to best suit your needs.

I'm thinking of adding encounter ships too. But that's another big headache too. But I'll take your thoughts and opinions on that too. Maybe they are too easy of a resource, maybe not. I think there are a few solar ships that might be appropriate without killing the balance.

Give your feedback... I guess this is our unofficial forum. :)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF I MOVE THE SERVER I WILL ANNOUNCE IT HERE AND POST THE NEW IP ADDRESS IN THIS FORUM.

(sorry for the all caps but it's an important message)

23. fused Trainee Engineer

It's a fine line to run when it comes to putting a realistic timer on re-spawn ships to avoid spamming them in, and then not having as much fun dying repeatedly as a noob due to lack of planning. I would say if you could set a limit on the number of re-spawns allowed within a 12 hour period may work. If you re-spawn the default ship 3 times within 12 hours then something should happen to you in a negative way. It's too late right now for me to come up with any suggestions that don't sound ridiculous.

It is refreshing playing something that doesn't provide a quick end game and adds far greater challenges to planning and overall designs.

24. fused Trainee Engineer

I second all 3 of these mod's once you make the changes to the hosted server, none of them really give you any real added advantages over making things easier at the beginning or even mid-game. As long as the Power Output on the smaller panels are proportional to one another then so be it. One thing is for sure though, depending on how the mod is setup, the vanilla sized large panel for a large ship or station should be the only one that can power an assembler or a refinery on it's own (in very small bursts) which is rather silly to begin with but just with keeping with the vanilla feel.

25. Two Apprentice Engineer

I made a modified version of your respawn ship: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=515706662
    It is basically the same from a gameplay perspective, but it uses a lot less components.

No Oxygen Farms - With ice available you don't really need those, and those farms are extremely expensive to build, which also means they yield a ton of resources for free. With the 4 the original ship had, you could easily just build another 4 solar panels without loosing much.

No Oxygen Tank - The tank is more expensive than the generator yet provides nothing to the player since it was empty in the original design. So I swapped it with an oxygen generator, which is something a new player would build first anyway. I put in 1100 ice into that, which provides about 1.6h of air. That should be enough to find some ice.

No Cryo Chamber - As the cryo chamber does not provide respawning functionality like the medbay, the only use for it is to be able to relog. If a player really must do that within the first hours of the game, he/she can just build one, as they are pretty cheap to build. And as soon as you have a medical room setup, the cryo chamber becomes completely useless anyway.

I also reduced the amount of batteries to 2, which should still give enough battery life till the player decided for a place to settle down, while granting less free energy on respawn. I also removed the extra ore you put in, because a player can easily acquire those and it reduces the reason to respawn-spam the ship once again.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  26. Two Apprentice Engineer

I also made a Solar Shuttle as alternate respawn ship. This one contains the basic survival stuff, only 1 battery, an oxygen generator and just enough materials to create a very basic station with Assembler, Arc Furnace and 1 Solar Panel.

The idea is to have the big ship on a long respawn timer (like 1h), and the shuttle on a shorter respawn timer (like 10 minutes). So if you happen to die for some reason you can still respawn in the shuttle to find your old ship or start from scratch (the later with a penalty). Since the shuttle only contains materials for an Arc Furnace and not a Refinery, I think people would not go through the trouble to respawn-spam that ship at all, and it can stay on a low respawn timer as a last resort respawn.

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Ah... great idea. I'll crank up the respawn ship timer to something like once every two days and then add another tiny respawn ship that's available once every hour that's just enough to get from point A to B but nothing useful.

28. fused Trainee Engineer

I was trying to suggest the same thing last night but kept going back and forth on suggested cool down periods. Good job Menos ;).

Any ETA on doing your host changes?

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The small SpawnShip will be called "The Solar Shamer."

The design will reflect the name... don't worry. :)

• Like Like x 1
  30. Two Apprentice Engineer

I am curious about the result. :D

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.