Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Solar Survival Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Hope you love hot-pink.

2. Two Apprentice Engineer

Let me check... no. :p
    But I get an idea what you mean by Shame Shuttle. :D

3. fused Trainee Engineer

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

MMasters LCD script works well for battery life and requires no mod. It's not as pretty looking but is less likely to cause problems due to updates. There's not enough bang for the buck to add it IMO. It looks cool. I'll think about it but I'm going to need some convincing of how it's going to make gameplay better.

5. Two Apprentice Engineer

What I am missing actually is something to switch batteries to recharge automatically if there is power available. I tried via scripting, but it turned out that if you switch your batteries to recharge and they overload the solar power generation, the first thing that will be switched off is the programmable block. So you can turn on automatic recharging after a while, but have to turn it off manually later.

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Here is my own take: you have to build enough solar panels to charge one battery without taking down your critical systems. Exceeding your maximum at 200-400% seems to be okay to keep life-support and a few turrets active.

What I did was build 8 batteries and 9 timer blocks. I set all of my batteries to OFF and turned recharge ON. The timer block turns on one battery and it recharges fully and triggers the next block on a 45-60 minute delay. At the end the last block turns back on production blocks. You have to have enough solar panels to recharge one battery within 60 minutes for this to work.

The alternative route is to dump a bunch of small batteries on a small ship, connect it via a connector and run the same number of timer blocks on the small ship. Charging at 4MW is a bit easier than 12MW. You can then dump the contents of your small batteries to a larger one. You'll need 4 small batteries to charge a large one. But you also lose 20% of the stored power because of inefficiency.

I spent a bit of time building solar panels, turrets, and producing ammo. Build up your collection of ammo before investing into any permanent solar panels or turrets. Expect to lose what you build until you have around 50 boxes of ammo and a nice reserve of nickel and magnesium. Build four turrets and start building permanent solar panels. Keep adding more turrets and more panels. Keep mining and refining nickel and magnesium. Once you get to around 20-30 solar panels you have a decent shot of charging batteries and keeping your turrets alive.

It's a real balancing act in the beginning. You need energy, getting energy puts you at risk of getting creamed by meteors.

Just to note, I lost about 50 solar panels all told before I could sustain what I had. Don't give up or get frustrated. Just accept the loses and keep going.

7. Two Apprentice Engineer

So far we had no losses aside from the blocks I put out into the storm to test some theories, but it's seriously tedious to retract the solar array manually on every storm. And you obviously can't do that while offline.

I will try your recharge solution, but so far we don't have enough permanent panels to do that.

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I was lucky enough to find a huge deposit of magnesium that I JUST played out. So I have to find another one over the next week or my panels are toast. I've been storing up power in an array of batteries for just such an emergency (loss of solar array). I have 57 batteries charged and ready to go and enough materials to rebuild the solar panel once over. So I'll keep building batteries, charging them, and building up reserves.

I'm finishing up my designs on a large mobile mother ship with retracting solar panels. I'm pretty pleased with it. It'll house a 9 head small drill ship, a welder/grind ship, and a couple of fighters. It's covered in turrets for meteor protection as well as from other engineers. I'll probably deplete my reserve of power just charging it. LOL.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

SERVER UPDATE:

I will be moving the server some time this week, certainly.

I just finished the Solar Shamer Respawn Ship. I'll post pictures later.

I also just finished my first purpose built EV fighter. The RPI Wyvern Fighter. I did a gun metal version as well as a colored one. Note: the ship isn't black but a darker hued red/purple color. But it comes across as black from a distance.

10. Two Apprentice Engineer

You seem to like purple a lot. :p

11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It's my purple rein.

12. fused Trainee Engineer

13. fused Trainee Engineer

The one thing that could be improved upon is Server Warnings for any sort of reboots / restarts / updating. If a minute or two timer could be placed for any sort of shut down with a warning message that would be very convenient. Or if you yourself are restarting the server, giving everyone a heads up to empty their inventories would save a lot of cursing. haha.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The server is set to reboot everyday but I do not get to choose when and have no clue of when that is. I could change the setting to "never" but that would mean it would bog down pretty quickly. Let me know if there's a specific time it seems to reboot and we'll note it. That won't be a problem once I move the server to my other host.

I did shut it down and restart it this evening: for cleanup and updating the respawn ships. (more detail in next post).

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

SERVER UPDATE 9-14-15

I added another spawn ship "The Solar Shamer." I also changed the regular spawn ship to respawn every 100,000 seconds. So no more spamming of main spawn ships. "Ron" had them all over the map!

Speaking of which, I cleaned up a lot of rogue ships. If it was moving and had no med-bay it was basically toasted. I paid careful attention NOT to note any coordinates of your guy's stuff since I play on the map as well and that would give me an unfair advantage. It is PVP afterall and I plan to go headhunting soon. :)

If I deleted anything that was currently in use, I'm sorry. Post here if something you had was wacked. But you're going to have to prove it, I have both the before and after SBC file, so I'll know if you are fibbing and just delete ALL of your stuff if you are. :)

I ALSO NEED A VOLUNTEER

I need someone to respawn in the "Solar Shamer" and confirm that it works. There's no oxygen tank/generator on-board. But I threw in a couple of charged oxygen bottles... just enough to get you where you're going once the O2 in the cabin runs out.

Question:

Has anyone had any problem or success in respawning in the Med-Room. I didn't have that option on my respawn and was forced to ride my own Shame-Wagon back to my base. My medbay is on... hmmm....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  16. fused Trainee Engineer

Ya, we lost our Miner to the shut down. Not necessarily that it was removed on clean up or if it was destroyed by meteors because I was out mining at the time of the restart/cleanup. So I don't know if you can verify that or not. It was a 1 head drill miner but we all know how challenging this server is, so to lose a ship to a disconnect and not meteor or operator error is a piss off. What information would you require to confirm that our miner ship was wiped without revealing it's co-ordinates? There was a beacon on it named Miner if that helps?

As far as the medbay issue goes, I have had that problem before where I didn't have a medbay in my spawn list. Spawned in with just a jetpack (I never felt right spawning in the default spawner all the time) then suicided and then the medbay was up. This was when Menos had a recharge timer block in the mix, so a slim chance it was cycling the batteries at that exact moment I am not sure.

That link I posted, did you have a chance to view the mod and your thoughts?

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'll look for your miner and restore it to its original location with the thrusters off. There was only one player on when I shut down and I warned him to leave while I waited for the next autosave before the shutdown. Having a beacon on it helps quite a bit. Naming and renaming ships (respawns) helps tremendously distinguish between abandoned ships versus those that are in use.

Note, if a ship is moving with its dampeners off and no medbay or remote then it's subject to deletion.

18. fused Trainee Engineer

For sure. I have seen MOTD "Message of The Day" on other servers. Could try to have one on loadup asking people to rename or add a beacon (finished or not) to ships they don't want deleted. Or perhaps just a link to a site or thread stating the rules are listed there. Would keep lazy noobs that quit early like most do, miss out on renaming their ships or adding required blocks when doing a purge to avoid noob clutter. None will go to the site that aren't worth having on the server anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

That requires the installation of a server mod which isn't allowed on game servers. I could just put an indestructible grid at 0,0,0 with a beacon screaming for people to rename their ships.

20. Two Apprentice Engineer

I am looking forward to the final server setup. If you can post a link to the shame ship I will give it a try in single player and give some feedback. Thanks to that recurring and very annoying flu, there will be no MP for me atm. =(

21. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There's almost nothing to the Shamer ship. I had to use it once when my med room got a little buggy. LOL... good times flying that Mary-Kay moped.

22. k_bateson Trainee Engineer

Hi, I really like this idea and I would love to be part of you're team. My name on steam is k_bateson. Thanks

23. fused Trainee Engineer

Just join either through this link or insert 8.6.15.10:27025 into your Server Favorites in steam and connect that way. There is no whitelist to the server, it's public.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

ATTENTION! THE SERVER HAS MOVED.

Encountered a glitch while playing and decided that it was time to get into gear and move it. I tested it and it is working just fine. Please report back if your experience is otherwise. The server name is still the same. However there is a new IP.

8.6.15.10:27025

If you don't know how to connect via SE then you can do it via Steam.

1. Load Steam.
    2. Copy the IP address above.
    3. Find Steam in your toolbar menu on your desktop (it's the little UP facing arrow near the time in your Windows toolbar.
    4. Left click the arrow and go to the Steam icon.
    5. Right click the Steam Icon and choose "Servers" from the menu.
    6. Click the "Add A Server" button in the lower right hand on the pop-up.
    7. Paste in the IP above.
    8. Double-click your new server address and it should load the server in Space Engineers for you.

I've also added one more mod. 320125359

EctoSage has a better camera overlay and frankly the stock one is terribly annoying to use.

25. Delta99 Trainee Engineer

I like the idea. I am going to try and check it out when I have time.

How are you preventing people from building reactors though?

26. fused Trainee Engineer

Mod.

27. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Free-space DMZ treaty between the empires. No nuclear technology in the buffer zone. Any usage of nuclear technology is a direct violation and punishable by death on the spot. :)

And well... a pretty cool mod.

The mods on the server prevent nuclear reactors, disable standard respawn ships and I built a custom mod to allow my spawn ships to replace them.

There is a mod to replace the standard camera overlay with a clear one but it doesn't seem to be working DX7... perhaps DX11...

28. rittstar Trainee Engineer

is it possible or allowed to join together with a friendly engineer nearly the same spot?

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

It's not possible as far as spawning you two in the same location. However, if you are both on Steam Chat, you can create GPS coordinate and PM it to the other player to meet up. The initial spawn ship has enough power to travel quite a distance. So you should be able to coordinate with another player.

30. rittstar Trainee Engineer

that would do the trick, more important was the allowance to do so ;) ty

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.