Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Solar Survival Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Ronin1973, Aug 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

I just published this solar recharge platform (srp) script that might help you folks out:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=523172909&searchtext=Solar+recharge+platform

The idea behind it is that the platform would be free floating some distance from your asteroid base (1km works well for me in my survival world) and acts as a gas station to refuel your battery powered ships, or battery modules that get shuttled down to your station. It scales up well too, you can create multiple srps, or just one really big one, or install the script on an antenna relay with just one battery and a couple solar panels and it'll keep the relay powered.

The script keeps the srp aligned with the sun to constantly optimize solar panel performance. It also has battery management such that batteries that are on the srp grid are used to burst charge docked batteries, and while there are no docked batteries that need to be charged, the on srp batteries are recharged. That part is all automated and working well. Everything is commented heavily, the script doesn't have to rename any blocks to function, and the requirements and setup are pretty straight forward.

I'm also working on a companion script to automate battery drones fueling at the srp and then automatically returning to a "home dock" where they toggle to discharge to keep that station powered, they'd then automatically go back up to the srp to recharge themselves and repeat the whole process. I don't expect to have that ready for a while, but even manually shuttling batteries, it's quite effective.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

That's cool.

If you're into taking suggestions, I have one.

What I'd like to see is a script that is triggered by a looping timer.

When first compiled, the script will inventory all of the batteries associated with the object/grid.

10 When the script first runs and receives the appropriate argument, it will turn off all batteries. It will then select the first battery in the list.

20 If no argument is received it remain on the current battery in the list.

30 Then it will read the status of the battery selected.

40 If the charge is not 100%, it will set the battery to recharge and turn it on.

50 If the charge is 100%, it will turn off the battery off and turn the recharge off. It will also increment a variable so that the next battery on the list will be selected the next time the script is ran.

Bonus points if the script can access a specially designated LCD that displays the name of the current battery being charged, the percentage of charge, and its position in the list (1 of X, 2 of X) etc.

The argument can be supplied by a toolbar call to the programmable block or to be easier, a second timer block that passes the argument to the programmable block and turns on the looping timer block. I'd probably recommend setting the loop at 1 minute intervals or whatever is reasonable to perform the check.

Thanks for the consideration if you're up to this. Let me know either way. Hope to see you on the server.

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

ATTENTION:

DUE TO GAME BREAKING BUGS IN RELEASE 1.101 THE SERVER WILL BE ROLLED BACK TO 9/23/15 AT APPROXIMATELY 6PM PACIFIC STANDARD TIME ON THAT DATE.

Sorry for the inconvenience and the frustration. Gatling turrets have been swapped with Missile turrets in the update. Which means that your bases are probably not well defended from meteors. Connectors have unusually high magnetic force now and they come crashing into each other with destructive force. The superman bug is back, causing large ships to be pushed around by the player character.

There's also a report of batteries only accepting full charges when recharging.

There are a few other bugs being reported that are going to break your game as well, I'm sure.

So we're rolling it back to the last clean up sometime after the hotfix is released on Friday. This will make a few people unhappy that may have put in some work over the last two days. But these things happen.

4. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

I don't follow the suggestion in regards to my script. Right now mine is on a looping timer, and automatically does basically what you just suggested, but instead of one battery at a time, it uses all available power to accomplish the most parallel charging possible while not going more than 1 batteries worth of power beyond 100% of solar input so not to slow down charging. My script was designed for quick and constant battery turn over.

The LCD display thing is on my list of things to do.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Oh... well if yours already does that then disregard.

Will your script charge batteries from attached ships or other grids? If so, will that require a recompile? I'm interested in it for sure.

6. Klaern Apprentice Engineer

It's all automatic no recompile necessary. install directions are in a big 100 line comment at the top of the script along with various notes and a description of what it all does.

Here's a quick summary:

- Timer triggered every X seconds (Constant that defaults to 2 I think).
    - All gyros on the Solar Recharge Platform (SRP) are used to keep solar panels at some specified percentage of their max possible output (constant that defaults to 98% I think).
    - Gyros can be set to automatically be set to override by the script, or left manual where the pilot can toggle override off and control the SRP without the script stealing the gyros back every timer tick
    - Ideal solar panel layout is planar and equal on both sides (if one side is better than the other it can current get stuck on the wrong side, I intend to fix this later).
    - All batteries that are part of the SRP will be passively recharged as solar power is available in such a way to optimally charge batteries to full as quickly as possible (by preventing an overload higher than that of one charging battery)
    - Any battery that docks to the SRP grid (via connector, piston, or rotor; merges are considered part of the primary grid) will be recharged as quickly as possible.
    - SRP Batteries are used to burst charge docked batteries if solar power from panels isn't enough to fully accommodate docked batteries.
    - If docked batteries require more than 1 batteries worth of max input, some batteries will be turned off to recharge other batteries full to produce faster individual recharge speeds.
    - SRP Batteries only recharge when solar input is optimal (as set by the constant)
    - When the SRP is not at optimal solar power all SRP Batteries are turned on and set to discharge so to prevent a full power loss in the event the sun is blotted out for whatever reason (otherwise connectors drop).
    - Most of this is toggleable via constants at the top of the script.
    - This script will not rename any blocks what-so-ever.

I'll try to write this all up betting and shove it in the description of the script on the workshop this weekend. Maybe some screenshots too.

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

ATTENTION:

THE HOTFIX IS JUST A HOT MESS!

SO UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE I'M SHUTTING THE SERVER DOWN.

Until a hotfix that actually solves the problems comes out there's no point in leaving it up. I will reset it as soon as something that solves the problems created by the update comes out.

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The Server has been relaunched.

Sorry for the outage. I hope that Keen is a little more careful in their future releases.

9. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

I doubt they will. It is probably better to stop auto-updating after a more stable version gets released.

10. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I tried playing again today. I'm shutting it down again. I spent all day making a large small ship just to have it destroyed by the superman bug.

Arggg...

11. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

The servers I used to play on are down too. Admins have to restart them every 1-3 hours. Keen does not give a shit, and we have no way to roll back 2-3 patches. This is my first major disappointment with this nice game :(

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm going to put the world back up today. Hopefully things are stable enough.

13. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Oxygen tanks are not working. So your oxygen farms won't be refilling them.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I haven't noticed a problem. Hmm... I will look into if further.

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

As of today's update my game is crashing to desktop when leaving a cryo chamber or attempting to spawn at a med bay. If tomorrow's hotfix doesn't solve this issue, I'll take the server down for yet another week.

I do apologize. I think the last couple of weeks of bad updates has really driven players away and killed interest in the server. I'm open to suggestions but I don't know what more can be done.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.