Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Solution for planetary lag?

Discussion in 'General' started by Two, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Two Apprentice Engineer

I've enjoyed the new planetary update so far, except for the massive performance hit that came with it. At first I was down to ~6 fps average (in comparison: Fallout 4, GTA 5, everything runs fine at 60 fps), then I found a few things that solved the issue for me.

Setting the texture quality to medium cut the RAM usage in half and subsequently removed the FPS problem.

I am pretty sure that this is a bug, because there is little reason to hold all textures in both graphics and system memory. And then I doubt that this game has enough textures to fill up 15 GB of memory.

If you have similar issues, try the solution above and please let us know if it helped, or if there is more to this.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Well, the game is very unoptmized in the moment, so comparing them to Fallout 4 or GTAV is a bit unfair at the moment.

But talking about performance increase, what i am doing to increase FPS is as it follows:

- Set maximum objects on game to a maximum of 16;
    - Set flora to low;
    - All graphic settings are on mid and shadows on low.

With this i run planets with 20 to 30 FPS with some crashes time to time, but i can play for a good ammount of time before a crash happens... i usualy crash my ships on the ground most of the time. :p

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  3. Two Apprentice Engineer

Have you tried the texture quality setting? Because with that I could ramp up everything else to max and it did basically nothing to the FPS.

4. Mattes Trainee Engineer

To me it appears that the trees on a planet are rendered from 100 km of distance.
    When I look at a planet I get 5 FPS , looking into space I get 120 . Something is wrong here...

5. LFCavalcanti Senior Engineer

Third person with this argument today.

People can't understand the comparison here is to illustrate that this is not a Hardware Problem, just that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Two Apprentice Engineer

That is called occlusion. Basically what is not in the view port is not rendered at all like it does not exist.

I don't think that trees have such a big impact, but then this is only on my machine, maybe yours is different. The only way to know for sure is to measure the FPS, then for each setting put it down to lowest, compare the FPS and put it back up to max for the next setting. When doing that on my machine I learned that basically nothing makes a difference, except for texture quality.

7. Barfbag Trainee Engineer

I've only experienced lag when i turned grass too high. I have it set to .5

8. DocMop Junior Engineer

We have massive stalls (complete stops of a few seconds) when we play on planets over LAN both at the server and the client (independent from each other). Despite having good FPS (60 on host, ~40 on client).
    Sometimes the clients craft even spontaneously disintegrates midflight without apparent reason (nothing to collide to, no weapons, etc.).

Someone has an idea what causes this?

9. Devon_v Senior Engineer

In my experience you can leave texture quality at high, just drop voxel quality to medium and reduce the flora detail to half or less.

The planetary voxels seem to be the issue. Whether there's too many of them, they're too detailed, or they lack optimization, they drag the framerate down if you are rendering them at full quality.

Lag spikes are probabaly caused by overloading RAM. If you dont have enough VRAM the game loads the rest of the textures into RAM for quick swaps, but if you also run out of RAM it loads the rest into the swap file on your hard disk, and if it's not an SSD you're in for some serious lag as it shuffles things around.

I have 2GB VRAM, 8GB RAM, and an SSD swap file, and I only occasionally have lag spikes. RAM usage hangs at about 7.8GB with medium voxels.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.