Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Some MP Tricks, Do's and Dont's

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by delabu, Aug 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. delabu Apprentice Engineer

Ships are relocatable, of course. Which means, you can hide them in deep space, and then fly nearer for operations. You can even let them drift back to deep space overnight at a slow speed - makes it much harder to find them.

Bases have one distinct advantage : they are not part of the movement calculations in the physics engine. This means you get much less "shakies", especially if it's far out. They also add much less load on the server (and clients) in terms of physics calculations because of this. They are completely immovable - and this can be quite handy, especially if you want to dock a really big and heavy ship to them. One little base block can easily anchor a huge ship without it getting pushed.

As a result a static base is way safer if you want to dock stuff to it.

2. squisher Trainee Engineer

This can be deleted, bug was fixed.

3. Typo91 Trainee Engineer

good post, a few I new things in there I didn't even think of.
    Also I would add, Sneaky med bays like hidden in unusual places can help you in PVP. Like in your engineer nacelles, with a backup bridge.
    Also hide your bridge, my ship has 3 doors, 2 open to a turret, one opens to the bridge and a turret.
    And sometimes it helps to Store your ships with the Gyros OFF, and have it rotating, by grouping your gyros and using a hotkey to cut them off while rotating. Also your Gyros should be well hidden on your ship, to keep them from getting hacked.
    This method wont work 100% if you have piston or rotors on your ship as it may start to drift away.

4. RTM Apprentice Engineer

I don't believe that's true anymore.

5. Digi Senior Engineer

Well, you can switch damps on with RC now but there's still a high risk of losing your ship because of disconnects until the game has a failsafe to enable damps if the pilot disconnects when flying without damps.

6. g4borg Apprentice Engineer

one thing for IG programming, small fixes, like creating your own failsafe to check if all cockpits are occupied or not and turn of dampening if not would be possible

but i agree, a tick to turn dampening off if the cockpit user disconnects may be a nice option in the cockpit and better incorporated into the main game.
    however, there might be scenarios where a user leaves dampening off for some personal reasons, and multiple cockpits should of course not interfere each other.

7. RTM Apprentice Engineer

[SIZE= 13.3333339691162px]Use a timer when flying. If you put in a 300 sec timer after which the ships puts on damps and thus slows down. Hard to hit edge of map that way, unless you were on the edge flying out.[/SIZE]

8. Digi Senior Engineer

Yes I know, I'm already using timers but not for damps since I don't turn them off when mining, instead I use forward thruster override and 3 timers to disable the override and drills.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2014
  9. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Just reading the above, here's what I do now.

Add two cockpits and a timer to any ship.
    Set the timer to approx. flight time(3 to 5 minutes usually)and set actions to turn ON cockpit thruster controls.
    Bring ship up to speed and turn off MY (primary) cockpit thruster controls. This is effectively the same as flying damps off.

Now, two things will happen.
    If I exit the cockpit for any reason the second cockpit will take over. It still has thruster control so it will dampen and stop the ship.
    If the ship flies for the full timer amount the thruster controls will turn on to the primary cockpit and will stop the ship.

This is working very well, have not lost any ship since.

10. havok Apprentice Engineer

i wouldnt call it a failsafe, but how about a sensor near your medbay to detect players with the function of turning on dampeners, whenever you would spawn the ship would come to a halt

11. Digi Senior Engineer

Very nice method!
    That could also work with RC, just use the RC and disable control over thrusters then if you exit the RC then the cockpit should take over. Not sure if it will work the other way around.
    I'm gonna test that when I play SE next time since most of my ships have RC.

Well, not all ships have medbays and you can't specify to turn damps on or off, you can only toggle them at the moment, so everytime someone moves around or spawns at the medbay your damps will toggle... that can cause more harm than good :woot:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2014
  12. Haunty Apprentice Engineer

I have a keyboard with programmable buttons and I just made a repeating w key macro, lol, like a cruise control without turning off damps.
    There should just be a checkbox to turn on damps as soon as the player leaves the cockpit/disconnects.

13. delabu Apprentice Engineer

Added another way to coast safely (thanks Ghostickles) for long distance travel. Please let me know if items are out of date or not relevant anymore!

14. elch Apprentice Engineer

This list is just great!

15. GRIM_REPAIR Trainee Engineer

Do not play on servers that do not allow clients to save. Unless you completely trust that the admin is going to keep the server up and running for the time you expect to be playing. The client saving is a work around for people to save their stuff until survival blueprint saving is allowed.

16. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

The problem is you will lose your stuff if you are playing on a pvp server.

Also, great tips and bump for more attention.

17. mredge73 Apprentice Engineer

This is terrible advice for a 24/7 PVP survival server.
    Client saving allows rivals to use SET toolbox to locate your stuff for piracy.
    You are not saving anything; rather you will loose everything.

I suppose that it would be fine advice for a cooperate or creative server. Saving would allow someone else to host the world as soon as the original host bails out.

18. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

delabu; thanks for the credit but tbh RTM set the timer idea on the table first, mine was just redundant version of the idea. ;)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.