Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Elevator - 20km limit

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Pie, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Pie Apprentice Engineer

Hi,

After seeing a few attempts in the past, and even an official "Did you know" from Keen, a friend and I decided to try and build a space elevator. It's a 1x3 tower as we found that was the most stable. It's all one grid - our efforts involving rotors tended to collapse.

We've hit 20km, and can't place any more blocks. The server PCU and block limits are set to none. Sim speed is still at 1.0.

Any tips? Is this some configurable limit that can be disabled, or do we need to stick a rotor in and hope for the best?
    --- Automerge ---
    Few initial observations - using merge blocks didn't help for us. Even a connector didn't work - as soon as it was connected you couldn't build on top. Trying a rotor now, but that would make the next segment a ship which will likely kill performance (if it works at all). Watch this space...

2. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Try the rotor as "Locked" and if that fails then try a rotor + locked landing gear.

Though interesting to see that it still bugs out at these distances. 20 km is merely 8 000 large grid blocks in one direction.

3. Pie Apprentice Engineer

A locked rotor seems to be working so far with about 2-3km on top. It seems to wobble if you stand on it, but the car seems unphased and keeps on running.
    After a bit of Googling it does seem that the grid has a 0,0,0 and you can go around 8192 blocks in each direction. So if you could somehow reset 0,0,0 to half way up, you could go twice as far. Save file was XML last time I looked so someone could probably throw some perl together to fix it, but I'm not brave enough to try :)

EDIT:
    And sure enough, here it is - Y=8192:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.