Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Elevator via a tethered line from the surface to space (success)

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by warmachine2k, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. warmachine2k Apprentice Engineer

(there will be a video coming soon) it takes 5 minutes just to load the world and i am not even sure the game will behave properly while i record lol)
    so i did it i built a tether made of 10 sections, the base section is 201 blocks long and 9 sections at 2002 blocks long each for a total of 18,219 blocks at 2.5m each block totaling 45,547.50m (ss1) . now due to the amount of sections held together using connectors and landing gears (ss2). the sim speed took a hit and dropped from 1.00 to 0.50 and the travel time was lengthened to 13min 33sec due to the drop in sim speed. I am currently restructuring my tether design to see if i can increase the sim speed. it's a beautiful sight to behold at a distance but it won't all render in unfortunately since i had to keep my graphics setting at low (ss3). don't jump off early while coming back down in the elevator (like i did) i had a hell of a time chasing it down but the free falling experience was fun (ss5). this design is also based around 4 active elevators going up and down, with a fully conveyored line going up the center to a station.

in ss6 and ss7 you can see the transition from first concept to current one similarity remained they all were designed behind a roller coaster concept.
    (edit: before anyone asks it was done in creative yes but voxel and block destruction was enabled, and this can be built in survival)
    Uploaded world: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=559644262
    Note:
    oh fair warning don't break any blocks that would completely separate the tether from the base or your computer will hate you. and also don't unlock the landing gears or you will get this (ss4).

(ss1) watch that first step its a doozy
    [​IMG]
    (ss2) i literally just dropped the sections one on top of the other and locked the landing gears once the connectors magnets stopped each section from wobbling/shaking (this is in creative with block destruction off)
    [​IMG]
    (SS3)
    [​IMG]
    (ss4) yeah in earlier tries and fails i tried building the tether section with just connectors and it was going well till i got to about 60 sections (102 blocks long each) and even with the connectors locked it was made apparent to me that locked connectors can only handle so much weight before they get forced appart. now i will say this the game still throught hey were connected and when i managed to get close to them the light indicator for the lock was still green hehehe.
    [​IMG]
    (ss5)
    [​IMG]
    (ss6)
    [​IMG]
    (ss7)
    [​IMG]

i was paying so much attention to my stop watch i forgot to activate the handbrake and the elevator went flying off the rails :D
    [​IMG]

i am currently redesigning the tether and making a more proper base instead of just a flat board with a rope attached to it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  2. Andon Senior Engineer

Pfff. Go all the way to the moon. Quit half-assing it.

3. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

Firstly: that is bloody awesome mine is nothing in comparison and doesn't even have anything that can go up it yet that beast has 4 separate lifts.

However I was able to get up to 20 km on a single grid pasting 1km at a time so I don't know why you kept your sections so short.

Secondly I was able to merge 20km sections together keeping the thing as a single grid the whole way up.

What made you choose the connectors and landing gear combo instead :) ?

4. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

If that's a large grid, you could always use merge blocks. And even on a small grid you can connect the sections using merge blocks, then replace them with normal blocks, once you've secured the sections together

5. warmachine2k Apprentice Engineer

currently there's a limit to how many blocks you can place in a line on my first attempt i found out that 30,100 meters was the length before you could not add another block and you'd be forced to build it using the method i have going in this build (5th version)

well taking a section that is 30km takes a while to paste and you run the risk of the game hanging up on you.

as i stated in above (last screenshot i think) i am working on a new version and trying out longer a longer sections.

i'm pretty much working towards a design that can be built by having drones build it as they climb up and then have connector/landing gear section flown in and welded in place ten the drone continue building upwards and keep repeating the process till it's done.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.