Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Engineers is 2 Years old this Friday. What is some of your most memorable experiences?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kane, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kane Junior Engineer

So for people don't know the game was released 2 years this Friday marking the 2nd Anniversary.

What is amazing is the game was very basic and yet amazing. Featuring only Single Player and Creative mode.

What was some of your memorable experiences in Space Engineers?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

For me, the most memorable was to get the source code for the first time and be able to change anything, to the point of even testing the earliest versions of planets. It has been so fun.
    Also, the first announcements of "infinite" worlds and exploration were quite exciting.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. Braxbro Junior Engineer

Blowing my 'Apollo' auto miner to bits because I didn't know how big large warheads went boom.

4. Dreokor Senior Engineer

The most memorable moment was when they added planets.

(Also I cant shake the feeling your avatar is a missing texture @Kane ....must be a color-related thing)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

The most memorable moment was when survival first came out, and the first day I got and played the game.

6. Xorg78 Trainee Engineer

My first ship...

Blocky, way too many thrusters, and hard to maneuver but i was flying in space :)

7. Sir_Kings_Alot Trainee Engineer

my most memorable moment was when they changed the texture for armour blocks....

it really messed me up man, worse than the ladders

8. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

My first introduction to Space Engineers was the intro video. My jaw hit the floor when the Blue Ship got snapped in half. My early builds were primitive, as was the game, so we started out by building ramming-oriented vessels with armor spurs and trying to joust one another at maximum speed. Then came digging, space stations, horrible rotor miscalculations... all good times.

However, I have a sneaking suspicion that the best is yet to come. :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

For me was the moment i started playing this game! =)

10. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Maybe when my early experiments with centrifuge cylinders resulted in the Vomit Comet.

Or when I turned on meteors on the green station world and after one storm the Red Ship was left slowly spinning end over end.

Or when I made a huge cathedral based around a rotating Marker.

11. rylo Apprentice Engineer

For me it was the first time I started playing multiplayer. Back when it was a little more stable my faction was having a hard time getting established in a server since if you don't know everyone is an enemy in this game and it's amazing. Well we finally built a factory that could pump out more components then we could ever use faster than we could use them. What we did with this power was build war ships just a little bigger than the yellow starter ship for repair purposes and we equipped them with gravity drives so we could out run and maneuver anything we encountered. We took everyone back to the stone age. I mean we left our allies alone but everyone else that had griefed us was utterly obliterated except for one guy. This asshole was the bane of our existence. When we finally met him in battle it was a knock down drag out fight that lasted a good hour and a half us in our dinky warships and him in his mother ship which was huge by the way. We all ended up disabled and unable to move in space and it didn't take long for his ship to destroy ours but in that time we managed to grind down his med room and kill him. We patched and high jacked ship before he could make it back in time. We tore every single block of that thing down until there was nothing left and we never had to deal with him again.

I learned that day that it wasn't size that made you powerful in this game but logistical management , team work, and clever ship designs.

EDIT: also another lesson learned is that small ships are good for scouting and utility work but it's a really bad idea to bring one in a fight.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Starfang42 Trainee Engineer

Well, I've only had the game a couple months (I think I got in around 093 or 094), but I've already had some pretty memorable moments. I'd say my biggest was making a (mostly) working Ship Printer that is fully expandable in all directions with minimal work (Aside from expanding the Welder Wall if I'm increasing the radius).

Second would probably be some of the scripts I've done. A renamer script with plenty of flexibility, A Thrust Override Adjuster script, and a Speed Limiter script, all with the goal of making a completely script-controlled mining bore. Right as soon as drilling through asteroids stops being so derpy.

Oh, designing a modular mining hauler with the idea of carrying said mining bore. It's rather blocky, but I made at least some effort, especially with the cockpit module.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tharkus Junior Engineer

one of the most memorable moments in my S.E. experience was one year ago when
    they introduced the procedural and *unlimited asteroid space in the 1st year anniversary.

p.d: so i expect this second aniversary to be very memorable (planets? maybe ? ... HYPE!)

• Like Like x 2
  14. wildc4rd Trainee Engineer

Most memorable has been on my most recent world. Started on Lone Survivor map with Normal/Unlimited asteroids, was really pleased to find all the ores I needed quite close to hand when I spawned in. Made progress over several days, up to a decent mining ship, 2 welding ships, a grinding ship and a little scout/fighter. Base production of everything was automated, had started to build hangers/rooms defences etc.

Exhausted the supply of something (Uranium I think) on the local asteroids so moved out a little further, only to find I'd not set a waypoint for the base and had been relying on seeing the antenna (inside 10k?) and had lost my base. Thankfully I found it again after about an hour of searching, proximity to one of the pirate bases (that always show up) helped on this one.

Lesson Learned...

15. Mr Engineer Apprentice Engineer

One of my most memorable moments is building my first ship and taking it out for its first flight. I got the game around Feburary 2014 and I still have the ship, no way I'd get rid of it. Another memorable moment is from playing survival. I played for a while before going into survival so I knew I was ready, all that mining and breaking drills...Maybe recent but I remember them adding Pirate AI. Like with te Asteroids (tharkus) it pretty much changed the game adding more of a combat aspect. Like tharkus above I hope the second anniversary will be even more memorable.

16. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

My most memorable moment was when the Tapping killed my PC. The first time i landed a Shuttle inside of Hangar Bay One is a close second.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Arguro Trainee Engineer

Just the empty of space that Space Engineers has. That feeling of 'there is so much space here' and not getting lost. I hope this feeling of space and exploration, and the way you engineer solutions stays at the heart of that first experience.

My best experience was playing the stranded astronaut in survival and after wandering 5 nights (Real life nights) to find a ship that saved me and then, after more exploration find a Capital ship. I stripped down the vessel for my own design. So much fun!

Thanks for this thread OP, thanks for the game Keen!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Xellon Trainee Engineer

My most memorable Experience? Oh Boy, what a Question! I could think hours about it, but still fail to find a memory that really stands out from all the others. Was it the fatal failure of my first Mass Driver Cannon which resultet in the Cannon launching itself in the opposite direction? Or was one of the many attempts to build something complex with Rotors just to see it wiggle out of the space-time continuum? Or when I've build a Warship in Creative, copied it, and let the two beat up each other? Or when I've built my x-th Mining Drone that came out so well in the first try that I've made it my Standart? Or when I've finished the Ship that included this weird, yet somewhat practical design quirk I've came with recently? Or when I had a really nice Idea for a new Ingame-Script and the Folks on the Workshop totally loved it?

I don't know, there are so many good Memorys with this Game, I can't choose one. I'll just say that I've never regret buying Space Engineers, and that it really entertained me super good, even if it's still an Alpha!
    And that's something KEEN SHW should really be proud of - To build a Game, that is able entertain a large amount of People and make their lives a little happier, even if it's far from finished.
    Soo.. Keep up the good Work Keen, happy Birthday SpaceEngineers, and may you Folks build fabulous Spaceship after fabulous Spaceship!
    Oh - and maybe, we can throw some fabulous Ground Vehicles into the mix this evening! ;)

~Xellon

19. Bobylein Apprentice Engineer

For me it was in Multiplayer, me and some friends played on a server where you had instead of the standard astroid field (it was before infinite worlds I believe) huge "planetoids" each made out of one resource covered by stone and with a beacon.

Due to that you often met other players and we had quite some ig beef with the "admin faction" so we had some smaller fighs involving only fighters but at some point our base was found, it was an industrial ship with red letters on the black hull reading "Industrial One".
    There was no GPS mod on the server, so you had to navigate using the beacons of the planetoids or the skybox, we navigated with the beacons before but we couldn't move that far outside because of that. So we decided that we would fly to the middle planetoid and go from there to a specific point in the skybox, of course we scouted the area before but once our Baseship arrived and began to accelarate into the right direction (it was sooo fucking slow, it took about 2 minutes to get to full speed) some fighters and a corvette of the admin faction appaered and began to chase us.
    After a wild chase and no rockets left on any side, we had to give up and they took our ammo and resources but left us our ship, which was very nice of them.
    It were really intense 10 minutes but also quite disapointing as I found out that the speed of ships depends on the perfomance of the computer of the pilot... But after all it was a lot of fun :D

20. chrisb Senior Engineer

Playing for the first time, then wondering where 8hrs went.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Reflexus Apprentice Engineer

sucking an asteroid dry like an egg with a 30 drill monster :D priceless :)

Can't wait for all the bug fixing to be completed, so I could do it again :)

22. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

1st For Me It was Building a Ship out of Mainly warheads and crashing it on my friends base
    2nd Playing with Custom Planets with gravity and deleting the planet and leaving the gravity be hide sucking every ship in a 50k radius To that point and watching all the ships hit and ram each other until all smashed in scrap.
    3rd Pirate ships and jumping in to this ,,,
    [​IMG]

23. Super_Happy_Alien Apprentice Engineer

This why i made this Baby !!! until thats fixed,,..

[​IMG]

It can remove Most Rocks in under an hour or even less and it can travel at 5ms while eating, and Name of Ship is Chomper.

• Like Like x 2
  24. sights2012 Trainee Engineer

Mine was probably when I looked at Steam under how many hours I played and it was 500+ and I was like oh my gosh, apparently I love this game! Happy 2nd Anniversary KSH!

25. Levits Senior Engineer

My first 1:1 scale frigate-sized space ship. Still my pride and joy and the only ship of all of my creations to ever have 100% exterior lighting. :woot: never again I say. Spent more time on the lights than I did the actual interior... which has never actually been completed.

Aside from that, it would be my first introduction to rotors... the day that will haunt me forever. The day where I spent 30 minutes fine-tuning my hangar-bay door to fit just right and then watching in suspended disbelief as that massive slab of bulkhead broke free as I was flying towards my base before crashing into my bridge, destroying my command chair and pinning me within as the rest of my ship barreled headlong into the asteroid... just before it AutoSaved. If there is one thing that I will forever remember about Alpha SE is the fear, the pure unadulterated fear of using rotors :woot:. No other game I've played can hold the honor of making me so paranoid that I refused to use a block (or feature) simply because of the chances that it would destroy me.

26. Hakon102 Apprentice Engineer

My most memorable experiences? There are soo many hm...

1.st As I played the game for the first time. I started in with my Brother in Multiplayer at an "empty platform" . The first search for resources, the first mining of ore with hand drill, the building of the first small drilling ship, The expansion of the utility station and the building of the first big ship (a scouting Corvette). 15h playtime in 3 days :-D

2.nd Was after I builded/finished a big Hangar-Door for our Asteroid Base in MP (Survival). Builded with Rotors for movement and Landing gears for locking. It consist of two door parts(leaf). The door parts(leafs) were built of heavy armor and hooked into each other with slopes. After an another half hour of motor configuration it worked very very well.
    Every one of our Team was so happy/excited about this door. This was a really nice Moment....

...Some days later, someone from a other Team tried to ram through this door with a small ship. The Door survived with a few a few scrapes and scratches. unfortunately the enemy found an other way in our Base -.-

27. LATENT PRECISE-IMPOSER Apprentice Engineer

My Most Memorable moment was when Multiplayer came out an my friend built a penis-shaped ship... then he rammed it into my vagina-shaped base.

and then the game crashed. The End.

• Like Like x 2
  28. Franblast Apprentice Engineer

So sex in space IS possible!

29. TodesRitter Moderator

i cant remember it :x

• Like Like x 1
  30. Pennywise Apprentice Engineer

The day when scripting has become a part of gameplay. I cant remember what date it was, but it was in december.
    I already quit playing SE at that moment, but after that i've become highly addicted to SE again. And stay till now.
    So, Big Thanx and happy birthday, Space Engineers!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.