Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Speed Limit for Ships

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by OrangeKing64, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. OrangeKing64 Trainee Engineer

The Speed limiter for rovers is awesome, but it could also be super beneficial for ships for reasons such as docking and just casual flying. Lets be honest you dont need to go 100 m/s in every situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

That's true, but if I understand well what you want, then it's already possible to finely tune your ship's speed. You just have to put your thrusters in a group, then you can drag & drop this group in your toolbar and choose "thruster override increase" and decrease, as well as thruster toggling on and off. This way you can accelerate very slowly when needed and disable your thrusters when you are flying at your desired speed.:) And don't forget, of course, to shut down the dampeners.:D

3. Pabloss Trainee Engineer

Good idea.

A Max speed override that can be assigned to any ship using cockpit

4. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

That doesn't limits your speed. You just accelerate slower.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

Yes, but my point is not just about a slower acceleration, it is about a slower acceleration to get to the desired speed value. Just see it as a workaround to palliate the lack of a speed limiter for ships. You just need slightly more time than with a speed limiter but you can adjust the ship's speed to a low value without the need of an actual speed limiter.

6. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

That's pointless. You can't maintain X speed with thruster override. Your speed will increase all the time. You can't use it to LIMIT your speed.

7. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

But my point is NOT to maintain thruster override continuously, read again carefully my first message, especially the last phrase.

8. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

Then your suggestion has nothing to do with the OP's request. For space, it might work, but would be nothing like what the OP is asking for (Because your suggestion would only work properly if you want to move in one direction. If you would like to steer and keep your, let's say 80m/s, it would be impossible. While you can keep 100m/s easily in the same situation without screwing with override.). In planetary gravity your suggestion is completely off. You would crash in no time if you look away for a second. I know what you are trying to tell, but trust me, it just would not work as the OP wants it to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Volcano Apprentice Engineer

My suggestion is not totally pointless. OP talked about docking, and it is a case where a slow acceleration is not only useful but mandatory, unless you want to crash in your dock and turn your ship into a mess of twisted metal. :woot:

10. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Limiting acceleration is useful, and (I would argue) more useful for docking purposes than an overall max speed limit for a ship.

However, the OP also referred to "casual flying" which would definitely benefit from an adjustable max speed. The limiting acceleration to adjust max speed trick only works if you have inertial dampeners off, and that's a dicey situation for some people (and much harder to handle in planetary gravity). I really like the suggestion to be able to set a speed cap for a ship. Think of it as a way to pull your ship out of your normal always-on "super cruise" flight mode, into a slower standard maneuvering speed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

Finally someone gets it. :D
    https://media.giphy.com/media/1Z02vuppxP1Pa/200.gif

12. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I thought there were scripts for setting max speeds. It would speed up at max power until it reaches your set speed and it would alternate your thrust override at its lowest setting on and off around a set range of your chosen speed. You set it to 55 and it tuns off at around 57 and turns on at 53 something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bumber Senior Engineer

Personally, I wouldn't try to dock using thruster overrides. Better to shut off a few thrusters, if you're able to.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.