Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Standalone / Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SonicBroom, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SonicBroom Trainee Engineer

Hello.

Is there an ETA on a standalone /dedicated server exe? Or perhaps a parameter that can be passed to the main exe instead to enable a console mode?

I have looked but can't find much information on the subject, a feature like this would be great. Happy to test it on a server i have!

Thanks in advance!

2. DarkGhost Junior Engineer

http://forums.keenswh.com/search

"Dedicated server" as keyword

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/dedicated-server-6766600?highlight=dedicated+server
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/dedicated-server-software-6750151?highlight=dedicated+server
    http://forums.keenswh.com/post/multiplayer-dedicated-server-option-6718000?highlight=dedicated+server

+ all the other posts/threads on the Steam SE forum .... Guess it's enough answers, no ? :3

3. SonicBroom Trainee Engineer

4. Evis Apprentice Engineer

It clearly is not enough. The earliest request for info is about 60 days old, and still no estimate, which means his question isn't answered.

5. Ondrej.Petrzilka Developer

Hi, we'll start working on dedicated servers in few days.
    There's no estimate, because nobody knows what issues may arise.

When we start working on that, we'll have better idea.

6. Fenlig Trainee Engineer

Share any thoughts on a linux version of the dedicated server?

7. GnatTheGnome Apprentice Engineer

Time to start rebuilding my server...

8. radam Senior Engineer

A few things might be easy:

A modified avtosave that only saves for the host.
    And godmode for the host, or not being a player at all.

Im wondering are all the clients computing all the physics in the game for their own simulation?

Like does it even matter who hosts atm?

9. Fenlig Trainee Engineer

From the sounds of things, a dedicated server was probably never in the original plan which will make it very difficult to setup now. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Fenlig

10. Bibmo Trainee Engineer

Nice to hear you really want to start working on dedicated servers.

One thing i always wished to have for example like it is in arma3 or DCS World :
    Have the ability to run the game without actually display the gfx, like simple config options "render3d = false" or some -server parameters for a cmd line.
    But if you can get a standalone dedicated version for win and linux then it would be even better.

11. Ash87 Senior Engineer

@fenlig: Well they said in some interviews that dedicated server support was on their itinerary, so it's probably going to happen since they have been planning for it.

As to the when, no idea. I'd bet not until we get more along in terms of features the team wishes to implement.

12. Fenlig Trainee Engineer

My Linux minecraft server has run dry and I'd love to replace it with this.

13. Tonysp Trainee Engineer

Dev's said somewhere that they will first make dedicated server only for Windows.

14. Psychos Trainee Engineer

Waiting for dedicated for LINUX, most internet servers works with Linux not Windows.
    I hope it will not be in java like minecraft !

15. Hailedbean Trainee Engineer

Waiting for the Dedicated server; kind of at a stand still with my friends because we all have to wait to build until we're all online. Please kick this process into a high gear and put the pedal to the floor.

16. MrWilson Trainee Engineer

Yea really hope dedicated servers are the next thing to be added, Really want to leave our server online and not have to host it on my local all day while friends build and i work.. Doesnt really work out that well...

17. Rick_Bardock Trainee Engineer

Ever since survival was released, I've been hosting my own server off my computer. A dedicated exe client is a must for the future. One of the major problems I've encountered, steam disconnects at random when my internet connection is fine. A constant steam connection shouldn't be required to keep the game up. Another major issue, theres no way to change the spawning location or game type. I'd like to disable players from spawning with starter ships. They are too ez to be salvaged, and they enspire greifers to just start raming players that work hard on thier projects.

Also, there needs to be a way to control the distance we can see player names from. I have it enabled currently because I'm now running my server on friends only. I was public, however I've had all these issues and more. We have about 12 dedicated players currently. My server name is "Dedicated US Southeast" if anyone was wondering. Still growing strong for now as a survival only server. I've even not cheated once.

18. Ender Trainee Engineer

So with the user 'dedicated servers/hosts' as they are now, we basically just need a person to allow their Client (a reliable/performance efficient one) to stay online. Basically that's it. Host can be gone but leave their PC/Linux system running the game.
    Theres times it would be down for restarts or whatever, but at least I wouldn't have to start a brand new Survival game 2 times a day because hosts leave to go eat, parents yell at them, internet sucks, or a plethora of other issues.

My question is, if I want to put my own hosted game up, can I run a Private game, build for a while, then open it up to Public. Then at any time change it back to Private or 'Friends' if I wish? Or is it a static type where you cannot change it?

19. Ender Trainee Engineer

Rick_Bardock... I noticed you said you try to run a 'dedicated' one that's always on..is this for Friends only? I don't see it and haven't in the last few days. Can I ask the stats of the game (game mode) and can I add you on Steam to join?
    Looking to invest my hours of gameplay into a single location, and not restart 2 or 3 times a day as people leave.... and know when I come back my stuff is there lol

20. megatarre Trainee Engineer

To fix the issue with spawning with a noob ship every time someone dies is easy. My server I just make everyone tear down there med bay and put it eles where. It seem if you create a med bay you spawn there every time no matter what. This cuts out all the new ships being added to your game.

21. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

The last medbay "You" finished constructing that is "powered on" with either solar or nuclear doesnt matter will act as your personal spawn point ( i am trying to come up with a way to change this but still have the ability to spawn and have a chance since the need for refinement etc, you are pretty screwed unless you have a way to do so.. kinda like how some minecraft servers have the main spawn area unchangable so griefers cant destroy the "public" appliances? )

So everyone spawns in on the same site/base ( could be admin locked so it could be built into some cool midway station to the frontier? ideas cropping up, soz ^^ ) as one way to solve the respawn issue ( i am having the same problem and the main fact is that the component parts are too easy to salvage, metal in general is just a lot easier to mine and refine instead of spending time scrapping the entire thing but stuff as reactor components, thrusters etc are never needed to be built as there is an infinite of them floating around... )

22. Hawthorn Apprentice Engineer

It would be great if we could get dedicated servers through the host that Starbound partners with. (What are they called? Multiplay?)
    I'd love to run a server, but I don't have a spare machine to run it on. I'd totally pay for hosting.

23. wad Trainee Engineer

I'll definitely set up a dedicated linux server to run a Space Engineers world, as soon as its available. Then all my gamer friends will be buying licenses, so we can play together. :)

24. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

I don't mean to burst a bubble (I'd love a dedicated server myself) but I think that the current network model they are using would be really hard to adapt to a dedicated server.

Before we'll have even a glint of home, Keen needs to fix up the current version of their networking, so that players that use home servers can play reliably and without spectacular errors destroying player work (I'm looking at you lag jitter)

So let's cheer the developers on! Yay!

25. hoodie Trainee Engineer

Whoa, I didn't even know there was no dedicated servers yet. Glad I looked into the forums before persuading 2 friends of mine to purchase Space Engineers :D
    I hope this will be a high priority task ;)

26. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

No dedicated servers doesn't mean you can't play with friends. With or without, you can just host a regular server.

27. hoodie Trainee Engineer

Haha yes, but while this is true it also bears a couple of disadvantages as low pings due to my limited bandwidth, a machine not exactly suitable to act as a server for ~5-8 people and timezones, forcing me to keep my machine running at all times unless I want everyone to play when I do.
    Nah, first dedicated servers, then I'm gonna do some advertising. ^^

28. Evis Apprentice Engineer

The jitter you see is likely a result of the host's machine failing to keep up with changes.

Consider you're using most of your proc and gpu to render and update the game locally, and then the client get sync'd. If the server (also known as a listen client verse a dedicated) is incapable of processing locate/remote clients simultaneously, you'll see stutters.

I have a half-way decent machine, and a very strong internet connection. I can support about 4 players before the overhead gets too high.

There is nothing to 'fix' and everything to 'complete.'

If this is to be a multiplayer game, then dedicated servers must be at the very top of the list, because integrating everything after the fact (without a method for expansion) is a production nightmare.

29. wad Trainee Engineer

Agree. A dedicated server is critical for multiplayer. But it's got to run on Linux. Windows is for games, Linux is for servers. The dedicated server program shouldn't have a GUI of any sort. And the server code should be freely available to anyone who wants to download and run it.

30. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

You and your team are champions.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.