Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Standalone / Dedicated Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SonicBroom, Mar 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mishka Junior Engineer

As soon as dedicated servers are released i will be running 4 :) 1 Private, 2 Whitelist (survival and creative) then one fully public survival

2. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

My tests have shown that actually, the network structure needs to be fixed, since it implements only a partially authoritative model. The client does their own physics calculation and sends the results to the host - tested on a few different machines (from fairly new and strong to few years old with outdated OSes) and varying connections (from high-grade to low-end, also trans-continental).

Jitter is a result of probably bad network design, not host's fault (i.e. a good host and shitty clients shouldn't cause jitter, but they do).

Here is an actual example with my commentary: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1282165004&postcount=10

3. SaintMerc Trainee Engineer

Greetings,

Hi all great game, Got my community buddies playing it in less than a week ;)
    As we love multiplay survival games, Currently we are on a server I host.
    But can't wait for dedicated server files so I can host servers on my dedicated box.
    To cut the slight lag issues down a little. Plus hopeing for a bigger world, with asteroids
    spread out with in the world and not all in one place. :p

My Box Hosted at a datacentre in London.
    PowerEdge R210 II
    Intel Xeon E3-1280 Processor (3.5GHz, Turbo)
    32GB Memory
    Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Web Edition, English, Including Media
    1Gb connection

Regards.

4. mattaperry Trainee Engineer

Just wait patiantly, it is in development... I think I read that somewere on here
    It's maybe in development!

5. Ferigad Trainee Engineer

It is or it is maybe? :woot: Quit frankly, i am not sure myself if they ever planned dedicated support.

But despite of that i agree that the devolopment of a dedicated server system should pushed higher on the priority. At the moment it´s still a nice single sandboxgame, but the way to host a game does at the moment ruin most of the multiplayer experience witch creates in the end a bad reputation about the multiplayerpart of Space Engineers. I guess some of the actual issues could be solved with a stable connection and a high performance server.

6. DofD Apprentice Engineer

Just look at the second or third post in this thread :p
    They ARE working at it but didnt say anything when it will be released. I think they run into problems and dont give us infos so we dont hype anything and blame them if it doesnt deliver what we wanted

7. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Yeah it's post like... 4 on this thread. Also, read the AMA, clearing in there as well.

So going by what was said when this thread was started in march, they started working on dedicated servers around March 5th, so we've had 2 solid months of development towards it now. Don't know what that means frankly (As to if they are just beginning or if that is time to get some substantial progress, I'm not a developer, just someone who enjoys following them), just pointing it out.

8. jetstream01 Apprentice Engineer

Waiting for this feature as well. It will alleviate so many issues. Good to see that they've been working on it for a few months now. I just wish we'd get SOME kind of clue as to when major features like this are coming. Like you said Ash, I really have no idea whether 2 months of development is enough to mostly develop dedicated servers or if it's barely enough to scratch the surface.

9. SaintMerc Trainee Engineer

Greetings,

I would somewhat have to agree with the latest posts on here regarding dedicated server support,
    Like most who would like to run a dedicated server. I would say we are not trying to be pushy.
    But maybe a little information on the progress of the dedicated server support.

As my earlier post stats I have a high end dedicated box in a data centre with a 1gig up and down
    connection. I would gladly volunteer my services for testing before you roll it out to all, if need be.
    If so just PM me.

Regards.

P.s Congratulations on the 500.000 subscribers. ;)

10. beringtom Trainee Engineer

so... Any chance for a small update?

11. gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

From what I have looked over so far(with the game), almost all .DLL files which are required by the client, are easily linkable within Linux WINE. Now this is not to say that the server call files will not need their own source libraries, but from what I can see now, WINE may not run shaders or graphics off the bat, but it does recognise a lot of the linkage for the core files, and thus some more-savvy person then me that knows Linux, will make it work. All of my Windows-Only Dedicated Servers I have running through WINE operate just as well as their Linux counter parts, with a few exceptions to resource usage.

**Edit
    @Phand or Moderator.

Please make a suggestion to whomever, to supply the Dedicated Server host within steam's DS Content Servers, even it it requires a subscription for user login.
    Keeping the game files separate from the DS allows for servers to be updated less painstakingly and eliminates the total download/update time, size, and effort required in order to keep one or more servers managed. It also allows for people like me and also server host companies ( if you end up allowing that to happen ), to easily have their server content application setup and programmed within the already-setup environment for it. Everything I need is already programmed in, I just need a few variables! :sneaky:

12. Evis Apprentice Engineer

Any update on the status of dedicated servers?

The MP community is in limbo until this is realized.

13. BigDaddy Trainee Engineer

From what I'm reading they just broke multiplayer more than it was pre-patch. I can't stand to play again until they fix the desync with drills and grinders.

14. xProedge Trainee Engineer

We have a community of around 50 people on a teamspeak for another game but around 23 of us have now gotten space engineers and on weekends we have to host 3 different worlds some of them laggy just to get everyone to play. It's a bit of a nightmare, plus we can't all play on the same world and keep the stuff done on each server saved and put into one save. So, as much as I don't like to rush game devs and let them work on the product they desire, I do hope dedicated servers come out soon. We have the power to host our own dedicated. We just need the way to host it. Thanks,

15. laminblake Trainee Engineer

I would expect they would want to smooth out some of the MP stability issues before announcing dedicated support. Dedicated servers won't do much good when you have consistent memory leaks and stability issues. IMO

16. QuantaCat Trainee Engineer

Its been 2 months since one of the devs made that post, personally, I do quite like that conveyers are working and turrets and all of that, but an MP update will be the one Im rooting for. The community sorely needs dedicated servers and factions. But mostly the former.

Oh and passwordable servers.

So Im extremely impressed by the rate features get added, bugs gets squashed, but I have an entire community to cater to, which is impossible without dedicated servers.
    (www.RockPaperShotgun.com)

17. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

Welcome to the fourms, I belive this is the glimer of light down the tunnel your looking for.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OndrejPetrzilka/status/469490099483586560

Please note our current build and that dev build.
    This is no promise from them but just showing they are indeed working on it and does exist.

18. QuantaCat Trainee Engineer

That is fantastic news! Ill see if I can get an answer regarding to progress. But from that version number, it does look like the upcoming one.

Thanks for the info!

19. Malware Master Engineer

As a dedicated server noob, I'd like to know what kind of hardware would be needed to run one, for just a few people?

20. QuantaCat Trainee Engineer

I would say that youll atleast need a good quad core CPU, at minimum 8gb of RAM and of course a great internet connection, up and download. (atleast 10mbps in both directions)

21. loose_unit Trainee Engineer

I am really looking forward to this!

22. Malware Master Engineer

23. mattaperry Trainee Engineer

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/roaming-server-file-manager-now-with-automatic-uploads-v2-0-6838858?pid=1282964402#post1282964402
    try this software for a semi-reasonable answer to dedicated servers

24. QuantaCat Trainee Engineer

If Keenswh is releasing the dedicated server software today, then I think its a bit too late.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.