Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Starter ship contest!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TherianUlf, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

EDIT: VOTING HAS BEGUN!

So I have picked my top 3 favorite, due to Meeting requirements, functionality and then looks. here is some stats on my findings, and some pretty pictures!

DOWNLOADS:
    PROSPECTOR
    HLSS
    FIREFLY

our first finalist, Asir Astronautics, Presents: Prospector 2259 edition
    [​IMG]
    These little ships have everything a new frontier engineer may need when they find them selves in a survival situation, its equip with solar collectors, a battery to store extra power, and a back up reactor.
    In ramming testing: These little ships were capable of penetrating a light steel wall of armor, but, disintegrated on impact.

Our second finalist, Solastar Industries presents, HLSS(Hostile Location Survival Ship)
    [​IMG]
    These little ships are more terrifying looking then they are in reality, a single small reactor, everything you need to scrap together a base, and a gun that wobbles you a bit(ammo not included). Everything a budding Pirate on a budge needs.
    In ramming testing: These little ships were capable of penetrating a light steel wall of armor, and stayed mostly intact, not flyable. They were also able to do decent damage to heavy armor.

Our Last finalist, Unknown Squid presents, The ES3-Firefly
    [​IMG]
    "Simplicity is the ultimate in sophistication"- Leonardo da Vinci And thats the motto that the Firefly takes to bed. powered by solar and a battery alone, this little ship is all about speed and efficiency. Was that an asteroid? or is it a big ship? Either way, you can get there quickly, and run away just as fast!

-Therian

2. THE_VB Junior Engineer

3. DanDuncombe Apprentice Engineer

They do specifically say no steam workshop links.

4. THE_VB Junior Engineer

BTW show an example of the PERMLINK, because I didnt get it.

5. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

permanent link. Somewhere people can download the sbc file, like the link on my start ship post. It links to a Web server I own. Media fire, rapid share, anything like that

6. THE_VB Junior Engineer

>server I own
    Why so complicated?

PS. 'ere you go, Mr. Complicator.

7. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

What's wrong with a workshop link? isn't that the point of it?

8. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

The reason STEAM WORKSHOP files are not accepted:
    They are much harder to test, the steam workshop file includes the entire world, not just the ship. so the files are MBs large, not KB. which just makes more to transfer.
    However, on the other hand, giving just a ship file allows me to place it directly in a test world with everyone else's ship. so i can test it for vitality, speed, ramming ability, and what not.
    This is for my ease of access and judging. If I got steam workshop files, I have to go into SEtoolbox, guess what your ship is, export it, name it with all the others. All that i'm really asking for is a little bit of pre-processing.
    -Therian

9. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

Fair enough. I thought you were just looking at each ship individually.

10. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for understanding, I wish to test them all by flying them around, testing to make sure that they have all the necessary equipment to start. I want to feel the ship in a hostile environment, get shot at in it. lots of things i already have test environments for.

11. THE_VB Junior Engineer

I see no challengers here.
    Yeah, there will be only one...
    [​IMG]
    Lol.

12. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

hahaha
    I figure people are just getting their ships together, I might repost it in general so more people see it.
    -Therian

13. Typo91 Trainee Engineer

[​IMG]
    This is an old one, but i use this one still a lot.

its got everything you need, its designed for realistic mode cargo space. Medbay, reactor, grav gen, assembler, and refinery
    Recently it occurred to me, that you could go SUPER hard core, and just have 2 connectors worth of parts, and no reactor, so you could use your small ship to power your first refinery and assembler to build your first large reactor the hard way.

14. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Nice ship man! Thanks for the entry. I'm sorry if you already posted but I can't tell on my phone, is there a ship file? Lol man that would be the pretty hard core.

15. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

*UPDATED*

I present the AurenStone Industries- Survival Travel Kit

Built for realistic storage settings.

Contains:
    Large Ship Reactor -Components
    Assembler -Components
    Refinery -ingots
    Medbay -ingots
    1 ingot of uranium

Anti griefing features:
    Lightweight construction -doesn't do much inertial damage

Single thruster at rear -Requires more skill to control ship properly and line up a target

No glass in cockpit -the slightest impact breaks the cockpit

Artificial Mass block -makes ship harder to steer properly in gravity fields. Friendlies on server can use gravity generators to repel rammers.

Refinery and Med bay resources require assembly -The ship must be broken down significantly and remade into an assembler before you can use the ingots for the refinery and med bay

Manufacturer's Warnings:
    Drive carefully -best used well away from asteroids by beginners. Park by spinning on the spot until all velocity cancelled out.
    Disassemble with care -Do not lose or destroy anything during unpacking as all cargo and components are essential.
    Plan your recharge -make sure you keep a place to recharge while you unpack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bxyoia20HXS2c09mOU54N0JyeW8/edit

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=288639032

16. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Wow! Nice ships guys! I'm going to collaborate these and start testing!
    Therian

17. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

You'll have to disqualify my ship unfortunately. I did some more testing and realised that while it is loaded using x1 storage space, the assembler was on x10 efficiency when I was converting the med bay and refinery. So if you try and use this ship on your x1 server you'll be short by several thousand Iron :(

18. GotLag Senior Engineer

The Econopod!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comes with 1 kg of uranium and the components to build a refinery, assembler, connector, and 25 extra steel plates to build a single station block (or lay out the framework for more). The Lite version spawns with the small ship connector unbuilt, and has extra components in the container to build it.

Mass: 3,757 (3,063 Lite)
    Reactors: 1
    Gyros: 1
    Thrusters: 10 (1 left and right and 2 up, down, forward and back)

Scout around and find a place to set up your refinery, assembler and connector. Power the refinery and assembler by docking the ship while you go off and use your hand drill. The four small hatches on the Econopod's connector are deliberately exposed to allow more reactors to be quickly added; five small reactors are almost enough to run the refinery or assembler at full speed at a much lower cost than a single station small reactor.
    Or you can use your mined and refined resources to build that small reactor and free the Econopod for mining: add 3 small conveyor tubes to the front connector port and you can mount a drill right in front of the cockpit.

Download:
    Econopod
    Econopod Lite

19. entspeak Senior Engineer

Is the competition closed? I didn't see this post until now.

20. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

just repost for 1-1-1-1 =)

21. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Nope! Contest entry ends next Friday the 25th. Then I'll judge over the weekend, and voting will go all that next week

22. folkmold Trainee Engineer

@entspeak I don't know, but the thread only started two days ago. Anyway, I'll post my design too.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It's bigger than a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ all of the other ships posted here, but for a good reason: the medium cargo container on the inside is linked to the rest of the ship by a single artificial mass block.
    It has enough juice and upward thrust to counteract a gravity generator, and land safely, but heavy enough to make flying through gravity fields quite difficult. (But you can't take off from a complete stop. If you want to fly away, you'll have to scoot yourself off the nearest cliff. So choose your destination wisely!)

In order to remove said artificial mass blocks, you have to disconnect the cargo from the rest of the plane, forcing you to either leave it behind and come back for it, or blow up your ship (because that's what happens when you try to fly with the cargo container tumbling around the inside).
    You can't access the cargo either, except by cutting a hole in the ship, giving extra incentive to scrap this thing at the earliest opportunity. It's really ineffective at everything other than taking you and your supplies to where you need to go. The container has everything needed to build all the essentials. (I may have accidentally added those supplies to every container, including the reactors. I can fix that, or just upload a version with empty cargo).

There is 1 gyroscope and 3 small reactors.
    (I tried editing the .sbc to add uranium to the reactors, but I kept screwing it up. So if you need fuel, just cut a hole in the hull and steal it from the cargo container)

Download
    The Starburst Flyer

23. Malactus Trainee Engineer

Ill post mine (or edit into this post) after I get home and upload the steamworkshop file (that was already parsed into an empty world with only the ship....) into dropbox for submission.

24. PeterHammerman Junior Engineer

Here goes mine ;) PZK "Shaman"
    Not very manuverable, In container all neccessary items to build starting small platform with refinery, assembler, reactor, medical room. Side bumpers, uncovered cockpit has 5 star in NCAP test - Pilot dies on impact and first impact fits in 1x1 block.
    Also compatible with x1 survival.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ryc8rsduxcox7sp/RespawnShip.sbc

25. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

so far we have lots of fantastic entries! I fly home tonight, and i'll compile all these ships and do a write up about first impressions, remember you have till the 25 to make your entry!
    -Therian

26. DanDuncombe Apprentice Engineer

My ship: Basic Starter Ship Mk.I
    [​IMG]

Has a partially charged battery for power, and 2 solar panels. The cargo container has enough for a 5x5 platform, medical room, reactor, assembler and refinery. It is fairly light, and is unlikely to cause much damage in a crash.
    Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vlq320o0bqy5rce/RespawnShip.sbc

27. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Wow! I like this! nice ship man.
    I am home now, so I'm going to start messing with the ships now!
    -Therian

28. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

I would like to introduce Solastar Industries hostile space survival ship!

[​IMG]
    This baby has everything you need to get there and survive!
    Your kit comes with all the essentials, med bay refinery,assembler, reactor all that good stuff.
    But wait there's more!
    This ship comes with all the latest advances in technology.
    Tired of burning uranium?
    Good you can use the included power cells to make a new battery powered ship!
    When you get there don't forget to make some ammo so you can you use our amazing gattling cannon technology to persuade pesky raiders to leave you alone!
    All this for only 3 easy payments of $99.99*

*We dont actually charge for this here is a link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/knduumm559wb6no/SmallShip_Base_in_a_Box.sbc

29. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

Are you sick of joining servers seeing a little pod and thinking "Man I really don't want to weld up another damn assembler."?
    Do you hate people that start with large maneuverable ships that can melt you base in one ram?

If you answered yes or no to any of these questions have I ever got the thing for you!

Presenting.........

Drum Roll

The Winabaso!!!

[​IMG]

Now you can just tow your base up park it and bam! Instant station! Now you can ignore that crapping welding and get on with what everyone loves doing most, mining with hand drill! Haha just kidding we know you hate that thing (so do we). You can use the included materials to make you very own battery powered drill ship! Now aint that somethin!

All credit for ship goes to IzzenXAZ

http://www.mediafire.com/view/at33lv1f7zq5mtj/LargeShip_winabaso.sbc

30. HurricaneGirl Apprentice Engineer

For my games, I use the Rescue Ship Mk II. It's small enough to be griefer unfriendly, but has more than enough materials for the enterprising Space Engineer to build both a refinery and a assembler. The ship also has a mounted drill for mining, an ore detector and a spotlight. A variable position solar panel ensures that you never run short on power!

The Mk III has a rotor-mounted solar panel, but it unfortunately won't stick around when exported to .sbc format.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.