Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Starter ship contest!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TherianUlf, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Awesome. By strange coincidence I actually played around with making a starter ship design earlier this week, just for fun. And now there's a convenient thread to share it in. Perfect. : )

ES3-Firefly
    Economy Shuttlecraft

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Presenting the ES3-Firefly economy shuttle-craft.

Completely solar powered, but sporting a high capacity battery that will keep the Firefly glowing happily even in the dark. Taking it's name from a historic entertainment broadcast back in the early space age, the ES3-Firefly is a spacecraft built upon the concepts of freedom, adventure, and a low budget.

The two cargo panniers contain all the typical starting components, and have enough spare room left over for the server admin to customise it a bit. It's light weight with almost no non-vital components or armour. In the unlikely occasion that a pilot was careless enough to be pointing directly towards or away from the sun without any battery reserve, the craft is light weight enough that the owner can disembark and give the ship a light push on the wings, which will give it enough spin to catch the sun and boot up again. The battery can be given a bit of extra charge during travel in any direction by switching off inertial dampening and rotating the craft as appropriate.

Whilst flying, note that the 'Y' key works as a handy hotkey to change the battery mode.

SBC LINK - https://www.dropbox.com/s/bv7gxmhwkvjfs6s/Respawn%20Ship_ES3-Firefly.sbc

And here's a regular steam link anyway, just for a few extra images, and any others that might like to check it out that way. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=288258419

2. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

I really like you ship unknown squid. Pretty great start with solar cells and a battery plus it looks great too!

3. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

Ok I've updated my post with a new version of my ship that works with all settings.

4. GotLag Senior Engineer

Will it invalidate my entry if I say I'm modding my game to make this the default ship? I really like it.

5. Ceejay9 Trainee Engineer

Afraid I haven't even touched the SEtoolset or the like. But has anyone thought of a DIY starter ship? Simply a small cockpit and 2 med. cargo containers with the components to build 6 thrusters, a small reactor with a small amount of Uranium, a gyroscope and the other starting materials. Don't even need to add steel plates, as they can use as many from the starter bundle as they wish as long as they remember to grind it all down afterwards.

Perhaps not the most new player friendly, but at least if someone griefs in it, you can be assured they spent at least some of the amount of time you spent building what they destroyed building their own ship.

6. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

Thanks guys. Glad you like it. Makes me feel fuzzy inside to hear that GotLag. ^_^

I can say that I do also admire the stylish simplicity of the Econopod. Has a nice shape to it, and the idea behind using the ship to power the refinery and such is really cool.

7. GotLag Senior Engineer

I declare this meeting of the Mutual Admiration Society open.

Thanks, but I made it about 6 hours before batteries were released, and together with the solar buff I feel they render the "small reactor + uranium" method of slowing down respawning players obsolete.
    I threw together a quick battery-powered replacement version but when I edited the save's .sbs file to make the battery fully-charged it didn't drain when I flew it around. Will have to experiment more.

8. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

you could probably fix that by loading it up in a survival game and charging it up manually.

9. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

That's how I did mine, includeing the components. Though I didn't aim for any specific battery charge. Was just what it ended up with after testing.

10. Trevish Apprentice Engineer

Alright, built and tested the first version on your server before the wipe, retested everything on 1-1-1-1 and checked to make sure the battery stayed charged when loaded as a starter ship, also an easy version is included, of course if you wanted you can just add reactor components to the hard version to get a middle ground. Thrusters are high mounted to prevent damage to your connector when/if pulling free.

Hardcore start no uranium/reactor; Ship is battery powered a connector and components for refinery, assembler, medbay, small station container, and station connector so you can power the above (hint: keep anything you don't need running off till you get a reactor and some uranium... including the medbay)

SmallShip_Starter Ship Battery.sbc
    http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/92162441/file.html

[​IMG]

Easy Version: no battery, parts for a station small reactor included, 2 uranium

<div>SmallShip_Starter Ship.sbc
    http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/85433192/file.html

</div>
    [​IMG]
    Edit: fixed the other link, accidently had the battery ship twice.

11. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Man, I have an old starter style ship I've been using for a while.
    It was made pre-conveyors. I'm also not sure if it can hold enough materials in x1 (single medium cargo container).

I hope I'll have time to fix it up before Friday.

PS.
    Not to sound like a jerk, but what's wrong with just copy-pasting the ship from a workshop world? If it were uploaded in an empty world, it'd be easy to find.

EDIT: Does the starter ship have to hold required materials at x1?
    I also wonder why you require a large reactor. A small one is more than sufficient.
    It's your contest of course, but I won't be able to enter. :(

12. GnatTheGnome Apprentice Engineer

Hmm. I built mine pre-batteries and the solar upgrade, but here it be.

It is as compact as I can make it. Designed as an "escape pod" to fit inside a 1x1x2 large block area on the parent ship. Contains materials to start a basic base (reactor, refinery, assembler, a few extra plates). Steal uranium from the escape pod to power the new base and start drilling. Oh, also has an ore detector so you can pick a decent starting spot.

It aint pretty, and has zero armor, but even at top speed it isnt going to do much damage on a ram.

[​IMG]

I can post the sbc file soon as I find somewhere to host it.

13. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

It's because it allows him to load them into one save to compare and test far far quicker than opening and closing 10 to 20 different world files and copy pasting ships that way. With SBC files he could throw 60 ships into a save in about 6 minutes, rather than two hours. Also to actually be used as a starting ship, it needs to be exported as an SBC file at some point anyway, so someone's gotta do it. Gave me a reason to finally download and play with SE Toolbox at least.

And for that reactor bit, he meant it needs to have enough resources on board to build a Small Reactor for a Large Ship. Although some of the entries here have also presented alternatives with stuff like powering the machinery through a connector on the respawn ship, which seems valid enough an idea to me, and I believe have been accepted.

Dunno about the x1 thing. Wasn't stated as a specific requirement. Might be considered an advantage, although very few dedicated servers so far have actually used x1 storage settings anyway, so perhaps it's not that big a deal?

14. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

I see. It just seems like it's more prone to errors if you have many people doing the process (whom have probably have never done it before), vs one person who knows it well.
    I personally have never touched an sbc file.

Ah, I misread it then.

Okay then. If x1 isn't needed (I saw others mention it, but no official word), I'll submit mine anyway (if I can figure SEToolBox out tonight).

Thanks for your reply.

15. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

OK everyone! last day to submit! tomorrow judging will start, I will present my 5 favorite for voting on monday
    -Therian

16. GigaCorp Trainee Engineer

Here's my entry, similar to what CeeJay was suggesting about DIY, I give you the BYOS (Build Your Own Ship). It comes in two versions:

The Standard BYOS:

[​IMG]
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=00538523487421749728

The Hard BYOS:

[​IMG]
    http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=87757630623795057062

The only difference between the two versions is the standard one has the reactor built already to power a beacon explaining what to do, which I imagine will cut down greatly on the number of people joining and going "wuuuut?! why doent my shipz work?? wut do i do?!". On the flip side, if you want more of a gating mechanism against people who don't know what they're doing, you can go with the 'hard' one which is frankly not any harder if you know how to play.

Both versions have the components necessary to build 6 thrusters and a gyro (and the reactor on the hard one), and those components are separated and at the beginning of the cargo container list for easy transfer. The cargo also contains the components necessary to build the starting base, of course. The reactor in the standard version has a miniscule amount of uranium to power the beacon, so you have to use the uranium in the cargo to reload it. Overall if you know what your doing it takes no time at all to finish the ship and be off, but hopefully that extra 'work' will make trolls seek easier targets elsewhere. Also the damage a ship can do in ramming seems to be very dependent on the mass of the ship, and this is just about the lightest ship possible. It works with 2x inventory and above.

Edit: I just timed it, and the hard version took me less than 3 minutes to finish on Realistic welding speed. 3 minutes is nothing to a normal player starting out, but an eternity to a griefer trying to do it over and over.

17. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Since you host a US WEST server...
    does that mean the submissions end at 11:59pm PDT tonight?
    I hope so, as I'm at work now. :)

18. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

Asir Astronautics would like to submit these entrants to your Competition;
    Notice; All these vessels are balanced and ready for any server even on Realistic settings.
    Anyone interested in trying out these ships may do so HERE

Asir's Trademark Vessel, The Ahpe! now
    Ahpe V4.1 - Survival Package

Designed by the famed engineer Yadro (aka BlankWarningSign) Head of Asir's Civilian Development Division, the Ahpe is a staple found on star bases across known space. The new Ahpe V4.1 - Survival Package Comes with all basic components found in our Quick Station Package, which includes all the materials necessary for the construction of a Medical Bay, Assembler, Refinery, Large Ship/Station Small Reactor, and 100 extra Steel Plates for infrastructure to support the components. After the quick station pack has been used the two medium containers deconstruct and pack away into the Ahpe's on board small containers, further reducing its effective mass.

Download Here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Asir Astronautics E.S.P. Mk1

The standard super capital ship Emergency Survival Pod is designed to keep evacuating crew alive indefinitely until they can be retrieved by Search and Rescue personnel. The E.S.P. comes standard with an Asir Quick Station Package. By design an E.S.P. is capable of being mounted upon large vessels as an escape Pod.

Download Here

[​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Asir Astronautics Prospector line of asteroid belt survey craft.

Econo-Prospector (2101 Edition)

This inexpensive design was meant for the wildcatters ranging the asteroid fields in late 2101 hoping to strike it rich. While the electronics and power supply have been updated the Econo-Prospector still holds well today with its bare essentials build and renewable power source. Modern purchase options for the Econo-Prospector include an Asir Quick Station Package at no extra charge.

Download Here

[​IMG]

And lastly the more modern

Prospector 2259 edition - Deluxe Package

Designed for modern survey crews this hardy little worker jets around the belt with ease. The addition of armor reinforcement helping to keep Surveyors alive long enough to flee would be assailants. While the ship itself comes with some bare essential repair materials, the Deluxe package also includes the Asir Quick Station Package as a bonus.

Download Here

[​IMG]

19. xXxSirDidymusxXx Apprentice Engineer

Is this contest still active?

20. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

Just as a side note. I noticed a lot of people Leaving out the medical room in their lists of what they have in their cargo pods.....

Tomorrow is the last day he will be judging them over the weekend

21. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

nah it ends when i get around to it tomorrow
    lol
    -therian

22. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Here's my entrant:

Originally designed as a station worker ship which was small enough to fit in tight quarters, this variant of the Work Bee doubles as small starter ship with all the amenities one could ask for*. It is light and maneuverable, which offers some defense if you come in to a LZ hot.
    Usable on x3 or greater inventory servers. Bonus items included: 1 Large Connector and 1 large light armor block worth of steel.

Also available in a station trim, which replaces the connector with a landing gear mounted on the rear.

*Some assembly required

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SBC Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1omoddhct3bzp0/SmallShip_72093009058720027.zip
    Alternate

Note, I don't play MP, so I don't know how to test anti-grief-ability.

23. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

THE STARTER SHIP CONTEST IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED! NO MORE SUBMITTING! ANYTHING AFTER THIS POST WILL BE DENIED!

24. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

25. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

So I have started the first part of judging, disqualification. i have two reasons to disqualify out right:
    1. you didn't follow the rules. (ship cant fly, doesnt have the right needs, yada yada)
    2. I Can't open the ship file.

If you dont see your ship, Assume its disqualified. I will be trying to post everyone who was disqualified a reason for the disqualify. Feel free to message me if you dont see your ship and you dont think it met any of the disqualify pointers.

ANYONE WHO SUBMITTED BEFORE THE DEADLINE AND WAS DISQUALIFIED MAY REENTER THEIR SHIP WHEN PROBLEMS ARE FIXED!

I WILL ONLY TAKE RE-SUBMITTED SHIPS UNTIL SAT 26 @ 9PM PST!

The submissions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the target, Lokis Cunning pre-dedicated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you everyone for participating! there was way more love then I ever expected!
    -Therian

26. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Disqualifed
    Can not fly from start. please make it flyable and resubmit.

27. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Disqualified, Flies. but not really. Please add more thrusters to resubmit

28. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

disqualified
    please add medical bay components and resubmit

29. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Disqualified: I really like the design, but unfortunately, unless the ship is merged together, it cant be used as a respawn ship. I will accept a resubmit

30. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Fix your pictures please.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.