Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Starter ship contest!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TherianUlf, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Stupid Dropbox. Seems to only work from my IP (or has a expiration). I put them on my own webserver.

I updated my original post. Sorry about that.

EDIT: I changed the quote above as well.

2. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, you'll now be considered

3. Gwindalmir Senior Engineer

Thanks for the re-sub.

Oops. I just realized I left the power off.
    I hope that's not a problem.

4. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

It shouldn't be. I'm using setoolbox to handle the files

5. GigaCorp Trainee Engineer

Not flying from the start is the entire purpose. I think you might want to reconsider this 'rule', since having some assembly required is a powerful gating mechanism against griefers. Think about it, regular players will have no problem spending a couple minutes building their ship for their first time playing on the server, but every time a griefer wants to ram someone he has to rebuild it.

I actually saw this mechanism on another server, except it was wayyy more complicated than mine. The thruster components were inside small containers buried inside the ship and you had to grind stuff just to get to them. I think the principle is a good one though, certainly worth letting people vote on.

6. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

People get podded all the time on my server, I can't possibly make it harder for them to escape, or i might as well force them to spawn in turrets, naked, with just a sock on their ding dong.
    -Therian

7. DeathsHead Apprentice Engineer

Rust in spaaaaace..

8. GotLag Senior Engineer

I realised I forgot the medical bay in my Econopod.
    Uploaded new versions with med bay parts (although I had to disassemble the medical components and grids to make them fit in the container) and uranium reduced to 0.1 kg:
    Econopod-M (includes small ship connector already built)
    Econopod Lite-M (includes parts to build small ship connector)

9. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

I think the Winabaso wont work properly then if you can't use it like that as a starter then it kinda defeats the purpose. I will ask Izzen about it though.

10. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

So I have picked my top 3 favorite, due to Meeting requirements, functionality and then looks. here is some stats on my findings, and some pretty pictures!

DOWNLOADS:
    PROSPECTOR
    HLSS
    FIREFLY

our first finalist, Asir Astronautics, Presents: Prospector 2259 edition
    [​IMG]
    These little ships have everything a new frontier engineer may need when they find them selves in a survival situation, its equip with solar collectors, a battery to store extra power, and a back up reactor.
    In ramming testing: These little ships were capable of penetrating a light steel wall of armor, but, disintegrated on impact.

Our second finalist, Solastar Industries presents, HLSS(Hostile Location Survival Ship)
    [​IMG]
    These little ships are more terrifying looking then they are in reality, a single small reactor, everything you need to scrap together a base, and a gun that wobbles you a bit(ammo not included). Everything a budding Pirate on a budge needs.
    In ramming testing: These little ships were capable of penetrating a light steel wall of armor, and stayed mostly intact, not flyable. They were also able to do decent damage to heavy armor.

Our Last finalist, Unknown Squid presents, The ES3-Firefly
    [​IMG] "Simplicity is the ultimate in sophistication"- Leonardo da Vinci And thats the motto that the Firefly takes to bed. powered by solar and a battery alone, this little ship is all about speed and efficiency. Was that an asteroid? or is it a big ship? Either way, you can get there quickly, and run away just as fast!

-Therian

11. xxjcxx89 Trainee Engineer

Too opinion based, and it seems like your looking for an easy start survival in which case assuming looking at 10x mode which isn't that great unless your on a dedicated public server that has no community, and you can expect your creations life expectancy to be less than a week. A survival ship with a gattling gun at the start? If it has ammo = super easy grief mode before even crashing the ship into your hard work, if it doesn't have ammo = da faq?

Can't depend on prospector or firefly to get you out of anything if there are any hostiles your a sitting duck lack power to get you going foward fast enough. So I don't see any functionality while I can see solar panels being great for free energy when first starting off it gives very little as first you need to find an asteroid and more than likely that won't give you a good angle at the sun unless you fly than dampner off and angle towards in which case still does nothing for you.

I do see the battery on prospector but this is a starter ship, it isn't something your going to keep for any purpose so even when you do start flying to that rock and angle toward the sun how much energy you really going to collect? Are you really going to fly it in again after you get settled? When that battery is fully charged are you going to really bother building connectors on ship and station just to get 15-30 minutes of energy? Probably not

The only thing I can agree on this is looks I see no functionality in any means, if you would please enlighten me on your thoughts to that than maybe I could see something I don't see now.

12. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

I don't think you understand what is going on here.
    These have all been submitted by players to be the starting ship on my server. each of them contain everything you need to create a station, with a reactor, medbay, refinery, and assembler. These 3 have passed all the tests, and will now be voted on.
    -Therian

13. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

On my server [USWEST]TherianNet This is the current starter ship
    Everyone kept asking for a new one, that was more stylized, so i had this contest.
    I'm thinking now i probably shouldn't have deleted the OC when I edited in the finalist, but oh well what can I do.
    -Therian

14. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

is it just me or does the firefly look like spaceship by Disney?

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

15. GotLag Senior Engineer

Nah, it's a space dong with solar wings. That's why I use it, at least.

16. GotLag Senior Engineer

You have to power the refinery with the solar panels/batteries on yours, too. I only realised when I started a survival game with it, that you have materials to build the refinery, assembler, and reactor, but you have no uranium.
    To get uranium you have to build the refinery, connectors on it and the ship, and refine some uranium before disassembling the connectors to build the assembler and reactor.

It's a nice little resource puzzle :)

17. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

That... is a very good point. o_o;

I overlooked that. Not intentional. I'd highly recommend in that case, that Therian adds either some Uranium, or some components for two connectors if he's ends up using it. I guess I should also edit my download links, because that might be a bit too much of a "puzzle" for some. I consider the design to be my entry really. The exact starting components are down to sever owner preferences.

And guys... you wound me... :woot:

18. GotLag Senior Engineer

If it's any consolation, I have grown so attached to it I can't bring myself to cannibalise it and am having to build a small mining ship from scratch instead.

If I made any change though, it would be to rotate the solar panels so they face forward rather than up. That would make it much easier to orient to the sun while drifting/charging.

19. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

Thank you everyone for voting! just a few more days!
    Once the vote is complete, ill add the new starter ship to my server!
    -Therian

20. Jay Bernard Trainee Engineer

Do the downloads not work?

21. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

wow HLSS is really unpopular :( lol I'm the only one who has voted for it. Well top 3 is still nice :). As a consolation prize I will go fly it into some more walls.

22. Trevish Apprentice Engineer

The problem is that Gat, without ammo its pointless as a starter gets taken apart on a server with temporary ship despawn, and with ammo its the most griefer friendly of the lot, I like the look but not for a starter ship.

23. gi_ty Apprentice Engineer

Well the idea behind the gat was giving the starter more materials for a small ship drill. I personally hate hand drilling so the whole idea behind my ship was an easy transition to base with a small drill. I alluded to the fact in my OP but I can see that it was unnecessarily vague. Either way the prospector and the firefly are both fantastic ships and I will be happy with whatever the vote decides. I think it would be interesting to start with some solar panels. It would change the early game quite a bit.

24. Hasbinbad Apprentice Engineer

I know I'm late to this, and I don't really want to prevent someone else from winning the contest (if you guys even like it lol), but I thought I'd share the RespawnShip from Land of Nod with the SE community.

Sooooo.. Here it is! :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=294602043

25. Unknown Squid Apprentice Engineer

When was the voting actually set to end? Either way, seems safe to give our congratulations to DMMWolf and the Prospector. Was nearly neck and neck for a while, but turned a slight lead into a decisive lead towards the end. Those few extra utility items it includes (ore detector and connector) do make it seem like a ship that will actually help get you started, a bit more than the Firefly's minimalist component taxi and suit recharge role. Might be what won it ultimately.

26. Josh Trainee Engineer

The little bumblebee design that's the current first picture in the OP is really awesome. My only complaint with them is that it isn't readily modifiable into a mining rig which is what new players really need in survival servers.

27. TherianUlf Apprentice Engineer

CONTEST IS CLOSED!
    Looks to me like the Prospector easily won. as soon as the faction bug is fixed, this will be my servers starter ship!
    thank you everyone for competing!
    -Therian

28. DMMWolf Apprentice Engineer

While the Prospector itself was indeed my personal design. Always give credit to the group as a whole when submitted as something from the group.

Asir Astronautics thanks you Squid.

Asir staff;
    DMMWolf
    BlankWarningsign
    Xel'Naga58
    Vetren Kulitan
    Volt180
    Looie Lovegood

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.