Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

station anker

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Profwaldone, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Profwaldone Trainee Engineer

a block for stations only, allowing you to connect it to the astaroid making it a single entity, also allowing you to clip blocks into the astaroid so it looks like the station is actualy connected to the asteroid

2. Vermillion Senior Engineer

*Anchor
    *Asteroid

You can already "clip" station blocks into an asteroid as far as you've mined away. With the ability to place blocks up to 1 meter into the rock. It'd be ridiculous to put whole blocks through solid rock.
    Both Stations and Asteroids are static objects bound directly to the world grid. One entity or two makes no difference.

3. Profwaldone Trainee Engineer

i am aware that you can already clip station blocks into a asteroid, but that doesnt always work and it wouldnt be putting blocks through solid rock it would be filling the space between the station and the rock wall. i love building stations with a iron(or concreet via mod) floor and rock walls. but it never connects right, there is always this little gap inbetween the wall and the station. in a irl situation they would have filled that up.

4. Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

True, but there do tend to be gaps from time to time. But you could increase the depth to 2 meters. That way, there's less chance of finding space between your station and the asteroid. Yet, at the same time, the block would not be fully embedded since it's 2.5 meters wide.

That's something I find ridiculous, and feel should eventually be removed from gameplay. I believe that the only way to keep your construction static should be to attach it to an asteroid using a relatively cheap anchor (maybe we could use some of that gravel to make concrete?).

That being said... I'm afraid this topic has been suggested numerous times (including by myself). Is this in the megathread?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  5. Profwaldone Trainee Engineer

i conpleetly agree, i also see a nice opertunity for trolling there, building a anker under your friends ship and watch them rage as the ship gets stuck

6. Digi Senior Engineer

I've also made a similar suggestion a while back: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/movable-stations-can-be-built-insideon-asteroids-6943717?pid=1283174318

Basically I suggested making stations static only if they're "connected" to asteroids.

7. Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

Thanks for the link! I just submitted it to be added to the megathread.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
  8. Wombats Junior Engineer

Having wrote anker

Perhaps I am a wanker

Idea is bad

9. Ericius11 Apprentice Engineer

Nothing says "I can't think of a good reason why" better than insulting the OP. Good job at failing to add anything useful to the conversation.

10. Dr. Krunch Apprentice Engineer

Best review ever
    it's like poetry
    10/10

11. kristakis Junior Engineer

Add one syllable to the third line and you have a haiku! :D

for OP - the clipping is 50% of the block, so what you can do is carve rock on the "inside" side and have the "outside" appear solid. Ultimately though I think adding a mechanism that lets us re-create rock from stone material would be the best. It could just replace spherical voxels or once procedural rocks are in just restore the missing material.

Landmark (SOE game) does this and it works really well. They use the VoxelFarm engine though but Keen's engine is getting better all the time and footage I've seen of Miner Wars leads me to believe they may even be able to do this already.

12. Wintersend Senior Engineer

It breaks the scheme a bit, but you could add "This" to the beginning of the 3rd line to get that last syllable in.

13. Wombats Junior Engineer

Nah idea is 3 I checked

14. FallingWhale Apprentice Engineer

New rule: all insults towards bad OPs are poetry based. Iambic is fair game.

15. GotLag Senior Engineer

But that's only if
    You pronounce the word "idea"
    Like a posh wanker

16. FallingWhale Apprentice Engineer

Are posh and not drunk synonymous? How do you say it? I-dE-A, even if you say it fast it's 3.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2014
  17. GotLag Senior Engineer

Is Rudolf a red-nosed reinde-ah?

18. Dekarian Trainee Engineer

This example only makes sense if idea rhymes with deer. It doesn't, therefore your example is null.

Idea: /aɪˈdiə/

Deer: /diɚ/

19. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Why has this become of thread on poetry? If this goes on too much longer I may have to compose something in the Iambic Pentameter.

20. Cyber_Donkey Trainee Engineer

I like the idea of an anchor for stations, but what if it's a chain that ties it to an Asteroid? Or a pole, or something. The station would no longer be tied to the grid, but instead would float like a ship without engines, unless you put the anchor attaching it to an Asteroid.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.