Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Status Of The Programming Block

Discussion in 'General' started by Bullet_Force, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Malware Master Engineer

No, there isn't. Not a feasible one. I'm one of the people who have tried to fix this. There's been several professional programmers, Keen and non-Keen alike, who have tried to find a solution with no success. There are solutions, but no simple ones. All have a significant impact on what you can do in the PB, and all involves a lot of work to do. Even the simplest solutions involves unintuitive changes with what will feel like arbitrary restrictions for the coder, even further raising the bar for who is able to write good scripts. When I started working on the PB it was with the hope of making it easier to learn eventually, not harder. I wanted it to be a way to draw in and excite new coders, not scare them away.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thrak Apprentice Engineer

Didn't Keen introduce new faction roles to allow only those who "know what they're doing" access to the PB? Or did I imagine that?

3. Malware Master Engineer

Not faction roles. But there's a server role.

4. boromir Apprentice Engineer

@Malware does the PB compiler do some whitelist parsing before it up and compiles what's there? Apple has some strict rules about code for iPhone apps that must be adhered to in order to be accepted.

I suppose coming up with extremely strict rules (e.g. API call into the SE code every other statement) could still be subverted in the PB, then they would have a misbehaving script on some server and then failing the guarantee they are so very interested in keeping for the community.

But are you at least doing the whitelist check?

5. Malware Master Engineer

Yes. Of course. You can't exit the sandbox. That isn't the danger.