Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Super Freighter and Fast Container Transfer

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Spaceballs, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Spaceballs Trainee Engineer

Hi this game is so much fun.

I've been playing around with cargo transfer systems and realized I could link together large cargo containers without using any hull blocks or anything so I made a super freighter you can download here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=199316388

I started by making a 4x6 large container pallet, made a simple test ship to move them.
    [​IMG]

The idea I had was to have landing gears on the station that can grab the crates, for quick pick up and drop off of large pallets of crates. I found it easy to work with so I scaled it up to this.
    [​IMG]

It was still very easy to dock with the station so I Figured I'd start building working on the big ship around the cargo pallets I already made. I then realized...that's a lot of landing gears, and the ship will be massive. So I rethought how the ship carries the pallets and how it docks and came up with this, which uses WAY less landing gears. I also made sure I kept it under 5 blocks wide so that cargo pallets on stations can be stored efficiently like in the second photo down. Here's the link to the steam workshop file http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=199316388

When docking with a station use one of the two consoles at the middle of the ship, not the rear bridge. The rear bridge is just for traveling. There are also 2 fighter docks at the front. I hope I got all the thrusters placement good, I was able to manually dock all 3 ships side by side. All 5 cargo pallets are separate "ships" you COULD make each container unconnected by building them on to a jig and using a ship that grabs them all like the previous version I started with but the ship would be much more "massive", and the containers get unstable when unconnected. having larger groups of containers is much safer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

Very interesting design you have here. How does it handle with the cargo attached? As in, how well is it balanced? If conveyors will be able to pull out objects you could make a receiving center that has conveyors set up to pull out of each container so you wouldn't have to do it by hand.

3. Spaceballs Trainee Engineer

It's fairly well balanced, I noticed some quirks, I think because of console location but not so bad the I couldn't manually dock 3 ships side by side with 3 blocks space between them.

4. Admiral Yuki Apprentice Engineer

Does it handle differently when you jump into the other cockpits?

5. Spaceballs Trainee Engineer

Oh yes, trying to dock when your using the console in the main bridge at the rear is impossible lol, and if your just traveling then using the middle bridge console is awkward because you have to strafe to move the ship forward.

6. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

well that's pretty much amazing

and the ship is so good looking too

7. RSphil Trainee Engineer

nice, cargo ship of the future.

8. randomjack48 Trainee Engineer

nice thinking along the same lines, nice

9. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

What about if there full of Uranium ?

10. verticalspeed Apprentice Engineer

This was going to be my exact question! :)

11. Spaceballs Trainee Engineer

HA, I almost forgot about this thing. One of the patches made my only copy of the ship destroyed on loading the game. It was a pain to fly anyway, will be making many other freight ships I'm sure, just waiting for conveyors.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.