Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Super Low Sim Speed. Please Help

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Master & Chief Engineer, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Master & Chief Engineer Trainee Engineer

I just created a new server with an i-7 3770 and 16 GB of DDR-3. I have a 2TB WD enterprise drive hosting my VMs on windows server 2016 core. I loaded torch to host the games and got one loaded, however my sim speed is at 0.17 at startup with no one in the server. Is there something that i did wrong or am missing to help improve sim speed? The VM itself has 10 GB of ram and 4 Cores from the CPU.

2. Gustavo Julião Trainee Engineer

The space engineers server program does not work well on a virtual machine since it does a lot of physics calculations, among others. I advise you to run it directly on the computer, do not worry the server is even buggy and if you care about using the processing of your computer it will only use a computer core. Do you have any further questions?

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The ideal environment for an "SE Server" is a truly dedicated machine running a consumer version of Windows 7 or Windows 10. A physical core count of four is sufficient. Using a CPU with cores running at 4+ gHz would be my recommendation. That means your typical server is going to be underpowered.

I would use a consumer box with an overclocking rig and push that CPU up until it cries. 16GBs of memory is pretty good. I would also run an SSD for gamesaves.

Websites like Silicon Lottery offer guaranteed overclocked CPUs in the +5gHz range if you're looking to push every cycle out of your server. It depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Visors, virtualization, etc. just add more strain to the already inefficient server you're trying to draft into being a game server.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.