Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Survival Feedback (And general feedback I suppose)

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Ash87, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Experience: After Survival went live, the minute I could get the game to update, I put up a server. Our pop fluctuated over the night Between 4 and 10 people. We played for about 5.5 hours on 2 different maps (We restarted at about 4 hours because of a crash). What I have below is Bugs, Problems we ran into quite frequently, general feedback, and my suggestions.

Bugs: 5 major bugs were encountered:
    1. Some objects were not registering for some people. One or two of our players were unable to access a large container I built, and when they could access it, for them there was nothing in it, while for myself and others it had a good 15,000kg of stuff in it. It was dependent on the person, and there did not seem to be a lot of overlap in what would work and what wouldn't work for who.
    2. At one point I built a large container, and was able to clip through it. I could not even finish it without clipping through it to weld on an invisible box that would have been in the middle of the 3x3x3 cube that was the large container. I could still Access the container by the terminal, but I clipped through it still when I would try and walk on it
    3. Audio bug. Everyone had a persistent audio bug, where a loud screeching noise would scream in your ear if you turned power ON, when a assembler or a refinery (I couldn't tell which it was) would be activated. I believe it only happened if there were things In that refinery or assembler prior to it being turned on, but I'm not 100% sure. The sound would go away, if you went far enough away from the source. Once the sound went away, if you went back to that refinery or assembler, the sound didn't return.
    4. Destroying some objects would cause a collision, that would make the wreckage fly away. This only seems to happen if you are destroying one block that another is connected to, and that block falls... if that happens the collision will cause wreckage to spiral wildly out of control, as if there were a small explosion (And infact sometimes it Causes an explosion).
    5. Sometimes people would join the server, but not show up on the player list. Sometimes these people would appear on the player list later, sometimes they wouldn't. Moreover, we had issues with those people even Rendering to people who were on the server, repeatedly.

Problems: These aren't really Bugs per say (They might not be intentional either) but they were issues we had repeatedly while playing as a group, that caused us headaches.
    1. While breaking down a large reactor on a station, the reactor exploded with a force roughly equivalent to a warhead. It caused some damage which was easily repaired, but the reactor was inactive at the time it was dismantled.
    2. Sometimes if objects from an object we were reclaiming with a grinder, would fall a short distance and apparently pick up enough force to blow a 4x4 hole in light armor. This only seemed to happen when dismantling objects that had a large number of components, but it still would cause a ton of damage for only falling maybe 3 blocks.
    3. The breakdown of objects will easily dent and buckle armor blocks. This lead to a Lot of time spent patching armor blocks on our dry dock.
    4. If one person was piloting, another person being In the ship, would cause the ship to buck and whip around as person 2 moved around in the cabin. This made ships nearly impossible to fly, if you had someone walking around inside while you flew. Given how much trouble it is for a single person to operate, and how having many people working together in the current system helps things get done Faster and more efficiently, not being able to take 3 people over to another asteroid, in your ship is rather frustrating. The ship also seemed to start turning as if too much force was applied to it, if as many as 2 people were moving around in a ship at once.
    5. There was an almost inconsistent force for people running into a ship. Sometimes they would bump a ship and it wouldn't budge, whereas other times they would bump a ship and cause it to wildly spin like a top made of chaos and death.
    6. Gravity Generators don't consume more energy, if their gravity field is larger.
    General Feedback: This is just a few things we noticed, that aren't what we perceived as problems, but are either just statements of what we observed, or positive feedback
    1. Fuel takes a long time to process and acquire, given how quickly it'll burn. Fuel conservation is a MAJOR thing we had to deal with. We were frequently scavenging from the yellow starter ships to get the fuel we needed to perform even a short hop over to a nearby asteroid to get iron. We really couldn't decide if this was good or bad, as it meant you constantly had something you needed to get (Fuel) and it was burning rather quickly with even simple actions (To the point it wasn't really a good idea to burn your way over to an asteroid in a ship, it made more sense to jet pack over most of the time).
    2. Ships are very fragile comparatively to how long they take to build. The bumps and bruises ships accrue are plentiful. It took forever to build ships but they just weren't that sturdy against general wear and tear. They resist weapon damage plenty, but they can't seem to take just flying around and landing.
    3. Conveyors are badly needed, as are big ship weapons. Making a platform is the simplest and most cost productive means of getting a refinery up and running, because refineries burn through so much power, having them on ships will just kill your fuel supply. So, having a conveyor up that could carry goods To the refinery from an easy drop off point would be ideal. Also, the only way to defend platforms is to have a turret, which are still not working, and moreover to resupply that turret you will probably need a conveyor.
    4. It should be mentioned again, that fuel burns Really fast. You can burn what is relatively speaking a Lot of fuel, just processing fuel, or trying to stabilize a spinning ship.
    5. Some of this above sound rather iffy, but the pace of the game... taking 30 minutes to retrofit a ship that you had to nudge onto a platform because it ran out of fuel, taking time to get a reliable uranium mining operation going, having to scour the world for a few piece of nickle to put together the pieces you need... This is PERFECT. We were all playing for 5 hours when someone said: "You know, this takes a lot of work, but holy hell I'm having at on of fun." This is the most true to the experience building game I have ever played at this point, and I really cannot say enough, how impressed I am right now with this game. Fuel may need to be tweaked... but construction while time consuming pays off. Every piece of a ship, every repair, every everything makes me feel like I am accomplishing something, and doling out Assignments to other people, so a GROUP can effectively do their JOB? I haven't had to do that in... ever. We had Teams of people working on collective jobs, maintenance guys roaming about keeping things going, runners taking items back to the station... This is how team play should be done. If the game can preserve this, it will do amazingly well.

Suggestions: These are some things I would advise adding to help the experience a long now that I have played survival.
    1. Buttons that will snap you to a few camera positions. Top down, centered on the back, centered on the front, and centered starboard/port. When I was flying I frequently found myself trying to manually center the camera to these Same positions every time. Having a key to press that will cycle through these options automatically would be really nice.
    2. Pressurized Hull sections: Places to go, where you do not have to worry about suite energy. Before, the devs said there was no Place for pressurized hulls, I would say we have one. Sometimes you need to put your character someplace where they can sit. Having a pressurized section of your station (I would say station only, unless you are insanely rich enough to put it on a ship) where you could where you go to stand without having to worry about draining suite energy would be ideal. It should cost energy, it should be expensive if you put it in too large of an area, but having it would be great.
    3. Don't put the railing on walkways. Catwalks/walkways, whatever they are called... those floor with half wall... those need to take the half-wall out and Just be a plate that takes up one side. Also I would make them look like grates, not sheet steel.
    4. Suit energy and health need to be split up and resupplied in other ways. I would say you could keep the med station, but make it slower and don't let it regen health/energy to 100%. The primary way to regen a suit should be a station that instantly regenerates your suite. Likewise health should be recovered with food. Plus again, Pressurized station could be a thing you make in order to make food production.
    5. Need more intermediary steps. You get the best tools you'll need at the start of the game. In order to do almost Anything you need an assembler and a refinery, which are pretty big construction projects in and of themselves. We need to be able to start with some weak tools and build Up to a good welder/grinder/jackhammer. We need to be able to refine and construct a few things on smaller stations, and then work our way up to the mass production objects like the assembler and the refinery. Also power generation starting with expensive nuclear generators seems a bit much, having something lower tech to start with would be good (Solar cells would be my suggestion).
    6. Passageways need to be reworked. Either by means of making them into something else, or just being removed... as is, they are completely worthless.
    7. Wiring: We are fast finding that resource conservation is a big deal in this game. I would like to push wiring as a thing, because of this. Just a simple system by which you can run wires to individual things on your ship would be nice. Or you could run conduit through blocks with a welder to modify the blocks... there are many things you could do with this.
    8. Programmable objects. Making blocks activate in sequence to perform a function (The shutting of doors, the deploying of elevators, etc) would be a much welcome addition as well.
    9. There has to be a permanent source of materials. As is, you can turn the asteroid count up and get enough to keep a game going for some time.... But we need to be able to bring in new asteroids so that the game can go on indefinitely, ESPECIALLY if it will take a long time to build things. Otherwise you'll take forever to build your favorite ship, mining out half a dozen asteroids... only to then have to immediately restart the server, because now you can't actually Fight anyone, because the ship is too valuable to use.

Anyway, that is my experience, playing with up to 8 people.

Seriously though, I would like to reiterate again: This is a ton of fun as is. The things I am suggesting are either additions to the system, or things that would help to streamline the system... The whole thing right now is just amazing. 5 hours of assigning people to jobs so we could get our little retrofitted ship moving over to an asteroid, so we would have a mobile gravity generator to push all our mined uranium down for more efficient mining... that taking upwards of an hour, while another crew chopped ships down from full on Ships, down to scrap and gathered all those components in bins so we could build... We all were enjoying ourselves immensely. Hats off to KSH on this.

2. DJB Systems Trainee Engineer

I really like the current walkways.

3. The Leftenant Apprentice Engineer

I agree with you except for the walkways. I'd say ADD a double-railed one, but also adding the grating or perhaps changing the passageway to grating and ADDING BACK A LADDER.
    I really enjoyed the survival game I did last night. I planned to play only for a little bit on a small server but ended up getting lost mining for about 3 hours. Also, I found out just how-surprisingly-easy it is to move the mining ship as an astronaut when I was inside during a power outage and got caught on the door. Needless to say, crazy spinning occurred.

4. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

One way to get ''grating'' is to use window blocks or unwelded walkway blocks.
    Ladders should be reimplemented so one can move vertically without using jetpack energy. Though maybe in a different way than before.

Also once you've made a small mining ship and secured uranium production (since uranium is refined rather slowly, one way to get reliable fuel production on is to make a refinery with a sole purpose of grinding down uranium and then loading it up with bunch of it), there are no more ''objectives'' and you can just live leisurely in your ship. I think that there should be some form of ''pressure'' (like an upcoming pirate invasion forcing you to do an arms race against them) to keep the player advancing forward.

Needless to say, the survival mode has been a great success in general, and I've been enjoying the heck out of it. Great work devs!

5. Knatte_Anka Trainee Engineer

2 things i have thought of is:

1: I found it irritating that you cant draw a line or box of blocks in Survival mode.
    possible Solution: one way to have it balanced is to have the range that you can build within to be the range limit that you can build 1 at a time from where you are. and that the range rise with X3 and X10 realistic setting.

2: I thing it would be good if the amount of items i can place is shown i the HUD for the last ship type you hovered your mouse over X amount of sec.

6. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Yeah, the thing I forgot to add in on that, is that the railings should be something you ADD to the walkways. I'd prefer to have just the walkway though, because I could use that as a wall in a ship.

7. Ash87 Senior Engineer

On and one other thing I forgot, I had trouble deconstructing things in the assembler. Didn't seem to work when I tried.

8. Nabster Trainee Engineer

I would really like to see some more customizable difficulty settings other than simply x1, x3, or x10 for inventory space, build speed, etc.

For example, I would quite like to have some more inventory space, but not necessarily increase assembly speed.

I found platinum to be quite annoying to obtain. It only yeilds 1% ingots from the ores and it takes AGES to refine. You need quite a bit of it for thrusters, and it was fairly annoying getting stuck waiting around for those thruster components when building my first ship on lone survivor.

Also, I know this has been mentioned a lot by now, but the spawn ships are pretty ridiculous. I know they're designed to make sure you can get started even if you lost everything but they are really quite exploitable and, in multiplayer, because I can't spawn at someone else's spawn point we always end up with one at the start that we have to pretend doesn't exist.

9. Valdemar |FIN| Junior Engineer

Don't worry Nabster, rescue ships won't be that OP in the future when devs implement player ownership. See here for more info. Besides all, if you are serious and honest player, you know that it is bad sportsmanship to exploit them.

10. Zethariel Trainee Engineer

I really liked OP's format, so I'ma gonna borrow it

Experience
    : Medium sized server, >600 active objects active, Survival x3, 3 players present, "Asteroids" scenario

Bugs:
    1. One of my friends had a slower PC, causing his game to work slower (probably due to each frame taking longer to process, but he didn't report choppy visuals) and as a result causing his character and everything he piloted to glitch back and forth. Since the networking model seems to be authorative (server-client, not peer to peer, right?) this should not be happening, and other players should not be affected by how slow/choppy the other player's game goes in terms of movement input.
    2. On the same note, hacing a slower PC disabled said friend from mining - objects didn't seem to be pick-ups and dissapeared on him as soon as they appeared.
    3. Having a laggy player means that anything he drives wobbles back and forth, destroying any and all landing gears and attached ships due to sudden changes in inertia.
    4. Some mining materials seems to dissapear when mining at 0 gravity - they fly off and are not pick-ups after a few meters travelled. This does not happen when you mine in an extended gravity field, making mining like this one of the only ways to actually get resources and not loose them due to some weird bug.

Problems:
    1. The game's focus on energy conservation is a bit too great. We had to use one of our 3 avaialable starter ships solely for the purpose of processing fuel and maintaining power on the other 2, which had to be refuelled every now and then. While it is fun to do this, it is dissapointing to turn the engines on in hopes of relocating the ship, only to see that the fuel that was mined and processed for 2 hours straight lasts for ~5 minutes of travel time.
    2. The power consumption of large ships is absurdly high compared to small ships. A small ship with 3 reactors can go for several hours while a large ship with one reactor can't last a few minutes. This needs to be fixed by either letting players process fuel faster as an upgrade (so that large ships are actually feasible) or lower the fuel consumption (which wouldn't be so great).
    3. Refining, while fun and time consuming, is taking a whole lot of time too. Conveyor belts are REALLY needed as a cheap way to streamline construction and material aquisition - manually filling each individual part, even with 3 people, is more chore than it is worth, and game progression should head in the direction of automating basic processes, letting the player focus on larger projects.
    General Feedback:
    1. Straight off the bat - the game mode was enjoyable, and we spent a good 4 hours just mining and constructing, despite above mentioned issues.

Suggestions:
    1. Construction should be changed up a little - you should not be required to have ANY base materials for putting down the outlines of a ship or system. That way an astronaut can plan out his ship without having to carry around a stack of different materials for different parts or return to storage to get more, streamlining the tedious process of putting a single block at a time. It could be a holographic projection(one that can be clipped through and easily viewed from many sides) or just a thin skeleton that takes no materials from you (and using the grinder on it would not grant you any resources)
    2. Following the previous point, there is no reason for the line/plane building system to not be active during survival. It saves a lot of time that can be spent into actually assemblying the ship, and with how placing blocks seems to be kind of finnicky (you need the right angle and when placing against an unbuilt block, you have to find the sweetspot for it to register).
    3. The refinery and assembler should be able to go into overdrive, or have several tiers of efficiency. Players that have surplus fuel should be awarded the ability to focus on production, creating a sense of progression, making things faster and better. That, or make a lower tier refinery component, one that takes up less space and can be mass produced to simultaneously process more ore. For now, building ore refineries using even the capacity of 3 refiner/assembler combos is way too slow.
    4. Conveyor belts - my idea on how they work is as follows: Conveyors are basically just lines that connect endpoints, such as storage or assemblers. An intelligent design would include end-points sending requests and receiving their load through the belts. An example would be - a player mining ship connects to a conveyor of a larger ship. The minerals from the small ship's storage get sucked up by the refinery (which could have an "auto-process specified ores" function that could be turned on and off, one that automatically sucks up the ores it was programmed to get), and the output gets stored in the storage. Then, an assembler requests ingots as needed, and returns the output and unused materials to the storage. The process of moving stuff around could take time, like 0.5 seconds per conveyor - faster than running around and doing it on your own, but just slow enough to not make it OP for large refinery ships/stations
    5. Following the previous point, a conveyor could link inventories that are connected via conveyors, and manipulated to easy, manual use. This would encourage complex conveyor structures and would reduce the cumbersome need to run around and harvest many systems, which is something a person who expands doesn't want to do anymore.
    6. My general suggestion is for the gameplay motto to be "From Zero to Death Star Juggernaught Death Ship". To do this, players would start out small, a few ships and refineries, an asteroid, several hours of carefully planned mining for fuel and resources to get out of the red zone and into comfortable survival mode. Then, once that standard is set, players expand, building more refineries, mining ships, perhaps defenses if enemies are present. Their material need grows, but the time they actually spend on getting those is less, since the process gets streamlined along the way, improving ingot and fuel output. Now the main time-sink is actually building your giant ship. You create large structures that allow you to process faster, mine more, and in the end you find yourself bouncing between the need to expand your infrastructure (more ore needed -> faster processing needed -> greater parts output needed) and expand your project (build a larger warship, create more ammo, maintain the fleet).
    7. It would be nice to have milestones along the way, solidifying the progress and, when you look back, letting you know how far into the game you are. As it is now, the first ship you build is a milestone in itself. After that, perhaps the first large ship or station you constuct has the "Wow" feel to it. After that, it's pretty much just mass construction. I believe that a good idea would be adding supercomponents, such as a satellite array for a built-in station/large ship long range radar, maybe a shield generator that could protect the outer layer of the ship with a thin, resilient blanket, or an amazing railgun that only the largest of ships can power and house. Bottom line is, this game needs to expand the end-game by adding targets that a player will invest time and resources into.

11. Grimly Trainee Engineer

I feel like it is an exploit to have a free yellow "emergency ship" whenever there is no active medical station and we commit suicide. It would be like there were a reward for doing so.
    The jetpack + full energy on suit by itself is strong enough to come back to any point we would have been.

And as a following to Zethariel's suggestion, we should be able to copy/paste any ship in all modes. The creative mode would make it a completed ship, while the survival mode would make these holographs.

12. Dcjxd Trainee Engineer

While i support basically every single statement of those of you who made the longer lists, theres one point i REALLY think is a problem. The reach of building, welding and grinding may be realistic, but in simple gameplay terms its just too damn short. I can't even see all of the components i want to place and sometimes even get in the way, blocking myself from building.

13. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Experience: Okay, this weekend my group ran a server for 16-18 straight hours on Sunday, and played together Friday, And Saturday for at least 5-6 hours. So... around 30 hours this weekend played.

I would say consistently we had 10 people, on Saturday at Least 8 of which played for 12 hours or more, continuously (Bar 1 reset)

Bugs: The bugs from my first post were Not encountered at all this weekend, but we found a few more.
    1. Occasionally people would try to access specific containers, when they would access those containers, for some time they would be incapable of pulling objects out of the container. They SAW the objects, but the objects were stuck, and could not be accessed. This did not effect the server host. It would be restricted to specific containers, and would be dependent on the person. Happened with some storage containers, and once with a refinery. This one may have been fixed by a relog, my memory is hazy here.
    2. Occasionally people would try to access inventories on some of their containers, and when pulling objects out of the container, would get a different object. So Sometimes they would go to pull out a steel plate, and get a medical station component instead. This did not effect the server host. This required a server reset to fix.
    3. Two ships ramming at high speed caused our server to crash.

Problems: These aren't really Bugs per say (They might not be intentional either) but they were issues we had repeatedly while playing as a group, that caused us headaches.
    1. Gravity Generators don't consume more energy, if their gravity field is larger.
    2. Moving around on a moving ship caused people to frequently glitch through the ship they were walking in. It looked like the people were rubberbanding to their old position on the ship if they were standing still, so when they moved, occasionally they would be rubberbanded too far, or into a solid object, which would then cause them to glitch through the ship and fall out. This was a problem for everyone, and we ran into it all weekend.
    3. While a bit hesitant to put this here, we could run about 7 people max, before we started to run into lag. My computer is pretty good, with a ton of ram, I have a really good ISP, and no one in my house was running anything that caused our network to have problems, so I ran the server with Up To 11 people, but at 11 people it started to get a little slow. Our best time was when we were around 7-8 people.
    General Feedback: This is just a few things we noticed, that aren't what we perceived as problems, but are either just statements of what we observed, or positive feedback
    1. Fuel takes a long time to process and acquire, given how quickly it'll burn. Fuel conservation is a MAJOR thing we had to deal with. We were frequently scavenging from the yellow starter ships to get the fuel we needed to perform even a short hop over to a nearby asteroid to get iron. We really couldn't decide if this was good or bad, as it meant you constantly had something you needed to get (Fuel) and it was burning rather quickly with even simple actions (To the point it wasn't really a good idea to burn your way over to an asteroid in a ship, it made more sense to jet pack over most of the time).
    2. Conveyors are badly needed. Making a platform is the simplest and most cost productive means of getting a refinery up and running, because refineries burn through so much power, having them on ships will just kill your fuel supply. So, having a conveyor up that could carry goods To the refinery from an easy drop off point would be ideal.
    3. The pace of the game... taking 30 minutes to retrofit a ship that you had to nudge onto a platform because it ran out of fuel, taking time to get a reliable uranium mining operation going, having to scour the world for a few piece of nickle to put together the pieces you need... This is PERFECT.

Suggestions: Removed a couple of my suggestions, including wiring. Not because I don't think those would be worthwhile additions to the game, but more because while I still support them, I think them less essential.
    1. Buttons that will snap you to a few camera positions. Top down, centered on the back, centered on the front, and centered starboard/port. When I was flying I frequently found myself trying to manually center the camera to these Same positions every time. Having a key to press that will cycle through these options automatically would be really nice.
    2. Pressurized Hull sections: Places to go, where you do not have to worry about suite energy. Before, the devs said there was no Place for pressurized hulls, I would say we have one. Sometimes you need to put your character someplace where they can sit. Having a pressurized section of your station (I would say station only, unless you are insanely rich enough to put it on a ship) where you could where you go to stand without having to worry about draining suite energy would be ideal. It should cost energy, it should be expensive if you put it in too large of an area, but having it would be great.
    3. Suit energy and health need to be split up and resupplied in other ways. I would say you could keep the med station, but make it slower and don't let it regen health/energy to 100%. The primary way to regen a suit should be a station that instantly regenerates your suite. Likewise health should be recovered with food. Plus again, Pressurized station could be a thing you make in order to make food production.
    4. Need more intermediary steps. You get the best tools you'll need at the start of the game. In order to do almost Anything you need an assembler and a refinery, which are pretty big construction projects in and of themselves. We need to be able to start with some weak tools and build Up to a good welder/grinder/jackhammer. We need to be able to refine and construct a few things on smaller stations, and then work our way up to the mass production objects like the assembler and the refinery. Also power generation starting with expensive nuclear generators seems a bit much, having something lower tech to start with would be good (Solar cells would be my suggestion).
    5. Passageways need to be reworked. Either by means of making them into something else, or just being removed... as is, they are completely worthless.
    6. Programmable objects. Making blocks activate in sequence to perform a function (The shutting of doors, the deploying of elevators, etc) would be a much welcome addition as well.
    7. There must be a consistent source of materials. As is, you can turn the asteroid count up and get enough to keep a game going for some time.... But we need to be able to bring in new asteroids so that the game can go on indefinitely, ESPECIALLY if it will take a long time to build things. Otherwise you'll take forever to build your favorite ship, mining out half a dozen asteroids... only to then have to immediately restart the server, because now you can't actually Fight anyone, because the ship is too valuable to use, and no one has the uranium left to run it, after all that mining. I would say that this needs to take the form of proceedurally generating maps that go on and on; or, have asteroids float into the map over time, so you get more asteroids generating on the map that can be taken care of, as other asteroids are exhausted.
    8. Ship mounted grinder/welder attachment. This way you could get a grinder that would afix to a small ship, could drop/draw materials into a storage container, and could potentially let you finish ships much faster.
    9. I would like to add a whole Other post for something already covered in the "more intermediary steps" suggestion: We -Need- more power options. Solar could have a gimmick where it only works directionally. You could make lava and have geothermal power in especially large celestial bodies. You could make fuel cells that Store power... something is needed here though.
    10. Tow cables. A cable that you could use to fix objects together, would be a huge plus right now.
    11. We need a way to quickly load and unload ships/containers. Umbilicals would be amazing for this, so I can dock a ship and then unload it's contents without having to do it manually.
    Again, my group was very happy with how this went this weekend. Infact we even announced the servers were up, and had another 4-5 people express interest in playing. We now have a second server a guy is keeping up while he is at school, and again: This is a huge success for a game this early on in development.

14. zaaephod Trainee Engineer

Thanks for the well formed and thought out posts. It's nice to see a more adult gaming community. All of these are great ideas. As usual, we are all aware, and accepting of the fact that the game is still in alpha stages.

Bugs:
    We experienced almost all of the same bugs that Ash87 and Zethariel reported above. The most common was the inability to interact with items in containers, or get into a cockpit. Having the player log out to the main menu, then rejoin always solved the issue. One player also exhibited the rubberbanding behavior mentioned in Ash87's first post, #2 under the problems heading. This rubberbanding somehow resulted in the destruction of his mining ship, which had stone in the drills. The stone exploded from his drills under high velocity, which blew large holes in our space station platform. This was highly entertaining, but probably not for the owner of the ship.

Suggestions:
    I'm hoping at least some of the following will be discussed on the twitch developers vs. moderators stream.
    Obviously, game breaking bug fixes should come first, but as far as suggestions, or requests, here's what I've experienced, and heard most from the players on our server:

Conveyors, or at least, a less tedious method of moving cargo from one device or container to another.
    Including between small ships to large ships, or stations. Just unloading a set of 6 drills from a small mining ship to a station container can be a dizzying 30 minute project. This has been well discussed by others in this thread, so I won't rehash how it could work.

Placing blocks on unfinished framework often places blocks in undesired locations. Since unfinished framework is apparently transparent to the cursor, very often, especially when placing large armor blocks, a click places a block underneath or behind the desired location. If possible, please make unfinished blocks have solid faces when building. This would greatly speed the construction process. Also, I do very much miss the line / plane building method available in creative mode.

Safe ways to retrieve drifting ships or parts.
    We've tried many things to try to wrangle lost ships or parts of ships back to the station for tear down or repair, but nothing seems reliable, and what we've tried usually ends in catastrophe. Clamping landing gear to these drifting pieces causes the rescue ship to become uncontrollable. Using rotors to create jaws to grab these parts is not only cumbersome to control using the menu system, but they really don't work out very well, they're very unstable when colliding with other objects.

I'd like to second #10 in the post above mine, requesting some sort of tow cable or tractor beam, so we can save what would otherwise become lost ships. Damaged ships are great, they're fun to repair. Ships that took hours to build that are lost forever during their maiden voyage or first battle, isn't much fun.

Option to disable or choose very basic small starter ships rather than the current large starter ship. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this, but the large starter ships became quite a hassle for us. I understand how they'd be useful on other maps, but we wanted to start 'from scratch', just using the gear available on the basic station in the lone survivor map. It didn't take long until we were inundated with starter ships, which we began stripping for parts, but, as soon as someone left and rejoined, yet another ship appeared. Just out of curiosity, I joined another public server, just to see how it was affecting others. I counted 29 starter ships dotted around their base asteroid, and I'm sure there were more I didn't see. Needless to say, the game was near unplayable for me on their server due to all these ships causing unnecessary lag.
    Dedicated servers. I know this isn't an easy thing, and it won't come soon. I've got some very nice web servers here running Linux. I'd at least like to know if this is something that's planned for the future.

All around, everyone had lots of fun playing survival this past weekend, I know I sure did. As many others have been discussing on the forums lately, I think we'd all like to know the direction that the game is going. At least letting the community know what ideas are being considered, or what's being worked on would be nice.

We love this game! Thanks for taking the time to consider our ideas!

Thanks,
    Z

15. Malak Trainee Engineer

Why do you need wiring when you can just turn stuff on and off?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.