Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Swearing on the forum

Discussion in 'General' started by fourthquantum, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

He probably knows more swear words than I do, but my sister is strict on this kind of thing.

2. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

@fourthquantum understandable, but there is limit to how much you can expect when it comes to this kind of stuff. One of the reasons why I dont let my kid connect to my own public servers. The server she does connect to is a private server separate from my TBU steam group.
    While the games like these, especially Minecraft for example, are rated for kids, servers and sites related to the game are not under the same obligation.

3. Yossarian Trainee Engineer

in my opinion its refreshing to be able to swear a bit on a forum without getting murderpunished by the mods, but it should be modest and not insulting. i dont think he will learn bad things in this forum (maybe how to superrant about stuff in a childish manner).

You are the uncel you HAVE to teach him bad things! my uncel teached me that i as a men has to urinate in standing, let me taste beer and how to foul mouth around as i was 12
    not that my mother liked that but it didnt hurt me (after all he was a truck driver and i thought they have to behave like that^^)

• Like Like x 1
  4. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Yes but this is an official forum for the software company and its developers, not 'any old' forum. Most people would expect it to be a safe environment for kids especially if it's selling a game that children can own and may come to the forum to figure out how to play it.

5. Yossarian Trainee Engineer

Personaly the only swears in this forum i can remember where in this disscusion

6. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

Its the forum for the company not just for the game, what if they made a more adult rated game such as GTA for example. It is one thing to rate a game another to rate the content of a forum.

Actually, swear words would be the least of my worries. There are other things as well that are worse such as subject matter and such. You can do just as much if not more damage to someone without using a single swear word.

Kids at that age are also not as aware of not giving out PII (Private Identifiable Information) for example, then there is the issue of predators if they found out their age. This point btw is nothing on these forums, at this point I am speaking of general issues with kids having access to means of communication on the internet.

7. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

I agree with most of what you say however the forum is meant to support the game, so children will come here to figure out how it works. My nephew (who I can't help play the game and guide him through it) would need to come to these forums at some point to figure out how to play it. My sister keeps a strict eye on what he can and is allowed to access on the internet. I know she assess sites through a few things, what the forum rules say, if any searches she does comes up with swear words, inappropriate interactions and whether its good for my nephew (i.e. the type of people who post here). She also monitors how he interacts on the internet through a few programs she has installed on his computer.

It's irrelevant now anyway, I bought him something else, the name of which I shall not mention.

8. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

I am starting to feel like we are just going to go round and round in circles here so lets put it this way. That child isnt yours, if your sister wants to go through their net history and subsequently stop them reading the forum and even worse playing the game then so be it. That is her right as parent and guardian of the child. These forums are a medium for people to talk openly and in whatever manner they wish so long as it is kept respectable (to a degree) towards other people. Personally I would say if she really is that uptight about life for her borderline teenage son then shes got a whole new world of worries coming her way when he starts resenting her for holding him back from the awesome experiences he could be having. Just think how much he would love staying over at your place for SE night!

I mean Jesus, banning someone playing a game because a forum (bearing in mind the game is getting tutorials reducing the need for forum interaction with newcomers anyway) has the occasional foul language is just closed minded and stubborn. That's like saying no you cant eat at that restaurant, I heard one of the patrons describe the food as effing amazing and that's not the sort of environment I want you in......but what about all the amazing food? :(

It's a real shame though as you seem like a genuine enough person and have taken this conversation well rather than just ranting on and on or throwing your own toys out of the pram along side (which sounds like a common theme) your sister. Hopefully your nephew will get it anyway, find it inspiring and then be able to play multi with you to show just how creative her boy can be when allowed to try.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ragnar 407 Trainee Engineer

As a father (meaningless phrase, I know) and gamer, I can't help but think of every other case in which parents somehow demand or (try to) enforce restrictions on other adults or mature teens because they don't want their kids to pick up 'bad' behaviour. While it's absolutely important to protect a child, obsessively keeping them away from influences that these parents deem deconstructive while simultaneously tabooing topics is incredibly harmful in the long run. Forbidding a certain game - or generally any activity or hobby - because there COULD be something loosely attached that might one way or another subject a child to bad language or otherwise bad influences won't prepare a child for life but lock them in a golden cage. It's a parents job to instill critical thought and the ability to differentiate on its own what is ethically right/wrong and how to "endure" negative influences without implementing them in it's own life. Neither letting them loose on the internet nor closely watching every single step they take is really helpful. Surveillance of the kind your sister has put in place is only necessary when one prefers paranoia over actual interaction with the child, providing feedback and guidance on such complex matters as the internet. This topic is making me sad... such a shame.

• Like Like x 2
  10. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Like I said previously I don't agree with how strict she is on him with regards to it but that's the way she wants to bring him up. What I think I might do is take Space engineers on a laptop and let him play it when he's around me.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Now that's the kind of thinking I expect to see from an Engineer Uncle ;) Good luck in your SE conversion campaign ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

Sounds like a good plan.
    When I upgrade my kid's laptop I will be spending a few days showing her how to play. Part of the fun really.

13. Yossarian Trainee Engineer

Sounds like a plan, every 12 year old needs a cool uncel.

14. dustnbone Trainee Engineer

I'm reminded of when my daughter was 9 and her younger brother came into the house frantically yelling "A Bear! A Bear!". We lived in the part of the world where black bears are not uncommon, so we didn't quite understand why he was so worked up. So we went outside and there was a 9 or 10 foot Grizzly bear at the bottom of the driveway. My daughter sees the bear and says "Holy Shit".

I have never been so proud.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Proper parenting in the use of language right here :)

Thumbs up +1

16. eldarstorm Junior Engineer

I think that would qualify for that situation.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Always trust your uncle when it comes to bad habits. I remember one time when my uncle was visiting my family. We played GTA3, drank cheap wine and had long talks about how heavy metal and classical music are superior to anything else in the world... Good times. [\derail]

On the topic of swearing, KeenSWH Forums are very mild. If you want to go cleaner, I suggest Oolite (basically freeware Elite) and its Bulletin board. It's advertised as the "friendliest message board this side of Riedquat".

18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'd be more worried about my kid being contacted from Jared the Subway types on a forum than having to read an occasional swear word.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bumber Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

In response, Subway is now offer a free six inch with every kids meal plus a special surprise.

Oops.

21. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

At the age of 12 a man should know how to swear. Better teach him how to do it with style, when to do it, and when not to. Also, teach him that swearing makes most people look funny, and not cool. Swearing must be done properly, with style and precision.

If his mother cares too much about the young man seeing bad words, she's probably hurting him and raising a girl instead. Later de-pussyfication might be necessary.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  22. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Dafuq. Are you stuck in 1950 or something?

23. jhnwgacy Trainee Engineer

He really did=). In 21 century 12 years old boy should know how to cut throats and post videos on tube.

24. Dr. Novikov Apprentice Engineer

Zero style.

25. Sarekh Senior Engineer

he's right, though, I am afraid. Your ideas on the matter seem to be rather... antiquated. And to be honest: saying that something is needing "de-pussyfication" is rather poor in style as well. A woman has given birth to you and in the process endured much more pain than you will hopefully ever have to endure. There is nothing weak per se about a woman - nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

One thing I hate seeing in video games, is a desire to see them censored. Either the language is being held back, or other content. It can get a little hypocritical because books and other written media as well as still art (paintings, sculptures, and the like) are not affected or scrutinized as much. However... with that being said, I don't see a game forum, or any other public space for that matter coming under the same standard.

When you're in a public discussion, whether it be at the library, at church, at school, at a town hall, or where ever. You are expected to act in a civil and sound manner. This isn't an artificial or arbitrary standard that has been imposed by religions or society. Its just making sure you can get your point across in a clear, concise, and sound manner. When I was going to college, I had one of my professors tell me in one of his lectures that, "Sound writing and sound speech is an indicator of a sound mind."

Take a look at what Dr. Novikov said above. He was trying to make a point. Probably even a decent one. But he resorted to crude slang and offensive language. His point was lost. He said "Swearing makes people look funny and not cool." But didn't quite take his own advice.. and no one noticed it.

Should we not swear or use crude humor or language because it might offend someone? Should they just 'man up' or deal with it instead? No.. that's not the point. Heck even the possibility of children seeing it, isn't even the point. The point is, this is a public forum. Even though you access this place from a private area where you're free to speak in any manner you wish and other's be damned.. this is still a public forum for people to express opinions, ideas, and have a discussion.

How can we have a discussion when it is dominated by crude speech and swearing? It becomes distracting, non-inclusive, and well makes you look like you don't have a sound mind.

I'm not offended by swearing. I'm not easily offended by jokes, stereotypes, and so on. The crap that comes out of my mouth on my own teamspeak server would make the most raunchiest bunch on reddit or 4chan cringe. But you know what? I don't want to see that being said by others in the games I play in, or the forums I visit. I'd much rather they use sophisticated writing and wording to get their point across. That way it is clearly understandable, their point is evident, and misunderstandings are kept to a minimum. It has nothing to do with what is being said being offensive.. but everything to do with understanding what point you're trying to make, what opinion you're trying to state, and what exactly you are trying to add to the discussion.

And lets be honest. That's why we don't want our children to curse or swear, and thus not really be exposed to it if we can help it. Is it really detrimental to them? No it really isn't. But it makes them take shortcuts. It makes them sound incompetent. We want them to be better than that. To be smarter than that. Its about putting your best face forward. So do you all want your posts to reflect that you're a swearing simpleton, or an articulated positive contributor to the discussions at hand?

27. DrVagax Administrator

This forum is generally pretty much curse-free. However i personally do not think that should be your concern since the kid will be exposed to it anyhow. This is the internet after all and Space Engineers is not really a game played a lot by kids. I also question why he would be on here, what would he be doing here?
    My main worry would be the flaming and aggressive posts that you frequently see here, someone as young as him might accept that as the way-to-go.

28. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

For one I can't be with my nephew most of the time to teach him how to play the game, so he will likely come here (to the official game forum) to try and figure out how to play. And I know he is probably exposed to foul language but there are certain places where he shouldn't be exposed to it, I would argue an official gaming site for a software company selling a game to children that are over the age of 12 is one of those places. If you were selling a game for over 18's then I don't think it's too much of an issue but you're not.

29. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

@fourthquantum which brings up something else... if your nephew is want to do pvp - the game offers him turrets, gatling guns, missile launchers, a wearable rifle, Rotors, grinders, drillers, explosives, time bombs and, of course, the good old spaceship-shaped low-velocity bullet - basically everything he needs to kill his enemies and lay waste to their homes in order to hear the lamentation of the women. Basically he can live out mass murderer phantasies all day - or fall victim to someone else doing it - at any time.

And you are concerned about some cursing?

30. fourthquantum Senior Engineer

Which is why it is a 12+ game and not for younger kids. If the game had inappropriate language within it then that classification would be higher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.