Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

TeamRook Server: Autoaccepting Steamgroup

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by jishness, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jishness Trainee Engineer

Server closed, hope everyone had fun here while it lasted.

The server is available for anyone to join and I'm sure it will be mostly newbies. TeamRook is the name me and a bunch of old friends used for minecraft servers. They still play that on the same machine, but its got enough power to run SE and I love this game :D

The steam group is open join, its just being used as a precautionary measure to filter out griefers. I'm sure from time to time they will join but it will be far less than if it was available for anyone to join from the in-game serverlist.

I've got 150+ hours into SE, and a friend of mine also playing here has about 20. I've invited a few others to play, also newbies. We've got a 100km world but only using the extreme (16) asteroid field with 3x settings cargo/refinery/assembly and 2x welding/grinding. If we need more asteroids later I can use SEToolbox to put them in.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/teamrookgames <-- Here's the group, join it

198.100.144.139:27016 <-- Server address, or once you're in the group you can just search TeamRook and it will eventually popup on the in-game serverlist.

Rules? Just looking to have a mostly peaceful survival game of space engineers. Ship to Ship PVP is fine but no station raiding. Stations are to be considered a safe place on this server, ships are not. Other than that, Wheaton's Law.

Mods included:
    NASA Blocks Mod
    Solarpanels
    Letters Mod
    Armor Panels (by UncleSte)
    Armor Ramps (by UncleSte)
    miniBattery
    Concrete Armor Blocks
    Armor Thrusters
    BetterOreDetectors
    Maglock Surface MkII
    FTL Jump Drive v2!
    Kolt Command Console Pack
    DK Earthbreaker drill
    Codecat Cockpits
    Conveyor Expansion
    Weaver's Laser Welders

I'm the only admin currently, but I'm a stay-at-home dad and almost always on Steam. If something happens to the server feel free to message me and I'll take care of it.

We also have a mumble server if you want to use voice: server.teamrook.com (default port)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  2. Echillion Senior Engineer

I might try this server out sounds perfect for a new player like me :)

3. jishness Trainee Engineer

5 people have joined, 3 of which are in my faction. My home base is kind of like newbie central. The other two have bases of their own.

4. rrrrick Trainee Engineer

I'm interested in joining, but i have 500+ hrs logged in SE. I am still learning what works and doesn't but I'm interested in playing mp with some casual group. I'll be available Monday if you're around. I looked the other night and didn't see Team Rook server but I will check again.

5. jishness Trainee Engineer

If you right click your steam icon, the popup menu will have a Servers option. Click that. Go to the Favorites tab. Click Add a server at the bottom. Add the server address from the first post. This is how I connect to the server because it doesn't always popup in the in-game search and its faster.

6. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

I have to say. I joined this server a few days ago, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. Good group of players so far. Thanks for the great environment to play in!

7. jishness Trainee Engineer

Apologies for downtime. I'm moving the server to a Windows server. I noticed that running it under Linux+Wine was causing it to use up ~3x more processor than necessary. That effectively means the server is running at 33% speed. Even though everything was running fast for us before (except for when Servitor deployed his massive mining ship), this will make sure that in the future the game stays nice and fast, and maybe even reduce the lag from Servitor's mining ship. :)

Edit: Move complete. I've noticed a few blocks out of place in some areas, particularly if you used rotors. This is because of the server move. If anything has gone missing let me know and I'll replace it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  8. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

Oh snap.... My solar array is set up on 3 rotors. *hopes he has power* lol

9. jishness Trainee Engineer

Added Kolt Command Console pack and Armor Ramps. The mods together will make your login time about 3x as long, but it'll be normal again after the mods are downloaded once. I also opened up the world in se toolbox, cleaned it up some. I removed a couple of the asteroids that were 98% destroyed, and removed debris from old ships.

Armor ramps were added because I think they'll actually be useful in a lot of ship design. The console pack was added because it seems popular and I noticed a lot of stuff on the workshop is using it. It can be removed if you guys want but I assumed it would be welcome. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2015
  10. Echillion Senior Engineer

I'll try and get back on later :)

11. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

Sweet. Sounds good!

12. Servitor Trainee Engineer

It isn't THAT big...about 2'000'000 kg, thats all ;)

And now what? Even with this ship i still need to mine every 2 days, because something is running out ;)

Maybe I'm building too fast ;)

13. Mesarim Trainee Engineer

Hey Jish, are you having issues with lag on the server? What specs is it?

14. jishness Trainee Engineer

Running it under a virtual machine. Effectively its a 3.2 dual core. Biggest sources of lag that I can find are lights, drills, grinders, and welders, all of which only if active and in large amounts. Lights are something that can be run by everyone on the server all the time, drills/grinders/welders only while active. FTL drive means ships don't have to be moving at 104.4 m/s for long distances which helps a little too, because its less moving objects. I clean up clutter as well, and am considering the "all ships required a powered beacon" thing to automatically keep it clean. Less moving objects means less lag. The larger the world is the more frequently it needs to be cleaned up since debris/unpowered ships won't vanish till they hit the border.

All of that considered though, bottom line, with all of us on at the same time, as long as no one is MASS drilling/grinding, sim speed is typically 1.0. There's only 8 of us (I think) though. We don't have random players and their random unpowered ships/stations floating around.

15. Mesarim Trainee Engineer

the server I am still on, I finally managed to lag it down a bit, took a 9x9 grinder assembly, but it still runs relatively smooth. some of the hosted companies are offering seriously powerful machines for a decent price
    might be worth looking into, if it interests you.

By the way, doesn't your server have waypoints or gps?

16. jishness Trainee Engineer

You can acquire GPS without the need of mods because of programming blocks. I'm not using a hosted company because I already have a dedicated server back from my minecraft hosting days. Seeing as the dedicated server is singlethreaded, the only reason I would consider using a hosting company for SE is if the processors were 4ghz+ minimum per core.

Edit: Not to be interpreted as a get out of my thread, I'm actually happy to get advice from others. :) I'm actually planning to come back to Solar and play still, because I can't get my fill of PVP with so few people on my server.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  17. Mesarim Trainee Engineer

lol don't worry :)

Programming blocks to get gps. that's a good idea! I hadn't thought of that.

That makes for a much more.. evolved approach.

18. Echillion Senior Engineer

I would but I keep losing connection or the server host leaves....

19. jishness Trainee Engineer

I'm unsure why. I can think of 9 people off the top of my head not including myself who play here without issue. What kind of connection / what country do you live in? Our server is located in Canada, I myself am just across the great lakes in the United States from it.

20. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

Jishness, whenever you want to pvp you just let me know. :p

I wanted to talk to you about setting some some additional server rules to "enable" pvp but still keep stations safe. We'll talk in game tonight. :)

21. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

Yup I current cannot connect. :\

22. jishness Trainee Engineer

I just connected. I'll restart the server just in case. No one's on right now but me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  23. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

Good to go now. :)

24. Emu83 Trainee Engineer

Hay guys. I cant seem to re-spawn at my medbay. Can someone check it out for me?

25. jishness Trainee Engineer

I'm logging in now. I'll check it out.

Edit: It looks like you lost solar power at your base again. I can't find the array. We recently restarted the server and put in a different skybox. The new skybox allows for better solar power without rotors though. I'm flying to your base in my welding ship to restore power now.

Edit 2: Should be safe for you to spawn now. I rebuilt a solar array for you, and a reactor. You'll have to tear the reactor down to gain access to it though. Your power output should be close to 940kw on the solars.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  26. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

Yeah the skybox moved the sun, so my solar panels were at 0% output lol. Luckily I logged in while my batteries were discharging or I would've had no medbay. I now have a large reactor powering my base, so I'm safe from your shenanigans. :p

27. jishness Trainee Engineer

I shouldn't be changing the skybox again anytime soon. I like this one. =P

Edit: There's an update, so I'm updating the server, if anyone's wondering why it is down.

Edit 2: I've also posted this in a broadcast comm on the server. In a week we will be declaring the asteroid a PVP zone. An indestructable beacon will be placed there. If you are within range of the beacon's broadcast, you are considered in the pvp zone. For miners this is bad news, but for everyone else it's good. We'll actually have PVP, as opposed to none, and with less structures in the asteroid field sim speed will improve for everyone. Because this directly counters the no-station raiding rule (for those in the asteroid field) if anyone wants I will move their base out of the asteroid field using SEToolbox. I will also help you setup a jump drive if you want faster travel to and from the field.

28. exorcarnifex Apprentice Engineer

1. What's the beacons broadcast range going to be? 10km? 25km? 50km?

B. Is FTL travel basically teleporting or are you actually traversing the distance you travel?

2c. The map will not be getting additional asteroids, right? We have to go into the pvp zone to get resources?

Z. Ruh ruh... :p

29. jishness Trainee Engineer

The zone will probably be 10km out from the center of the asteroid field.

FTL travel is basically teleporting. But it requires power for the spool time and cooldown phase. Regular flight is probably cheaper in fuel, because you just coast with inertia damps off. But this is way, way, faster. My jump-pod crosses 90km in 40s. About 11% the time it would take flying at max speed with our current speed mod.

Additionally, if you plan to live really far out, the world size is currently set to 200km. So I wouldn't fly more than 150km out from the field.

The map will get additional asteroids if the ones in the pvp zone become too depleted. I'll basically delete the old rocks and add in a new set.

30. Echillion Senior Engineer

I'm in the Old Country England I've been having "Technical" difficulties with my phone line and hub but its been behaving since I threatened it with my SE Drill :)

I spent over 12hrs on the NOOB server yesterday so I'll try again tonight. :)

Edit btw my steam name is paul

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.