Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The Big Guide Of Medieval Engineers Modding

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Coggernaut, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

I wrote up a guide that should teach anyone how to mod in medieval engineers. The first part will teach you how to mod a sword from scratch, model it, texture it, apply the texture, write the code, manipulate the stats, and place it in the game for use. The guide uses software and files that are completely free, so you do not need any prior experience in modding, modeling, texturing, or coding to begin. This guide will teach you everything. (When it's complete)

I plan on explaining how to mod every single thing in Medieval Engineers. Though that will take many hours, for now I'm starting with tools, like swords.

Here is the guide:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=737551796

If anything is unclear, please post below and I will help you :)

PS: Please read the guide in it's entirety. I recommend attempting the "Modded Example" first, then follow it's steps of the Modded Example for when you do your own custom mod.
    PSS: Don't forget to update your vote if you find the guide useful in the future! I'm looking for accuracy to tell if it's helpful or not. If it's not helpful, then I need to go into more detail and make it clear and easy to follow.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Wolfgar7474 Trainee Engineer

Thanks Cog you have been a great help. I have learned more in one night about modding then I have in a year trying to figure it out on my own. The guide is very detailed and descriptive. Even helps explain to the people that really have no modding ability(me lol).
    Here is the bronze sword I learned how to put in the game.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800515081[​IMG]
    Then this is what it looks like after I learned how to texture it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=800515025[​IMG]
    Thanks Cog for your teachings!

3. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

Welcome, I should thank you for being interested in modding, most people give up. I'm glad you found this useful, If anything is unclear I'll try to make it more clear :)

I'm hoping to see some mods published by you!

4. ZZTong Trainee Engineer

So if you didn't want to change the sample sword model, you could skip the blender part and use the vanilla FBX files? Not being an artist, I fear getting bogged down in 3D art. I could start at 1a by grabbing the vanilla sword, right?

5. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

Oh yea, you can use the original models. Just dont edit the model lines. I'll pull up an example.

<Model>Models\Weapons\Sword.mwm</Model>

If you use this line of code for the model, the game will use the vanilla sword :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

@Coggernaut We'd love to see your guide on our new wiki. There is source highlighting available there and we'd be happy to add modding to the main page. Let me know if you need anything. I'll be glad to help.

7. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

Thank you, and I'm glad to help
    Medieval Engineers! I'ed be happy to see the guide added to the wiki-page. Though I would need to be able to update the wiki-guide whenever I update the main guide on steam. If this is possible, then I have no issues with the guide being on the wiki

PS: I noticed an Animation Guide, I'm super excited for this!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  8. CptTwinkie Master Engineer

the wiki is open to the public. edit as much as you like

9. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

Excellent! I'll hopefully be able to contribute more when free time opens up. Though you have my full permission to upload the guide to the wiki

10. Coggernaut Trainee Engineer

I'll be updating this guide in the future. Still trying to learn all of the changes while repairing RoM. Once that's done, I'll be able to update the ME Modding Guide. (And hopefully work on the Wiki too)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.