Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The glass....

Discussion in 'General' started by frannic, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I was most probably "aye-aye, sir!" This was... **ahem** clearly... **sorry** an artistic decision that may not have had "gameplay" as an issue, much less a priority. As I have already done, I could argue whether window glass is "essential" on large ships, as I have some very large ships with lots of glass that doesn't really need to be there, and I could also assert that if you can't see a ship through the glass you're probably doing it wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Harrekin Master Engineer

Cool story bro...

Tell it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The "aye-aye, sir" was referring to the whimsical decision to change the glass.

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You need some friends to talk to, "bro." Maybe they'll fiend you interesting.

5. PurrfectBlinky Trainee Engineer

Pristine Glass should be Pristine... damage should be damage and dust :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Harrekin Master Engineer

• Inappropriate Behavior
    Step One: Realise Space Engineers is a game
    Step Two: Bend over
    Step Three: Reach behind back
    Step Four: Remove large stick

You'll feel better.

Again, Space Engineers is a COMPUTER GAME..try not to go "full retard" over the bloody texture on the glass.

Lol, and he says I need friends...

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

My response was referring to the decision made by someone's boss that the windows should look more scratched. In other works, someone did what they were told, what they did was approved by someone higher up, it was put in the game, and then everyone moved on.

I hope no one believes for a second that this is the final version of the glass. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least six more before they settle on one.

Or two.

9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You are just so... novel.

Yes. It certainly is a game. Voicing displeasure over a decision within the context of the forum that is entirely dedicated to the game... perhaps you're the one who is taking things a little to seriously. It's a post, in a forum, about a game.

Do you have anything interesting to contribute or are you here to just criticize others and sniff odd smelling sticks?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  10. Harrekin Master Engineer

My opinion is abundantly clear, give us all the windows and let us choose.

Notice I'm not bitching and crying about a bloody texture tho.

On another thread you even said you won't play the game until the windows are "fixed".

This is for you...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Harrekin Master Engineer

• Inappropriate Behavior
    Whos this Johnny Taco?

Lots of people getting terrible butt hurt over a glass texture.

Same people obviously need girlfriends...

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  12. Conradian Moderator

As an open message to all participating in this discussion.

Keep it civil, stop with the personal attacks and flame-baiting comments, and actually talk about the topic material or more points will continue to be dealt and the thread will be closed.

You have all been warned.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The window dirt texture appears to be resistant/immune to the dx11 eye luminance shaders, so as the background/surroundings become darker, the window scratches/frost becomes relatively brighter.

Why? Perhaps because the dirt texture is in the "\Content\Textures\Particles" folder, and not part of the window model texture found in "\Content\Textures\Models\Cubes"?

14. Comrade Jenkens Trainee Engineer

Signed in for the first time in months due to this. What on Earth did they do to the glass? I thought the idea was that you can see through it?

I've taken to piloting through cameras as its more clear than the current glass.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I feel judged :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

just make the windows default clean and clear and allow the sides to be individually "painted" so people can tint and sandpaper at will.

17. Conradian Moderator

It's not a judgement on any one person in particular, but a warning to everyone who has or will participate in the discussion.

Returning to the discussion, as I can't remember if I've said it here, here are my thoughts.

Clearly (Pun) Keen wants glass to be more visible as glass. At present when you're inside glass can be pretty invisible save for a slight blue tint. By adding the scratches they feel it makes the glass visible, like those stickers we put on our glass doors at my house to stop my brother running into them when they were shut.

The problem is there's no reason for the glass to be scratched so instantly unless our engineers are crap at installation. On top of that the textures are very low quality, which doesn't help matters.

I personally think that would we should be looking at is adding filament wires into the glass to improve it's visibility. This would be much like the filament wires you see on the back windows of cars to heat them, except they'd actually be embedded in the glass. There would have to be a balance found between what is too little and what is too much, but I think it's a much better option than scratches.

Also, I really think we should have two types of glass, tinted (one side) and clear (both sides), for use in ship interiors.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Harrekin Master Engineer

So...

Will I put you down for "moar options please" then?

19. Conradian Moderator

@Harrekin In essence yes, where appropriate. I really think SE needs the multiblock scrolling that ME has so they can cut the G-Menu down a lot, in turn letting them add more options.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Even though I am fine with the glass as is, it's a sore point for a fair amount of people. I get what they were going after, but it appears most people want pristine ships, at least when first built. I don't know if the "damage-over-time" thing would work without melting GPU's, so perhaps the ability to choose textures is in order.

As it is, I wouldn't choose the current glass texture only because there's only one and it looks a bit odd if you have several panes side-by-side.

21. Harrekin Master Engineer

Shouldve done one large texture split across whatever connected windows like the armour blocks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Glass should not be scratched when it is brand new, I understand Marek's want of having glass visible when looking through glass, scratching it is not the best way of doing this, there needs to be another way, scratching it is unacceptable.

Blocks should age, if blocks aged depending on how you use them, the environments they are put in, they should look different.. and in the case of glass, it should not be scratched when brand new... if it is hit by something, then it gets scratched in the area it is hit... or when shot, for example that splintered type look that bullet proof glass looks like when shot, glass should also "Shatter" when damaged beyond it's limit... this would be awesome..

What would make a block age?

Environmental Hazards, Extreme Temperatures, Extreme Environments, Entering a large Planets Atmosphere for example such as earth like, discoloration of blocks, heating of blocks, I do not mean damaging or destroying the blocks, I mean heating them so they are discolored... blocks should be effected by the environment.. all blocks.. This in itself would lead to more gameplay possibilities, for example maybe on a dusty planet or area of a planet that is sandy/windy blocks will get dirty.. Mars like planet being one of the dusty planets.

Maybe some blocks are more sensitive than others, maybe some need to be protected when entering a planets atmosphere from space, maybe heating them could damage them.

What blocks could be considered sensitive to being heated?

Medbay perhaps? Cockpit? Reactor? Battery? Warhead?

What would happen when sensitive blocks are heated past their limit?

Maybe they stop functioning, maybe they explode? Maybe you cannot grind them down to regain certain components? and in the case of Glass, it becomes discolored and harder to see through.There are so many things that Keen could be doing to make Survival more of a challenge and more enjoyable.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

Gradual wear and tear is a nice concept, but it'd probably just be a headache on multiple levels.

More obvious damage states, on the other hand, would be lovely. Screw scratches on damaged glass, give me spiderweb fractures!

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

After thinking about the glass...

Marek wanted a change in the glass because his observation was that the glass wasn't distinguishable enough from the sky on a planet.
    Here's the news: blue glass against a blue sky is going to be hard to make out.
    The solution isn't to turn the glass into a window washer's worst nightmare.

The solution (if we really need one) is to find another shade of blue that doesn't blend in with blue skies above a planet.

I can't believe that for two patches and two hotfixes this has gone on as if it is acceptable. The community seriously dislikes this change and for good reason. Glass is for seeing out of. Considering that glass is the only option for large ship bridges, having a clear view is pretty standard. We shouldn't have to resort to mods to be able to see out of them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

It's not that the glass blends in with the sky.

It's that you can't tell glass is in front of you. It's perfectly transparent. Even real glass is only rarely perfectly transparent. The glass in the game doesn't have reflections or anything.

Again, the solution here is to tint the glass (preferably grey, like the original DX11 glass was) or to add in something like painted stripes or security wire.

26. Aracus Senior Engineer

Simplest solution is really to just but a light but noticeable tint on the inside and the heavier tint on the outside and be done with it, if you want you can put on the dirt-smudges around the edges from last iteration, just leave the majority of it clear enough to see through!

I'm still amused and confused by BlackUmbrellas, disagreeing with clear windows which should be a given but actually supporting much more controversial laser suggestion..

27. Harrekin Master Engineer

Maybe Marek could just get some of those little butterfly stickers (to stop kids running into closed doors) to stick on the glass so he doesn't walk into it?

• Funny Funny x 3
  28. Aracus Senior Engineer

Space engineers Marek safe window edition?

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

I don't "disagree with clear windows", I just understand that the current ones aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Like I've said, the problem seems primarily to be some sort of graphical glitch that makes them nearly opaque. Without that, they'd be scuffed up, yeah, but not that badly.

Like I've said before; Keen will eventually settle on something that works. I've repeatedly thrown in my suggestion that the best solution to the problem they're dealing with would be to just lightly tint the windows again or add some sort of light decal or to give them "safety mesh".

30. Frigidman Apprentice Engineer

Sadly I have had to pop my no-mods cherry, and resort to mods for decent windows... as it is clear (no pun intended?) that Keen have zero intention of changing what they did.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.