Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The Great Physics Inquisition Begins!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by GDFKingTigerTank, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]
    Code:
    [SIZE=4][B]Come find out about the Physics Inquisition[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=6]at our official Space Engineers Wiki Page![/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.spaceengineerswiki.com/PISdOFF"]LINK![/URL]
    [/B]
    [I][SIZE=3]Note:  We apologize for any confusion to forum users - all the information that was here has been moved over to the wiki because it's easier to manage in one place.[/SIZE][/I]

[SIZE=4]May Newton be with us and keep us safe as we embark upon this great endeavor, Amen![/SIZE]

2. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

this is awesome. if i didn't plan to do stuff with friends almost exclusively i would sign up

still, can i suggest a much more appealing and righteous logo?
    [​IMG]

3. tcezar Trainee Engineer

I was expecting something like Lordcomissar said

But it's a pretty nice idea the story behind it

4. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]
    Ok, take 2 on the logo. Better?

5. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I can only assume that members of this delightfully self-righteous organization adamantly refuse to employ gravity generators on any of their constructs, and treat all who approve of such flagrantly handwavium measures -- like the good folks at KSH -- as their most bitter enemies.

In other words, anyone who doesn't play the way you want them to play gets attacked. Just get your own servers like everyone else who wants to play a certain way.

Troll smarter.

6. Jikanta Apprentice Engineer

:rof: Very amusing to say the least. Can't wait for an opposing group to this.

7. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

that works. your earlier logo definitely had the look of "we are physicists" but was a bit too colorful IMO. you need something that will strike fear in the hearts of people as soon as they notice it on the ship attacking them. in those final moments, as they look upon that logo, they will be consumed by righteous conviction over their use of internal thrusters.

idk, you get as deep in the 40k lore as i have gotten and pretty soon you want everything to be more grimdark :cool:

and if you do a geometric I and cite your parody of free use or whatever that legal junk is, i'm pretty sure it's not copyright infringement lol

8. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

What's this? Dwarf lord with his knickers in a twist again? Ah that's nothing new. :sleep:

Could it be that even with several warnings over the past month...Nobody REALLY expected the Physics Inquisition!?!? Note: Except for Vermillion - who made it his signature.

9. Caesar15 Apprentice Engineer

Judge, jury, and executioner?

[​IMG]

10. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Hardly. I save knicker-torsion for things that actually matter. A group that is likely going to get banned from most MP servers it tries to assert itself on? lolno :cool:

Now, if this topic were about a group that wanted to make its own server(s) where strict build requirements were enforced -- for example requiring all grav gens to be present only in structures that spun, and aligned appropriately -- that would actually matter. I might actually play a bit on that kind of server for the self-imposed challenge it would represent. That would be an interesting concept. But an angry group dedicated to ganking people because they're annoyed that they're not getting the uber-realistic game they wanted? Not really, because I won't be playing on the kind of server that permits that behavior.

Unless it's an FFA-style server, in which case you folks won't be any different from any other pirate. Bit surprised Vermillion's in favor of this TBH, thought he disapproved of servers where ganking was allowed ... seem to recall him saying that they never lasted long.

In all seriousness, though: how do you reconcile gravity generators with a desire for this kind of strict realism.

11. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

In the introductory post we clearly state that:

"any player who flies a spacecraft which defies the following building conventions
    are guilty of unacceptable levels of heresy against the laws of Newton:"

And we clearly outlined what exactly those conventions were.

Gravity generators while indeed an affront to pure Newtonian beliefs, are considered reconsilable.
    Why? They're not a threat to the player universe. You go make a gravity weapon and any other player can counter it in any number of innovative ways. No problem. They're powerful, but they're bulky and can be complicated if you're making them reloadable or automatic in some fashion. They're balanced.

However, in the cases outlined in the introduction, the easiest way of countering those types of ships is by building ships like them. And frustrated players who are tired of fighting against them may start building ships like them, and then pretty soon, everyone is building them. And there goes the whole concept of this game delivering a more realistic space experience right out the window. Note I said "more realistic" not totally 100% accurate.

In essence, such ships threaten to stagnate gameplay and creativity in the same way that occured with massively shield bubbled "borg cubes" in Starmade. Our calling is to prevent that same thing from occuring here. We're not looking for an excuse to destroy someones full scale USS Enterprise model that they logged 500 hours constructing. We're specifically looking for ships that are intended for active pvp and logistical support of player mining and construction activities on realism/survival servers.

12. PLPM Junior Engineer

OK, I´m starting to agree with you... but what about gravity propulsion? And also, Thruster stacking requires A LOT of generators to work so it could be prohibetely expensive in "Survival" (Realism) PVP servers (and that can consume manyyyy space that you could use for something)

PLPM

13. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

Yes we're aware that some large ships have such drives as an "emergency escape" ability but gravity propulsion systems can be messed up by opposing gravity fields.

It's also very hard to build a gravity propulsion drive that allows the ship to be steered without issues. (balance/proper asteroid size/placement inside the ship is crucial and battle damage could affect that balance very easily).

If it becomes a large problem, then this would be an example of a feature that would go up for a vote to add it to the list unacceptable crimes against Newton. And if it passed, would become a punishable offense for members of P.I.Sd.O.F.F.

Yes gathering a large amount of resources for that "UBER SHIP" on a realism/survival server may be difficult, but it WILL happen. Simply because it can be done and some players will attempt it, and therefore some will ultimately succeeed. A good example, from back in the old days of Star Wars Galaxies - for a while, noone was sure how to unlock a force sensitive character. And so they were a rare thing - also because being revealed in public was an almost certain death sentance. Many people insisted that noone would ever become a full Jedi. And yet... there were players who hid for months and emerged at the end fully trained, and they were a real threat.

Additional note: We'll be changing our acronymn slightly to be more "minor appropriate": From now on the acronymn will be P.I.Sd.O.F.F. I'll go through and make the neccessary updates on this page sometime today. Our wiki page is already up and it will be flushed out with content over the next two days as well.

14. PLPM Junior Engineer

Well, seems that I haven´t played SW galaxies...it seemed fun!

Anyways... now I remembered the rocket stacking... well, I wont interfere with you... (aslo how would yo know there are hidden thrusters?

PLPM

15. DarkGhost Junior Engineer

Some "old fans" are/were trying to re-create the same feeling you had in SW Galaxies, the same freedom, etc ... Totally forgot the group doing that and if they are still trying, though, I'm sorry.

16. Skeloton Master Engineer

Tiger, will your faction be providing a Buy One Get One Free (BOGOF) on ship schematics?

17. Lord Commissar Junior Engineer

there's an emulator for pre-NGE already out i think, NGE is in the works. you need the original game CDs to play it though

to PLPM, yes it was an amazing game, by far the best MMO i played (infinitely better than SWTOR). i never saw the pre-NGE days that everyone seemed to love, but when i played they had jump to lightspeed, which was probably the best space combat i have ever played. ship loadouts were fully customizable, and you had gunship sized ships with fully decoratable interiors. friends could load up in your gunship with you and man turrets during combat. or you guys could just hang out in space for the heck of it in that same gunship or in fancy space yachts.

it was everything that i'm hoping space engineers will be, and so far i'm not disappointed with the direction...

18. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

LOL [​IMG]

I don't know, depends on whether or not our members agree on a SODOFF policy (Sales on Demand of Fighting Forces) for any "Inqusition Specific" designs at our shipyards. Right now we don't have an official "Inquisition" blueprint line. Each member provides their own ships as they design and see fit.

Remember, we're like a church - not your local government. So members of other factions may freely join us, sell their own designs, etc.

19. Skeloton Master Engineer

if you're going to use the SODOFF one might want to get someone going by the name of Baldrick to being in charge of that.

edit: im wondering will something like this be acceptable? http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/468674025489434099/5300AC51F396ABA21958778A754223E3A9B3F2D9/ 4 engines, one has direct access to the exhaust port. The other 3 which are behind the other one and each other with one block of space, have their thrust redirected to converge with the engine with a direct exhaust port.

20. TheFurNinja Apprentice Engineer

I would love to be part of this!
    I hate people who abuse bugs to make things unrealistic :sneaky:

I will join when I get back from school (Totally working here *Sarcasm :rof:)

21. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

Close, but no.

The venting heat/plasma/whatever from the engines running at anything other than just above idle would clearly melt the engine directly behind it - The "flame"/"jet" that projects from an engine would go almost all the way through the next engine at full thrust.

Spacing the engines out further (say 2 or 3 blocks at least between exhaust nozzle tip and next engine and 1 slot for a slanted armor block in front of the 2nd through last engines to act as a shield/deflector around the engine) would make that thrusting system acceptable.

Easiest way to tell if a ship is in danger of being judged heretical - run the ship at full thrust and watch. If it has engines that have jets that are projecting a blue glow out through the hull, or blatantly going deep through other blocks/components of the ship, or they're completely hidden away internally so no one can see but clearly it's not flying like a gravity powered ship, then it is at risk.

I for one will not be setting up inspection points and asking others to "pull over" so I can inspect their exhaust venting system to make sure it follows the rules to the letter. I'll probably give you the benefit of the doubt. I suspect that others will behave similarly.

22. lucadena Apprentice Engineer

As an astrophysics student I must join :)

On a side note: Today I heard that there is a proof of existence of the magnetic monopole (think about a magnet with + on both sides.

This could led to big discoveries (think about the simple discovery of an elecrtical monopole :the electron gave us elecricity), maybe before 2077 gravitons will be officially proved and gravity generators will be reality :)

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-physicists-synthetic-magnetic-monopole-years.html

23. Skeloton Master Engineer

Tiger, main thing is this argument of heat is a bit off considering the only thing going into the thrusters at the moment is electricity, no rocket fuel or anything that can be turned into a ionized plasma then ejected. For all we know that jet effect is just that, an effect to help us comprehend.

but yeah, more space between thrusters would look better. Less cramped.

24. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

It doesn't have to be heat. Lets say it is some sort of an "ion engine" and just emits very fast moving charged particles and somehow no heat.

Ok, you're still bombarding whatever is behind your thruster with magnetically charged particles. That's not healthy for electronic components. Even if it's just armor you're hitting, it's still creating a polarized spot on your hull. That will still realistically effect the calibration of your sensors and delicate electronics.

It would be like having a mine sweeper that you could never "degauss" in order to keep it from triggering magnetic mines.

Also, if you're directly bombarding a piece of your ship with the wash from a thruster, that's going to heavily negate the effect of the thruster because the particles are going to just collide into it, thus slowing your ship back down.

Fur-Ninja and Lucadena, glad to have you with us.

25. Skeloton Master Engineer

Yeah I suppose, I guess I have this deeply seated love for Homeworld and its fusion drives :)

Btw where do I sign up, all my ships so far comply with your rules. Did it all on instinct, never thought about internal thrusters until I joined the forum.

P.s. Im more of a Tyranid fan myself but Im a proud owner of a Baneblade (still painting it)

26. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

You just did, welcome to the Inquisition.

If people want their names recorded officially on the wiki as open members, I will log them there as requested. The benefit is simple - opportunities for cooperation against heretics and the development of teamwork and friendships.

If people wish to remain covert members, then their membership will not be officially recorded. They may pm me if they wish simply so that we can get a halfway accurate count of covert members operating on our behalf.

27. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

Long live internal thrusters !
    Long live the gravity generator, which does defy Newtons law which is your whole reason for being so Dwarf is spot on with what he's saying, in regards to all of it.
    Your excuse , which is to ignore the gravity generator doesn't cut it......
    You don't think its obnoxious to post PISSOFF on the forum title in caps ?! wtf were you thinking dude !

Can I ask, ultra realistic, really ?
    Sound and explosions in space in the game should they be outlawed too ?
    What about the magic power reactors ?
    Hell while were at it, do you guys really think its realistic to believe humans will even have a base on the moon by 2077 or is it all just a little far fetched ? hahaha

Never loose sight of the 'fact' this game is designed for 'fun' not ultra realism, it will always be geared around entertainment.

28. Skeloton Master Engineer

Piddlefoot, I was going to post "Not sure if serious" but then I decided this has to be a jest.

Don't get hung up over the "ultra realism" Im confident that Tiger isn't one of those people seeking a pure simulator.

29. GDFKingTigerTank Apprentice Engineer

Piddlefoot, you would make a great High Inquisitor. Although I'd recommend a little bit of reading on the Warhammer 40k universe and some Monty Python to round out your rough edges. Should I consider that post your official application?

Don't worry good sir, we're all about entertainment here. 5 out of 5 robot chickens agree - this is the most rawkous party this side of Ganymede. By the time we're done, Pope Alexander VI will be rolling in his tomb in envy.

30. Skeloton Master Engineer

Tiger you should see my rabbit, a vlaamse reus (big fecking rabbit) shes white with sharp pointy teeth....she can leap <------------> far and is surrounded by bones.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.