Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The Great Physics Inquisition Begins!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by GDFKingTigerTank, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Floseidon Trainee Engineer

WARNING THIS POST MIGHT HURT NON FANATICS FEELINGS :woot:

I have an announcement! After careful observation the game has a core flaw. Large ship go slower than small ships. Most of you physics majors will agree with me that in space you have no air to resist so large ships since that have larger thrusters should have a higher max speed but should have variable acceleration because of their mass. Even if you get out of the solar system (you start in a solar system, if you didn't then you would have very little natural light with a bunch of other things.) Outside of the entire heliosphere and into the denser plasma of the "interstellar" space the small ship should still not have an edge. I hate how people compare space battles to naval battles because they say "small ships are like fighters and large ships are like battleships" a closer analogy would be to have vehicles on ice and still that is far from it. Developers need to stray away from the star wars model (even though it's great) and start thinking in real life if they want to make something with more realism.

2. Willemina Senior Engineer

Everyone has the same max speed (It's the law!), but larger ships will generally have a lower acceleration due to their lower thrust:mass ratio. Unless you pile the thrusters on, in which case, have fun.

I was a physics major, and I endorse this message. :thumb:

3. Floseidon Trainee Engineer

I agree with acceleration I know everyone has the same max speed (just below speed of light unless you use extra tech) and I see where I messed up

EPIC FAIL

4. Floseidon Trainee Engineer

But still the SYSTEM IS BROKEN

NO MAX SPEED FTG

5. Willemina Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

6. Floseidon Trainee Engineer

7. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

large ships will often accelerate slower due to a worse thrust/mass ratio.
    IRL there is no max speed (That you could plausibly reach in a real spacecraft), but it is there because sh*t breaks otherwise

8. AtlantisThief Apprentice Engineer

Point about speed ... its okay when max speeds must be because of technical limitation...
    but why does an astronaut reach higher speeds then ships. I feel no intention to build a shuttle, as I am faster with a "footwalk", nerf astronaut max speed!

9. Floseidon Trainee Engineer

I say there is no max speed like and real space (except speed of light) and that you speed is affected by gravity because on earth we are orbiting at a high speed relative to the sun and at an even higher speed relative to the galaxy then the galaxy is moving in its own vector across the cosmos. It is all about relative speed like I am piloting my ship I am not moving relative to my ship.

10. wisdomtd Trainee Engineer

I think the mean reason that you can go faster on foot is so that you can catch up with your ship in case what ever. and I can see why did would do that, it would be very frustrating if you lost your ship that way.

11. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

If you couldn't fly faster you wouldn't be able to walk forwards on a ship travelling at max speed. It also helps if you fall out of the ship and need to catch up.

12. wisdomtd Trainee Engineer

did not think of that but it seems so obvious now.

13. C-Los Trainee Engineer

Hello,

I've been a long time follower and hope to be an open member of the Inquisition. I haven't been very active on SE but after a few months following the updates things have become rather interesting. Hence I was looking at things people have built. Then I stumbled upon this <s>atrocity</s> ship posted and thought I'd share so that we can laugh (or cry) a little together and give an example as to what the epitome of heresy means.

Enjoy:
    Concept ship with hidden engines

14. C-Los Trainee Engineer

Oh, and I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this. I don't remember reading anything against this.

-C

15. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

Wait, how does that ship work? The post would seem to show that it would work in a normal thruster-damage save, but how?

16. aRottenKomquat Apprentice Engineer

Been lurking on this thread, it's pretty entertaining to point out the heresies and of course the Monty Python references. Gonna subscribe and keep watching for now.

I run a small dedicated server but haven't seen anything overly heretical yet.

17. Maegil Senior Engineer

Would the Physics Inquisition be against a design that obeys the technique 2 while creating a "compression chamber" composed of a wall of thrusters concentrating the total output through a single opening as per 2A?

Key: x armor; /\ sloped armor; &lt; thruster; --- sufficient space to avoid damage, compression chamber; >>> thrust outlet.

18. Maegil Senior Engineer

If I survive the response to my previous post, I'll apply to become a Physics Inquisitor.

BTW, does P.I.Sd.O.F.F. support spot checks and inspections or not? Reading back. I only found inconclusive posts on the matter, stating that comms are optional, and so is the benefit of the doubt, so... are Inquisitors to just destroy unsuspecting suspect ships without actually Inquiring to give them the opportunity to prove their innocence? (Naturally, resisting would be admission of guilt, and punishable summarily.)

19. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

If you are feeling merciful then I would allow them to give their side of the story, but I don't think it's a requirement.

Also, welcome to the inquisition! it's been a while since people have been talking here, is anyone else around?

20. aRottenKomquat Apprentice Engineer

I'm here, just lurking.

21. Maegil Senior Engineer

Thank you for the welcome, I've already added the NETPI pic to my sig!

BTW, I'll assume my design was deemed non-heretical, and shall start building from it.

22. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

oh yeh, didn't see that.
    could you make a screenshot? I would be interested to see your idea, as I can't make out much from your post

23. Maegil Senior Engineer

I had just started, but it's enough to see what I meant by compression chamber: all the thrusters are facing the same way, and are to be completely enclosed on all sides except for a slit on the thrust direction. Optionally, it could be done as a cone, with the thrust outlet at the apex (I chose a slit because I want to place Titan engines in the center row).

Thrusters aimed at other directions would have their own compression chambers aimed at their same direction.

I'm also thinking of the possibility of layering these chambers (i.e. using the outer wall to place more thrusters, and covering them too as per in the image.).

[​IMG]

24. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

Technically I think that's against inquisition rules, but tbh I don't think anyone gives a f*ck since your using a legitimate excuse. On another note, how are the thrusters not melting the heavy armour?

25. Maegil Senior Engineer

I complied with the Inquisition rules by giving them enough clearance (6 blocks of distance) so that the thruster blast wouldn't touch the blocks even when dampening - I didn't violate rule 2, and used 2A just to make sure the exhausts would be "vectored" towards the thrust outlet.

I only used heavy armor to protect the thrusters from external attacks, not to resist thruster damage.

26. Maegil Senior Engineer

Here's a new threat to St. Newton's Holy Laws: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/high-output-burst-fire-secondary-thrusters-7073785

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=5XTs6Gygyws

By itself, this suggestion wouldn't be serious, but apparently Shaostoul agrees to it, so we might end up seeing a mod for it soon:

I provisionally declared it heretical, pending an Inquisition's official ruling:

27. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Witch craft? Maybe not.
    http://www.gravitycontrol.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bffd34ccda2b05074b545f9c0acd67f4&topic=604.0

28. Communist Penguin Apprentice Engineer

Just watched the video that guy was talking about, went a little over my head!

What he was saying made sense, but I feel I'm a little (by which I mean a lot) under-qualified to comment on the validity of it.

29. piddlefoot Senior Engineer

I bet half of you guys have gravity drive systems by now hehehe !

30. C-Los Trainee Engineer

Nope, I stand by my principles. Gravity drives aren't a thing unless they are pushing an object away from the body and not the body itself. This is allowed because even though the gravity engine technology isn't really a thing (as of 2015), using it this way would not break the laws of physics. I would imagine that all of us here abide by the rules.

Also... Heretic! :mad:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.