Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The S.T.A.R.T. Emergency Recovery Kit - bare minimum essentials to survive and thrive in Space Engin

Discussion in 'Survival' started by inigma, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. inigma Trainee Engineer

Download: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1581271191

The Survive and Thrive Assembly and Reclamation Tools Emergency Recovery Kit contains the bare minimum essentials to survive any hard start situation.

The barest of the bare bones. The essential crown start block in Space Engineers, without which, one is dead, and from which everything can come to be. The Alpha block. Minecraft had your bare hands. Space Engineers have this minimalist STARTer kit.

Don't read further if you want to challenge yourself. Come back only if you're stumped. This kit can be a fun puzzle to figure out if you refrain from reading the instructions below.

Good for both atmospheric and non-atmospheric hard survival game starts, this kit assumes you have access to either oxygen or Ice within range of your starting spacesuit resources, and contains the following minimum essentials inside a stock vanilla small ship grid Medium Cargo Container:

* Computers: 78
    * Construction Components: 42
    * Displays: 3
    * Large Steel Tubes: 6
    * Motors: 8
    * Power Cells: 20
    * Steel Plates: 145
    * Oxygen Bottle
    * Hydrogen Bottle
    * Welder
    * Grinder
    * Hand Drill

This STARTer Kit is suitable for building the following:
    * Minimalist power hub
    * Passenger Seat

...and only one at a time of the following:
    * O2/H2 Generator
    * Arc Furnace
    * Assembler

WARNINGS:
    * This kit requires you to build equipment only to an exact functional level and nothing more. Often you will need to weld, then grind, manage your inventory, and then weld again to build precisely to functional.

* This kit requires you to be surgical with your grinder. We recommend setting your game's grinder speed to Real for at least until you've completed all steps in this kit.

* Be aware that Power Cells don't like grinders. At all.

* Be aware of your inventory bar when grinding. Precious components can despawn into oblivion if your inventory is full. Learn to unload your inventory into storage what you don't need.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Build a minimalist power hub:
    - a. Weld an Advanced Rotor to the ground.
    - b. Grind off the head of the Advanced Rotor.
    - c. Weld a Control Panel to the Advanced Rotor.
    - d. Access the control terminal and navigate to the Advanced Rotor controls and select Add Small Head, and enable the Rotor lock.
    - e. Grind off the Control Panel.
    - e. Weld a small Battery on top of the small head of the Advanced Rotor.

2. Grind off at least 10 Interior Plates from the Small Cargo Container itself.

3. Weld a Passenger Seat to the Advanced Rotor using 10 Interior Plates.

4. Transfer all items from the Medium Cargo Container to the Passenger Seat inventory.

5. Grind down the empty Medium Cargo Container.

6. Depending on your immediate needs, you may now build any one of the following:

- An O2/H2 Generator and go drilling for Ice to refill your Oxygen and Hydrogen bottles.
    - An Arc Furnace and go drilling for basic ores to smelt ores into ingots.
    - An Assembler to assemble ingots into additional components to make a Refinery.

7. You will need to grind down the above to make any of the others as needed.

NOTES:
    The Medium Cargo Container must be ground down completely to recover 4 Computers, 1 Display, 6 Motors, and 10 Construction Components in order to have enough parts to make the Assembler. With an Advanced Rotor, Small Battery, Passenger Chair, and Assembler, you should have only 2 Large Steel Tubes, 20 Interior Plates, 1 Oxygen Bottle, 1 Hydrogen Bottle, your tools, your self respect, and an eerie sense of loneliness remaining.

Even if you don't use this specific kit, the supply list above (including the parts that make up the Medium Cargo Container itself) is the smallest supply list so far known that is needed to design any bare bones survival scenario, whether scavenged from a wreck, from drones, or supply drops, and should be useful as a reference in that regard.

Enjoy, and feel free to leave feedback!

Download: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1581271191

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

There are lots od people that do just spacesuit challenge. You don't even need hand drill. Just wolfes and drop pods enabled.

3. inigma Trainee Engineer

To keep the STARTer kit versatile, I included basic tools and bottles for those who don't prefer to play with drop pods enabled. If you have drop pods enabled, it just seems a lame way to get parts - as if the game designers recognize the deficiency of the initial start conditions of a suit-only player. It's almost as if the game design requires the ability to scavenge parts from a downed ship, but as my post proves, your starting supply requirements are a bit steep at this stage of development. And that's not even addressing the whole issue with the inability to find ores on planets in a reasonable manner with just this kit. If anything, this kit will keep you alive, assuming you can find iron and ice, until a rescue is made or you pull yourself up from your bootstraps, to get back into orbit or accomplish whatever you want to consider an accomplishment.

4. inigma Trainee Engineer

I updated OP with newer version that is even smaller than the original! Capable of being mounted to your small ship grids too! :D

5. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Think I am going to try a world and spawn with no tools at all. They only easy thing I will do for myself is spawn on an oxygen planet. Have wolves and drop pods on. See if I can live long enough against the wolves to get any sort of weapon to fend them off.

I will probably fail in 20 minutes or less lol!

6. inigma Trainee Engineer

Good luck! The kit should give you everything you need except weapons. You're pretty vulnerable out there until you manufacture your first rifle. You could always build a hiding hole in the ground blocked off with armor to keep the wolves out until then. Let me know how you do and how long you can last without scavenging wolves or pod drops.

7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

I lasted about 30 mins lmao
    Wolves are hard to fend off with 0 tools. Ended up taking a bad fall and died. :)
    Suit power would have ran out not much longer as well, was kinda fun though.

8. inigma Trainee Engineer

Well you do have weapons in the kit: your grinder and drill. Too bad welders don't do damage though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@inigma Oh, I was referring to my world where I tried it with 0 resources at all just my suit, wanted to see how I would do with no kit and no help at all other than maybe a random drop pod and my wit! LOL

10. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

As you know, it is possible to survive without tools, assuming you start on the Earth-like planet. You have to get lucky in one of the drop pods and find a welder and grinder in a pod’s storage compartment before your power runs out. It’s all about randomness and good karma and luck and whatever. Once you have that, you’re good-to-go.

11. inigma Trainee Engineer

I always thought drop pods were a bit cheaty, and a break-fix solution to the fact that when the beta was released, survival wasn't really thought out as far as how one should start. In a survival story, drop pods really don't make a whole lot of storyline sense. Its as if the devs realized a player really doesn't have the means to build from bare hands in this game. The STARTer kit was designed with this in mind, and is specifically designed for those who wish to play survival without the cheaty drop pods or any initial scavenging for that matter.

12. Spaceman Spiff Junior Engineer

The only problem I have with the S.T.A.R.T. kit is that a player, especially in an oxygen-deprived environment, has to build everything in a very precise manner in order to survive (assuming drop pod spawning is disabled). Yes, it teaches a lot of the nuances of playing the game, but it certainly isn't for a beginner. A beginner needs to play and experiment for awhile before attempting to run with the kit. And the tutorial is almost a requirement if you want to claim victory with it. Just my 2¢ worth...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. inigma Trainee Engineer

Actually, the tutorial is what I'd love help with creating. I have a video, but I think what it needs is to be incorporated into a survival scenario with instructions relayed to the player at certain milestones. I haven't quite figured out how to program a scenario like that yet.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.