Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The server by the community [56/100] [Planet] [RP+PVE+PVP] [Mods] [Embassy] [24/7]

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by DrSolus, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Saw the stream too, arose the same question to me. Starting on a planet doesn´t seem like the best idea as you have to come up with a lot of solutions very quickly as opposed to just starting out in 0G.
    A moon has similar problems, although: as 0,25G was confirmed in the stream it´s much easier to get on/off moons, got to give it that. It would be cool to start on a planet/moon never the less. However, if players start out in a specific region that may incurage pirating and greifing too much as new players can´t invest in enough turrets. And that´s when the police comes into play, I presume. Protecting a moon could work for the first few weeks. I think we should create a poll about it.

Depending on the consensus on the starting region, you´ll get your police department on a moon/planet ;).

2. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

Yay, i think we could also make roads so people don't have to risk their vehicles traveling the rough terrain, maybe even a public mine on the planet so people just starting out can have it a little easier in starting a base, but you bring your own vehicle with drills or cargo on it and mine then you can leave with your ore and travel via flat roads which would cut through mountains and hills and either take it back to their base and refine it or back to a outpost where they can refine and trade it (refine for a small fee of course), i'll be on steam from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm tonight (that's my time though which is +10 GMT) if you have any more questions just ask me then

3. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

what if in the embassy we had a indestructible battlefield (17x17 Blocks) in which players could have "friendly battles with assault rifles, maybe even an event for prizes (such as resources or even ships) this would be helpful to starting players who are having a hard time getting anything done, also maybe large ship holding hangars (limited in size) one per faction and they can be rented for one week and then that ship cannot be in a "safe" hangar for another week unless they are willing to pay 1.5 or 2 times the usual fee, only in space because most large ships may find it hard to land on a planet safely (in other words without slamming into the ground and being destroyed) but these may even be located in a asteroid

4. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

I´m not sure how the battleground idea could work, that would require more admin features, for instance temporarely alter respawn times for a specific med bay. Also, I don´t think there will be enough players in the beginning to have an enjoyable FPS event.
    If the player count is high and "minecraft-server-like" server features like UI scoreboards, sophisticated respawn options and so on are implemented - sure why not! For the time being however it´s just not feasible.

For hangar pricing and sizes, you´d have to make a list of players, rental periods and stuff if you want to have a progressive pricing system. Works so far. Makes sense to increase prices periodically. Resetting pricing multiplier if the faction hasn´t stored anything over a period. Good call!

5. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

Yeah the battleground was just an idea, but i can't do stuff on steam because it doesn't load any page except for my libary

6. magiceel3 Trainee Engineer

I have an idea for the server:
    Let us spawn on the moon. BUT make a ship that every hour flies in and out of the planet's atmosphere. It lands for 20 minutes, gets into space, then sits there for 20 minutes. Then makes its trip back the the planet to do it all again. Then, everyone is happy. Make it dock at the police station. Fly it using auto pilot. Simple.

Another idea on the same concept: Players spawn in a ship with atmospheric thrusters that just barely is not capable of making it out of the atmosphere. Then, when people find more uranium, they come back to their ship and are then capable of making it out of the atmosphere. That way people who want to stay on the planet can, and people who want to escape can also, just with a little challenge.

So, what do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

it's a good idea but i don't know how the ai will react to planets when they first come out, as in neglecting to slow it's decent, but it could work using timers just it might be better if it's a large ship rather than a small one, you've seen how long it takes to get to the planet right, i think that we may not be able to have every hour unless we have more than two ships but that also depends on how far away the moon is from the planet

8. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Regarding shuttle flights: As already said, AI is incapable of doing such maneuvers at the moment. It´s not a bad idea, but what are you supposed to do on the planet if you can´t take the ship with you?

Planets are hitting thursday: Weapon balancing and station almost finished! Testserver going up friday (hopefully)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

I'm still waiting for my computer to be finished so i can't play it yet but it should be here soon then i will build the police faction ships, can the police faction ship be indestructible otherwise every time i get on i have the possibility to have a destroyed or damaged ship

10. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

I would love to be on the police force. Sitting at a dispatch station waiting for distress calls sounds really cool. Then when the call comes in I relay the coordinates to a warship and they jump in. Freaking amazing.

Any chance of a team speak or other voice chat system?

11. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

well i would be willing to have other officers because i can't be on all of the time, but yeah i think the police faction will have to use voice chat otherwise it would be almost impossible to work efficiently, i hope you are a decent pilot because you'll need to out maneuver other ships, but yeah i'll make a space for you

12. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Welcome to the police force, I really appreciate your commitment! I marked you as a moderator in the steam group.

Note that every police force member will have the same rights and rank (for now). So don´t act like the boss just yet. :D

Regarding the teamspeak server, my StarCitizen Clan may be able to help us out. I´ll keep you informed on that subject.

13. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

I think we will have to have some SOPs (standard operating procedures for you non-military folks) about police and military matters. Not just outlining rules and punishments, but also what ships are authorized for police work, if the ships need to be marked in some way, and what our powers are if we see something happening. Are we going to be the military with big warships flying around, or just a patrol/QRF force that uses fighters?

The police force needs to be coordinated and responsible, not just a bunch of guys with guns blowing people up because their thrusters damaged the docking port.

14. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

In my mind, the police faction should be leaning towards a QRF with, let´s say 2 corvettes (roughly the size of the "IMDC Caliban-class") for patrol and ordinary tasks and a cruiser (size of "IMDC Cerberus-class") for combat. And small ship support of course.
    And as said before, the folice faction will have a resource cap. If a ship gets destroyed/ needs ammo or repair the police is allowed to spawn in the needed rescources, but mustn´t exceed a certain level.

Ok, police rules:
    1. Police is only allowed to shoot at explicitely wanted players/factions displayed on the station board
    2. Police must respond to distress signals immediately
    3. No insulting
    4. No mining
    5. No Griefing
    6. The resource cap must be respected
    7. Every hangar distributed must be entered in the rental list (more on that procedure next day)
    8. When logging in, peace requests need to be send to every not-wanted faction
    9. When logging out, refresh the wanted list if possible
    10. If you notice any insulting going on, kick the corresponding player
    11. If someone doesn´t pay the ship rent in time, scrap/delete it

Suggestions?

15. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

I don't care who's in charge as long as its not some arrogant prick, yeah we can work out a symbol for the police but i think that other factions ships should be marked so that at a glance we know who the ship belongs to rather than being clueless idiots chasing a unmarked ship

16. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

yeah i agree with those rules we may need to add more later, but i'd be happy to make any ships we need because i still need to make my own ships

17. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

As long as the cap and the ship count isn´t exceeded, you guys can use any ship designs you disire. :)

18. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

ok thanks, i think we should also have a drop ship, we would do base raids or even transport, that's until we have more people to do the job of transporting people maybe

19. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

i wouldn't mind also being on patrol in a corvette sized ship but we should make them easy to operate for one person rather than require many people to use it properly

20. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Server launch delayed to next week. I´m afraid I don´t have enough time this weekend.

21. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

it's okay i still haven't got my computer built yet so i can't even play space engineers, but as soon as i can i will build the ships for the server

22. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Small update on the situation: Test server going up next thursday, weapon rebalance mods are near completion (see page 2).

23. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

Is it possible that i could be the chief of requisitions, that entails that i would keep some small ships pre-built and deliver any replacement ships to any patrol ships while they art out on patrol as well as repair any police ships that need it, maybe even the clean up crew, such as grinding down the ships in the hangars that haven't been paid for and grind down the wreck of a destroyed ship

24. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Random freezes that occur when using tools make it impossible for me to get the server working. Once thats fixed I´m going to get the server up I promise. Just unplayable atm.

25. Telquel Trainee Engineer

So what is status of this server?

26. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Saw the fix on the freeze issue. Server going on this weekend, I promise!

27. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Map is finished. When either Spartan or Nickvr come on for instruction we are good to launch.

28. DrSolus Trainee Engineer

Neither Spartan or Nickvr is online/ was online for a while. Anyone else in for the police faction?

29. SpartanRedSand Trainee Engineer

i'm sorry i've got a new computer but i'm missing a part which my mother hasn't bought me the part i need but i should be able to be on the server soon hopefully

30. Crazie Trainee Engineer

I'd be willing to join the police faction. But a few things I want to know:

Do we get to have time off-duty as I'd still like to be able to have my own home and such.

I know you said everyone will be the same rank at first, but do you have plans for ranking and such within the police faction?

Are the police both in-game law enforcers and rule moderators? If so, I think you you should assign administrators who aren't on the police force to combat rule-breaking on the police forces part.

Also if laser antennas are going to be such a central part to calling in help from police I think we should get a mod that enhances the range of the laser antenna.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.