Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

This is an informational post. Personal opinion.

Discussion in 'General' started by Fanagorian, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Fanagorian Trainee Engineer

This message is directly pointed towards KEEN software developer staff. With all due respects to you guys, the game is great, but there is a slight personal problem, for me in particular. I owe this game from 2014! I consider my self a big fan and have played the game for the last 3 years. For almost the entire length of this period, my opinion WAS that this game WAS practically THE BEST game, EVER. BUT! I haven't played it for a wile, had a lot of work to do and recently, I started to miss the game. I enter today, as it is the first day of my several free days, with great desire to play my favorite game.. And... IT IS FULL OF FUCKING GLITHCES AND BUGS! The lightning is not working, AGAIN, the rotors are breaking, AGAIN, the textures are UGLY?, after the last update with the new texture and graphics. It was GREAT, beautiful and gave a completely new image of the ingame world, now the textures looks like somebody's BAD DREAM! HALF of my creations have glithces for some reason. And again - WHAT'S UP WITH THE FUCKING LIGHTS MAN? They are buggy... AGAIN? WHAT THE FUCK Keen??? How many YEARS are you SELLING this game and STILL it is FAR from ready? Do you work in a bath house? Is it moist there? I mean, what's the problem? You have created THE BEST game ever, buuut NOT exactly. It is the greatest concept, buuut not quite ready! I am really disappointed and feel sorrow, that my favorite game, is still at "contradictory" status, after SO MANY YEARS....

This post is a personal opinion and it expresses the personal views of the author.
    The post is not intended to be insulting, despite it's somewhat harsh language, as it is a product of emotional personal stance.
    With all my respects, DESPITE my recent disappointment,

Fanagorian.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Broke rotors AGAIN .... hold on.... at what point were they fixed?

Add to that the fact that it takes a brave man to use jump drive in MP with a landing gear locked, pistons behaving oddly, and assorted other glitches, bugs and weirdness and you can reach only one conclusion.

This game isn't finished yet........

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sarekh Senior Engineer

"I do not mean any disrepect, morons. I don't because I said so, idiots, not harm intended"

Good sir, if you do not want to be insulting, be constructive, not post a rant. Or, you know, read all the other rant posts and feel consolidated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

textures and objects do look rubbish.....at a distance....since the LOD thing got added. for optimizations sake! :D
    the game also does load alot faster. but it also loads all the textures and models in fast with the lowest detail then while you're in it starts load in better ones.

i guess thats one reason things look like crap.

the lighting while it never really bothered me...does tend to flicker...alot....it does infact ruin the suprise of the sunrise
    which is a shame because i...love looking at a simulated rising sun.
    [​IMG]
    as do my solar panels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Fanagorian Trainee Engineer

Good sir, I have entered the game, formed an opinion and assumed my stance. Please read the title of the "rant". My language is harsh, as I see my right to express how I feel. The clarification, about the insult/disrespect issues are as I am really fascinated by this game, I have no intentions of abandoning it and all this faults, bugs and glitches, after SO many years and still, we have them here, today in the gameplay, definitely makes me emotional.

When I say Lightning, I mean the original interior lights. This is the lightning, that I refer.

6. Roxette Senior Engineer

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/u...1-149-dev-bug-fixes-and-improvements.7386482/
    - "Improvements this week focus mainly on rotors, pistons and wheels..."

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-147-bug-fixes-and-improvements.7386210/
    - "fixed rotors snap after loading"

https://forum.keenswh.com/threads/u...d-voxel-optimizations-deluxe-edition.7391503/
    - "wheels have been given some much needed attention as well as pistons and rotors"

I think that's a matter of opinion and depends on which meaning of the adjective is intended...

finished /ˈfɪnɪʃt/adjective :no longer able to continue:completely ruined or defeated

:p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malware Master Engineer

Now, granted, Keen has made plenty of in my opinion questionable choices in their time, but the time used doesn't reflect badly on them. 4 years? 4 years is nothing for software development. It is a very time consuming occupation. We spent 3 years developing the first bare-bones version of our online accounting system, far far less complicated than what Space Engineers is, and we got a lot of praise for our speed. We had more developers than SE had at their start too. Space Engineers was released on early access in a very early alpha stage, most games released to early access are very late alpha or have already reached beta stage - and most games are a long way from being as complex as SE is. This game still has some dev time left in it, and dev time means bugs and glitches for a long time yet. Currently they're doing an optimization run. Optimization is very difficult, especially for a game like SE where they can barely make any assumptions about the world at all. So there will be more bugs. Playing early access games means tolerating bugs. This is just the lay of the land. And, incidentally, why I dislike early access so much, because there's so many who don't understand it - and, honestly, who can't be expected to understand, because software development is so different from many other project type jobs. Thus we developers gets an unfair bad rep for something that's just in the nature of our work.

I would estimate at least another couple of years or so before any kind of gold release, but of course I have no idea of Keen's plans. Oh, and it will probably be full of glitches and bugs for the majority of that time.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Fanagorian Trainee Engineer

I have played the early access of SE for years now and have tolerated all the bugs, that I have encountered. Rebuilt the same ship, several times, as the game was changing all the time,

Yes, this is true. I did not mean to sound like an asshole, although I think I did... hah. But again, to try to justify my tone, I really fascinate this game and it's developing team! Maybe sometimes I expect more, that it is currently possible, become emotional and sound like a spoiled brat. :D Nevertheless, the interior lights really annoyed me! They were supposed to be fixed ages ago..
    Oh well.. We will just have to wait.

• Like Like x 2
  9. DragonCMT Trainee Engineer

Yes the game is still in development, and yes some aspects are horrible. Rotors are a constant problem. But, you have to give them a benefit of the doubt, it's still technically in beta stage. It will improve over time. And the lights, try correcting your graphics options and V-Sync.

10. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Ah yes. The simultaneous blessing and curse of Early Access... You get to not only peek behind the magic curtain during a development process that has been traditionally very secretive and closed off until very close to a product launch, but you also get to PLAY behind the curtain and potentially affect how that development proceeds with feedback and suggestions. The problem is, it's usually a somewhat controlled chaotic mess behind that curtain, full of broken toys and shattered hopes! It's a scene that is not for the faint of heart, and definitely not for the impatient.

11. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Space Engineers itself rewards the patient. That's why we get people putting hundreds or thousands of hours into it. We spend way more hours in SE than we would in a typical AAA game with a single-player campaign. A shortcoming that would seem minor in a game you finish in 50 hours seems more important for one that you've spent 1000 hours in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RayvenQ Moderator

Here's a blogpost with a slideshow that Marek used at a presentation, stating that from concept to first release for Space Engineers was a mere seven months, http://blog.marekrosa.org/2014/04/first-year-anniversary-of-space.html

Space Engineers has been in Early Access for a vast, vast majority of its existence, so for those that have bought it, its seemed like a very long journey, much longer than other games that have had more development time before Early Access or release, especially if you don't know just how long games take to make or the time frames that studios are used to working with, which are often in the order of YEARS (And I'm not talking about games that get stuck in dev hell like Duke Nukem Forever, a good 4-5 years for a game to be developed fully, is pretty much a norm, an average, thats games that are made without consumer input, let alone ones that listen to ideas from their communities and work to implement them)

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

LOL! And the local council keep repairing the road outside my house, but it still challenges the suspension of a 4x4. I never said they hadn't tried to fix things, but I certainly would NOT say rotors, wheels or landing gear were 'fixed' as that implies they all work perfectly.

In single player, most things behave ( except wheels...they still have massive grip, stability and parking brake issues ) but in MP there is still work to do. Pistons also have issues in SP and MP.

It's folly to pretend everything is perfect, as anyone playing the game soon finds out, but it's not a finished product. Keen are still working on it, and patches and updates come out every week.
    If Keen declared the game done tomorrow, then I would not be a happy bunny and would probably be posting a beautifully phrased rant post myself telling them how disgusted I was, followed by a stern letter to my local MP, the Foreign Office, and the UN expecting an immediate resolution to resolve the matter or declare the Czech Republic a rogue state if they fail to deliver up the Keen Software House team for punishment. I expect US backed coalition forces to be driving M1A1's down the main street of Prague within hours of the first bug showing itself in a Gold release of SE. I mean....we deserve no less!

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Are you actually suggesting that we attack Clang HQ with a vehicle entirely dependant on dozens of rotors on a subgrid?

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I can already see and hear it now.
    a proud patriotically colored contraption strolling alone with the innocent enough sound of pistons and rotors moving before this starts blasting and it beings its combat state activating a surplus of rockets and gatting turrets locking gyroscope to keep steady as it rows foward

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.